'Harry Potter,' 'Matrix,' many other movie series on sale in new iTunes bundles

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple is offering iTunes movie customers steep discounts on bundled films, offering the chance to pick up popular series like "The Matrix" and "Back to the Future" at a rate of buy one, get two free.

Update: Some of the original prices (including the "Harry Potter" series for $10) appear to have been a mistake. Apple has since updated with the correct ? and still discounted ? costs.

For the time being, U.S.-based iTunes customers can get any of 25 movie series at a big discount. Bundles are available starting at $10, and some larger bundles offer each movie for as low as $5 a piece.

Note that when viewed in a Web browser on iTunes Preview, the prices do not reflect the current sale. The items must be viewed in the standalone iTunes application to see the promotion.

Among the highlights of Apple's current offering are The Matrix trilogy, available for $10, the complete Harry Potter series for $60, and The Lord of the Rings trilogy, also available for $10. Customers can also get the Spiderman trilogy for $20, the Bourne collection for $30, and the Back to the Future trilogy for $20. Other collections include: It is uncertain how long the sale will run. Apple has previously offered movie bundling in its iTunes Movie Store, but those offerings typically came during the holiday season.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 58
    kozchriskozchris Posts: 209member
    I wish they would give you a deal when you already own 1 or more of the movies in the bundle. Something similar to complete my album.
  • Reply 2 of 58
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    kozchris wrote: »
    I wish they would give you a deal when you already own 1 or more of the movies in the bundle. Something similar to complete my album.

Well, since the entire Harry Potter series (8 movies) is only $10, even if you own most of them, it's still a good deal.

Some of the others aren't as great a deal, though.
  • Reply 3 of 58
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    The bundles have been in the iTunes store for at least a year or two in Canada. They generally aren't that good of a deal price-wise either.

If the movies are $20 each as singles, the price for the bundle is usually $20 x (number of movies) - $5
  • Reply 4 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by kozchris View Post

Agreed.  Also, I have a lot of movies where I bought the digital copy because it was bundled with a DVD, but it's not HD or "Super HD" (whatever that is).  They should let you upgrade your copy to a higher format for a small fee IMO.  

Lots of times they only have the SD copy available even for new movies and even in digital only from the iTunes store (The recent, first Star Trek movie is a good example).  You know they are at some point going to put an HD copy up there, but it's just wrong to make people buy it all over again at full price when they already own what was the only previously available digital copy

iTunes music store is a great deal for almost anything, but the movie store is really awful in terms of giving the customer a fair deal.  I rarely buy anything but the specials for that reason.  The prices are just far too high most of the time. 

• Reply 5 of 58

Those prices are not available in Canada.

• Reply 6 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

The bundles have been in the iTunes store for at least a year or two in Canada. They generally aren't that good of a deal price-wise either.

If the movies are $20 each as singles, the price for the bundle is usually $20 x (number of movies) - $5

I looked up the Back to the Future Bundle listed at $20 but in Canada $49.99

If the prices were close I'd be spending some money...

• Reply 7 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkyMarc43 View Post

I looked up the Back to the Future Bundle listed at $20 but in Canada $49.99

If the prices were close I'd be spending some money...

I think part of the confusion is that the author is quoting the non-HD prices for individual titles in the bundle instead of the bundle price.  

I just looked up Lord of the Rings in the Canada store and the HD set is $45.00 which does seem to be a slight drop in price, but it's the SD set that's $30 (or "$10" as the author puts it). So $15 bucks each for the extended HD copies of the three movies is a pretty good deal, but it's not a "great" deal.  

The Indiana Jones movies are similarly priced, ($50.00 for four HD movies) but only two of the four are worth watching so ... 

• Reply 8 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Well, since the entire Harry Potter series (8 movies) is only $10, even if you own most of them, it's still a good deal.

Some of the others aren't as great a deal, though.

The only silly thing is that it apparently it doesn't recognize that you already own the movies. For instance, I had free digital copies of Half Blood Prince and Deathly Hallows Part 1. I bought the bundle and now I have two copies of both movies on my Apple TV :/

• Reply 9 of 58
    I just bought the Harry Potter collection in Hd in the U.S. for $10. That's a stunning deal.

Also picked up Lord of the Rings trilogy, in Hd, for $10.

Glad I waited on some of these titles...
  • Reply 10 of 58
    It looks like there may have been a mistake, as some of the bundles have increased significantly in price in the last few minutes. Notably, the HP bundle went from $9.99 to $59.99.
  • Reply 11 of 58

Glad you got it before the price went up!

• Reply 12 of 58
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    ekulnesro wrote: »
    It looks like there may have been a mistake, as some of the bundles have increased significantly in price in the last few minutes. Notably, the HP bundle went from $9.99 to $59.99.

That's odd - it still has $9.99 for me. I would have grabbed it, but I already have all the disks on DVD and BR.
  • Reply 13 of 58
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

Does anyone watch SD anymore?

• Reply 14 of 58
    Damnit I missed the 5 minute HP sale cause it's $59 now
  • Reply 15 of 58
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    I can't see this in the UK store.
  • Reply 16 of 58
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Does anyone watch SD anymore?

Absolutely, those with slow or crappy Internet access with data caps. 

• Reply 17 of 58
    Now if they would only offer art films, documentaries, and foreign films this way instead of just pulp.
  • Reply 18 of 58
    All of them are still crippled due to DRM.
  • Reply 19 of 58

Since I have most of the bundles on dvd I wish I could just bring in my DVDs to the Apple store and trade them for digital copies. I mean Walmart already lets you do something similar although you don't get an iTunes code.

• Reply 20 of 58
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kozchris View Post

Since I have most of the bundles on dvd I wish I could just bring in my DVDs to the Apple store and trade them for digital copies. I mean Walmart already lets you do something similar although you don't get an iTunes code.

you can do it with Vudu

download their application, put in DVD and for a few $$$ it will give you a digital copy in their store.