Piper Jaffray: 'iPhone 5C' may not include Siri, could replace iPhone 4S at bottom of lineup

Comments

• Reply 21 of 104
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

Apple is losing me here.

Why having a crippled iPhone 5S as a 5C? As if Siri and finger sensors are a deal breaker to me?

Why not just having a 3,5" screen for the 5C? 3,5" is a cute size and a REAL differentiator. Some value screen estate, others value portability. Having said that, I wouldn't make the screen bigger than 4".

And why not calling the 5C, the iPhone mini? Like iPad and iPad mini. Mac and Mac mini? And hopefully soon, iPod (= Touch with 4" screen) and iPod mini (= Touch with 3,5" screen).

• Reply 22 of 104
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

Nonsense!! The "5C" that they're referring to will do everything the current iPhone 5 can.

By all reports the new 'low cost model' (replacing possibly both the 4 & 4S and the current 5) will contain "previous generation hardware" (aka today's iPhone 5 internals), packaged in a lower cost 'plastic' enclosure. Nothing else appears to have changed.

The 5S will advance the generation with a more powerful CPU/GPU, better camera & features (slow motion, et al), better flash, possible fingerprint sensor, maybe new materials on the enclosure (liquidmetal?), and of course iOS 7 with the "new SIRI".

I can't imagine Apple "crippling" the iPhone 5C that much. It'll be enough that it's last year's technology and lower-cost materials. The people that want the cutting edge will still spring for the 5S.

That is what I think as well. It will replace the 4, 4S and the 5. It will also very likely include the new Qualcomm RF360 front end which means Apple can make one model of the iPhone 5C and 5S instead of the 3 or 4 they need to make now. They will still make numerous models based on colors and storage but those are relatively minor compared to the current need for making 3 of each SKU. This alone will result in an incredible cost savings. 

I also find it very unlikely it would not include Siri. All this would result in is people resorting to using the Google app for voice searches. Granted it does not have the deep level system integration that Siri offers but it would certainly get the job done for most tasks. Why would Apple cripple a phone and fail to include a key component of iOS. That makes no sense. 

A slower CPU/GPU, smaller amount of storage, an inferior camera, lack of fingerprint scanner, and the plastic case are enough to differentiate it from the 5S without the need for disabling Siri. Very stupid rumor. 

• Reply 23 of 104
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member
    There is no hardware in iPhones for Siri, that's why you need internet for it to work. That would be a moronic move for Apple.
  • Reply 24 of 104
    hungoverhungover Posts: 603member

I wonder where will the 5C be pitched, price wise?

I'd imagine that whilst apple dislike the fact that the older models cannibalise the sales of the latest model (to a degree) the ability to sell an older handset which has already recouped development costs must be nice.

if the 5c is significantly better than the 4 or 4s then it will cannibalise sales of those units (depending on price). Is the intention to drop the 4 and replace it with the 5c? To drop the 4 and 4S?

it is an odd win-win or lose-lose case depending on how you look at it.

• Reply 25 of 104
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Duh.... Apple has to differentiate it somehow.

If the iPhone 5C has a 4" screen like the flagship iPhone... and a decent enough camera to use with Instagram... and a decent enough GPU and processor to play Candy Crush... why would anyone pay the big bucks for the flagship iPhone 5S ?

Because the Flag ship phone won't have the same specs, across the board.

• Reply 26 of 104
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

Ha, my iPod touch has siri, my iPad mini has siri, my old iPhone 4s has siri, my iPhone 5 has siri, my 3rd gen iPad has siri so why wouldn't a new iPhone have siri?, even if it is meant to be more affordable.

• Reply 27 of 104
    harmonharmon Posts: 48member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

That is what I think as well. It will replace the 4, 4S and the 5. It will also very likely include the new Qualcomm RF360 front end which means Apple can make one model of the iPhone 5C and 5S instead of the 3 or 4 they need to make now. They will still make numerous models based on colors and storage but those are relatively minor compared to the current need for making 3 of each SKU. This alone will result in an incredible cost savings. 

I also find it very unlikely it would not include Siri. All this would result in is people resorting to using the Google app for voice searches. Granted it does not have the deep level system integration that Siri offers but it would certainly get the job done for most tasks. Why would Apple cripple a phone and fail to include a key component of iOS. That makes no sense. 

A slower CPU/GPU, smaller amount of storage, an inferior camera, lack of fingerprint scanner, and the plastic case are enough to differentiate it from the 5S without the need for disabling Siri. Very stupid rumor. 

(1)  I agree 100%.  You've hit on something that seems to have been overlooked by most.  It appears Apple decided about a year or so ago that they needed a cheaper phone to compete in China and other markets.  Would it take Apple a full year to design a plastic case and put the iPhone 5 internals inside it?  Of course not, so why wait?

I suspect they were waiting on the Qualcomm RF360 so that the 5c and 5s will both be compatible with China Mobile's 3G and LTE networks.  740 million subscribers can't be easily ignored.  China Mobile's chairman has recently said that 11 TD-LTE smartphones will be launched in China this year.  I'm going to make a bold prediction that on September 10th we are going to hear from Tim Cook that the iPhone 5c and 5s will be two of those and that at least the 5c, if not both, will be carried by China Mobile.

