Apple Mac Accessories Refresh

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple does not update Mac accessories when a new model is made. Is there a chance of getting new keyboards and a Magic Mouse this year?

I've been wanting new accessories for my Mac lately... A new keyboard that's backlit and rechargeable with a lightning cable. It should also come with Bluetooth 4.0. And a lithium rechargeable Magic Mouse... Via lightning USB 3.1 and down to 2.0

Anybody got any beef on these future products?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

I guess you can keep dreaming about these products.Can't hurt none.

• Reply 2 of 10

Originally Posted by darkdefender View Post

Apple does not update Mac accessories when a new model is made.

Actually, they only update accessories when a new model is made.

Is there a chance of getting new keyboards and a Magic Mouse this year?

Doubtful. I've always wanted a MagSafe-based full size keyboard and Magic Trackpad, though.

• Reply 3 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Doubtful. I've always wanted a MagSafe-based full size keyboard and Magic Trackpad, though.

Well let's keep our hopes up... I really would enjoy a new keyboard with back lighting.

• Reply 4 of 10
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member

You gotta wonder if Apple might update the Keyboard/Mouse/Trackpad lineup with newer versions that would be available in TWO (2) colors, the current silvery & a new black, to match existing products & the new Mac Pro…?!?

• Reply 5 of 10
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

I sincerely doubt it.

• Reply 6 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

You gotta wonder if Apple might update the Keyboard/Mouse/Trackpad lineup with newer versions that would be available in TWO (2) colors, the current silvery & a new black, to match existing products & the new Mac Pro…?!?

The current keyboard and magic mouse don't match the new MacPro.  They have to upgrade them somehow...

IMHO, of course.

• Reply 7 of 10

I would suppose that a refresh is most likely with the Mac Pro. It's a radical change in design, and I would think it's possible they refresh the acc. with its release. Seems like the best time anyway.

• Reply 8 of 10
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    The current keyboard and magic mouse don't match the new MacPro.  They have to upgrade them somehow...

The one they showed on stage looked black, which I think looks fine next to the silver peripherals:

but in this image you can see it's black at the base and shiny chrome style at the top:

and here, it looks very chrome-like and not black at all:

The video just said it was black and you can see some silver chrome objects being carted around in the background at 0:15 for comparison:

[VIDEO]

It may be a kind of black chrome style like you see on car wheels here:

They were perhaps aiming for this kind of idea of the shiny muscle car:

Not good for the shopping or putting the kids in the back like say an old silver pickup:

but very fast and sleek.

In order to match the black style, they'd need black and silver models of displays, keyboards and black mice as well as connecting cables. I think that's a bit too much redundancy, especially considering that the black versions would be made to match a model that ships less than 5% of the total Mac volume. I've always wondered if they'd ever depart from the white silver they use now. Apple used to use white plastic in everything and gradually they switched it all out for silver metal. I think that black chrome would look a bit like the black plastic PC laptops you get but they might get away with it:

Some people preferred the black Macbooks to the white ones. It could be matte black on the inside and black chrome on the outer shell.
  • Reply 9 of 10

I found a 500-600 dollar glass keyboard that uses Bluetooth, Infrared sensors cameras, and lithium batteries but I don't think I'll be buying one of the first glass keyboards shown in the video above. I'm just waiting for Apple's Fall Keynote(s) and maybe they'll have some new cool product asides the Mac Pro or updated iPhones. What are the new products coming out this fall...?

So far I have this...

iPad Mini with retina display

iPad 5 with 16:9 Ratio screen

iPhone 5C in colors, possible spec bump in same iPhone 5 Design, iPhone 5S/6

Mac Pro Release Date ( WE WERE RIGHT ABOUT IT BEING SMALL BEFORE WWDC, GOOD JOB AI)

iOS 7 Release Date

Mavericks Price and Release Date

iTunes Update for Radio Feature

Apple TV update for iTunes Radio feature and IEEE 802.11 AC Wifi?

• Reply 10 of 10

im bored with all the same old accessories for my Mac.. i wish they could give us new backlit keyboards this time as the new model arrives