Audi debuts augmented reality iOS app, Yelp gets in-app reviews, Vevo now supports AirPlay

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Car maker Audi has rolled out a new app for those that own both an Audi A3 and an iPhone or iPad, and Yelp has released a new version of its app that allows users to publish reviews within the app. Meanwhile, Vevo has released another update to its iOS app, adding full AirPlay support.

Audi A3 owners can now look to their iPhones and iPads in order to find out more about their vehicles. The German car maker has developed an augmented reality app that serves as a digital owner's guide of sorts, covering 300 elements of the car from windshield wipers to oil caps to blinkers.

For now, the app is only available in the German version of the iTunes App Store, but it will come to the United States next year when the 2015 Audi A3 debuts. A3 owners in Germany, though, can get access to the 41.3MB download, provided they have an iPhone, iPod, or iPad running iOS 4.3 or later.

Yelp in-app review publishing

Popular review app Yelp has added an update to its functionality, now giving users the ability to add reviews from their phones. The update brings the app to version 7.0.0, and users can access the feature by visiting any business page, tapping "add review," and then adding their content.

The new version is available in the App store. It is a 22.6MB download, and requires an iPhone, iPad, or iPod running iOS 5.0 or later.

Vevo iOS app gets AirPlay support

Popular music video app Vevo hit version 2.8 on Tuesday, with the new version adding the ability for users to stream content directly from an iOS device to an Apple TV with AirPlay.

The new update comes as Vevo is rumored to be working on a dedicated Apple TV app for release in the near future. An Apple TV app would allow Vevo to monetize its platform by selling television ad space.

In addition to the new AirPlay support, the new update contains a number of bug fixes and optimizations. The 13MB download is compatible with iPhones, iPads, and iPods running iOS 5.0 or later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    notscottnotscott Posts: 247member
    That's a really cool use for augmented reality. Nicely done.

Annoying video. But nice app.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Nice! I knew it was just a matter of time before manufactures would begin developing apps as "instruction manual replacements." Imagine how much interactivity developers can include in such "owner manuals" Awesome! Before we know it paper is going to be a thing of the past!
  • Reply 3 of 8
    [B]"Audi debuts augmented reality iOS app..."[/B]

You call that a headline? Have you never read the kind of weird, wacky non-sequitur headlines they use on this site? Something like [B]"Audi debuts augmented reality iOS app as race for in-car mobile advertising heats up"[/B] is more like it.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Pretty damn cool. Now show me how the app will get me 50 MPG.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Cooool! Now be ready for this, Sam.
  • Reply 6 of 8

Apple TV is likely to get an update this fall... I suspect the usual updates... like smaller dimensions, an A5X, and Wifi AC built in.

Source

• Reply 7 of 8
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member

Folks on Yelp have been hungry for this functionality since forever.  I wonder what took them so long?

• Reply 8 of 8
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by darkdefender View Post

Apple TV is likely to get an update this fall... I suspect the usual updates... like smaller dimensions, an A5X, and Wifi AC built in.

Source

Okay, that was in January and it already amounted to nothing.