(2)  Munster's Siri-less 5c speculation is the dumbest prediction I have heard from a supposedly reputable source.  I don't think I can ever take anything he says seriously again.

• Reply 28 of 104

Overall, it is a good idea because this stop the low end iPhone from cannibalizing  sales of the higher end iPhones, it will save cost where the infrastructure for SIRI does not exist and also it will take a load off of the SIRI servers.

I use SIRI a lot but other people may not.  Some countries may not offer the infrastructure to really take advantage of SIRI.  They may not offer cars with iOS,  weather info, maps data, Fandango theaters, restaurant reviews, future AppleTVs,  etc...  It does not make sense to make these people pay for something that they will never use.  Moreover, Google Now may be an option for people in the more developed countries.

SIRI will really become a top notch service with iOS in the car, AppleTV, Wikipedia and other integrations in the future.  I mean real Star Trek technology.  It will be well worth the extra cost for some but not for others who don't care for it or don't have the infrastructure where they live.

• Reply 29 of 104
    trydtryd Posts: 143member

Does anyone outside of the US ever use Siri? I have never used it, the mere idea of talking to an inanimate object seems silly to me. A good example of technology that most of the users never use, and as such a perfect candidate for removing if it means a cheaper phone. In a car I can see the use for it though.

• Reply 30 of 104
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

• Reply 31 of 104
    IF the 5c comes, larry ellison is probably right. period.
  • Reply 32 of 104
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    If Apple prices the iPhone 5C cheap enough, then I don't think that they should include SIRI maybe. If people want SIRI, then they can buy the more expensive phone. A cheaper iPhone will obviously come with some compromises and certain features missing.

The iPhone 5S shouldn't just be a little bit better than the iPhone 5C, it should be a lot better. There should be a number of added features in the iPhone 5S which differentiates it from the cheaper iPhone 5C.

If the iPhone 5C does include SIRI, then other features should be stripped from it. One such feature is the rumored fingerprint authentication. The cheaper iPhone will obviously not have that feature.
  • Reply 33 of 104
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Gene, Gene, Gene.  What are we going to do with you, bro?

My wild guesses:

$399: iPhone 5S 64GB (black/slate, white/silver, fingerprint sensor)

$299: iPhone 5S 32GB (black/slate, white/silver, fingerprint sensor)

$199: iPhone 5S 16GB (black/slate, white/silver, fingerprint sensor)

$99: iPhone 5C 16GB (multiple color options, no fingerprint sensor)

$0: iPhone 5C 8GB (black only, no fingerprint sensor)

Siri on all iPhone models.

Production of iPhone 4, 4S, and 5 completely cease.

iPhone 5C internal components mostly from iPhone 5.

Future "C" models will get internal components from previous year's high-end model.

Except for the fingerprint sensor.  That will be the "must have" up-sell feature.

Oh, and no "gold" iPhone 5S.

Update: Prices in U.S. dollars, in the U.S. market, subsidized by cell carriers.  (Thanks Apple ][.)

• Reply 34 of 104
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    sockrolid wrote: »
    Gene, Gene, Gene.  What are we going to do with you, bro?
    My wild guesses:

$399: iPhone 5S 64GB (black/slate, white/silver, fingerprint sensor)
    $299: iPhone 5S 32GB (black/slate, white/silver, fingerprint sensor)
    $199: iPhone 5S 16GB (black/slate, white/silver, fingerprint sensor)
     $99: iPhone 5C 16GB (multiple color options, no fingerprint sensor)
       $0: iPhone 5C 8GB (black only, no fingerprint sensor)

Your price guesses are all subsidized. The cheap iPhone needs to be cheap, unsubsidized.
  • Reply 35 of 104
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by leflix View Post

IF the 5c comes, larry ellison is probably right. period.

Welcome to AppleInsider.  We get quite a lot of newbie trolls right before and after iPhone announcements.

Just so you know.  They're easy to spot, of course.

• Reply 36 of 104
    customtbcustomtb Posts: 346member
    By all accounts Siri gets better the more people use it. It will be ubiquitous.

As RockSolid implies, limiting the 5c to 16 or even 8 GB would be enough to prevent a lot of cannibalization, at least for anyone who actually uses their iPhone. I could barely fit my apps on 8, let alone pics, video, or anything else.

Clearly there will have to be more differences from a cost standpoint but it won't be cuts in major features.
  • Reply 38 of 104

All the naysayers herein live ... in the US? Well, Apple has no problem selling iPhones in the US. They need to be able to sell more iPhones, many many more, in regions where, allegedly, price is more important than features or performance. So maybe this is how they are going to do it - a version of the iPhone that is lower in specs and performance than even the 4S.

Don't forget that Apple has lots of data on how much Siri is used around the world. Perhaps the target markets for the 5C are not where Siri is oft used.

• Reply 39 of 104
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Is 'may not include Siri' another way to saying the way that is worded I cannot be wrong no matter the outcome.
  • Reply 40 of 104
    mr o wrote: »
    Apple is losing me here.
    *Apple* is losing you here? Apple hasn't yet shown its hand. Do you mean Munster is losing you? Does anyone believe the predictions of analysts? If so, why?