the login window doesn't know me

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I am trying to get to know OSX on our B/W G3. We had OSX installed but, due to space issues, had to reinstall it to be able to update to Jaguar from an imac-cd. Afterwards it has been impossible to log in. The only user I am able to select is "Others...", and I am sick of the shaking window every time I try a new login name and password. And I have tried every name and combination I have ever used, anywhere.

What is wrong? Where are our old usernames, and why didn't we get to create new ones on the new system?

Is there any way I can bypass the login screen, or create a new user, or anything I can do?

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Boot off the install CD and select 'Reset Password' from the drop down menu.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    robsterrobster Posts: 256member
    [quote]Originally posted by iBrowse:

<strong>Boot off the install CD and select 'Reset Password' from the drop down menu.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I had this on an imac and fixed it by booting from the CD, opening Disk Utility and running Fix Permissions

It's a wierd one but it has been quite wisespread.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Repairing permissions can fix a lot of problems, that is worth giving a shot too.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    tHANK YOU, I WILL BOOT OFF THE INSTALL CD WHEN I GET HOME AND LOOK AROUND. i THOUGHT ONE COULD NOT DO ANYTHING FROM THE CD IN x, IT SEEMS LIMITED COMPARED TO THE OS9 SYSTEM CD.

lOOK, IT'S THE CAPS LOCK SYNDROME!