Do we need to clean up our mac?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

Back in the OS 9.2.2 days I used norton utilities and disk warrior. Now my question is simple do I need to be using that with the latest OS that I have? (OS 10.8.4) Some may ask if I have a problem, no I don't I was thinking maybe I need to do the same in this OS...

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    No, you don't have to run the same cleanup software for OS X. You pretty much don't have to do any maintenance unless you have a problem.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    dmfettdmfett Posts: 141member

If you did what would you use on OS 10.8.4?

• Reply 3 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    dmfett wrote: »
    If you did what would you use on OS 10.8.4?

Diskwarrior is still available for OS X and there are apps like Techtool Pro too:

http://www.micromat.com/products/techtool-pro

They can clean out caches, defragment drives/files but it's not necessary any more. If your system is running ok, let it be:

[VIDEO]

And when the night is cloudy,
    there is still a light that shines on me,
    so my display still works,
    let it be

I wake up to the sound of music,
    so my hard drive still works,
    let it be

The main thing people should do is regular backups, weekly, daily, as often as you can and keep multiple backups.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    dmfettdmfett Posts: 141member

There has been some funky things a month ago then with the new update from 10.8.3 to 10.8.4 things seem better...Apple said an archival reinstall is good to do...have not done it yet as all is well at this point...yes I have time machine and another back up HD...just wondered if those programs are worth it...you say no and thanks for your view...

• Reply 5 of 5

I'll also say "No", if another opinion matters to you.

I've never run any sort of anti-viral or maintenance software on a Mac (since 1986) and don't feel I've ever lost performance because of it.