American components in Apple's iPhone supply chain graphically detailed

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Is there a new competition going around; trolls competing to see who can make the most idiotic and/or wrong comment?

No competition here.  I know that I could never compete with you in that department.  You're the undisputed champion of idiotic troll posting.

Or you could try adding to a conversation by backing up your opinions instead of your usual one-liners that add nothing.

• Reply 22 of 60
    ochymingochyming Posts: 474member

I guess this will not appear at Huffington Post, BBC or Guardian.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

Yep, skill labor without the Unions, US Human Resource Departments, US Regulations, US Healthcare, US Tax Laws, and basically just the US getting in the way of doing business. That coupled with increasing lazy workers who are increasing less educated. 

Heck, Apple retail employees sue over a bag check and you wonder why anyone wants to do business in China? LOL 

Ignorant rant.

It was a government bill that build the USA middle class.

The The GI Bill, paid by tax payers.

Ireland and Netherlands do have HUGE private debt and running wild deficit, along with a safe heaven for corporations.

How many jobs did the big Pharmaceutic and tech companies created in Ireland?

• Reply 23 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

Maybe not jobs, but I hear the tech companies have a lot of money over in Ireland.  image

• Reply 24 of 60
    ochymingochyming Posts: 474member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Maybe not jobs, but I hear the tech companies have a lot of money over in Ireland.  image

That is the point.

Money not invested! = workers do not benefit. The same workers who should have enough money to spend.

It is like the production of the iPhone in China, China does not make much from it, beside the jobs it really needs to avoid revolts.

In the USA wages remain stagnant, why would corporations invest much?

Workers are drown in debt, and have less money to spend.

So Corporations sit on the money.

• Reply 25 of 60
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

No competition here.  I know that I could never compete with you in that department.  You're the undisputed champion of idiotic troll posting.

Or you could try adding to a conversation by backing up your opinions instead of your usual one-liners that add nothing.

When someone claims a factory is a sweatshop, they'd better have proof of their own if they don't want to look like an idiot. image

• Reply 26 of 60
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member

Quote:

Also glad to see you didn't resort to ad hominem as others chose to do.

If you don't want to be ad hommed, don't walk around wearing a target on your chest... Droid. 

Your choice, no one else's.

And just once, I wish you'd explain your choice of such a blatantly antagonistic moniker, out of the near-infinite choices available to you, for this site.

• Reply 27 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

If you don't want to be ad hommed, don't walk around wearing a target on your chest... Droid. 

And just once, I wish you'd explain your choice of such a blatantly antagonistic moniker, out of the near-infinite choices available to you, for this site.

Fair enough about the target thing.  I get baited a lot here because of the name (and it's understandable); rarely do I take the bait.  Getting baited and ad hommed are a little different in my eyes though.  I can take a could ribbing, but out right attacks with no humor attached serve no purpose in my eyes.  At least be clever and light hearted about it, right?  image

As far as explaining the name, I have done so publicly already. 

• Reply 28 of 60

Quote:

As far as explaining the name, I have done so publicly already. 

All you've proven is that you have little shame.

• Reply 29 of 60
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Sometimes free enterprise runs amok, while other times it promotes competition benefitting consumers. In the case of all electronics manufacturing being sent to China, it actually harms the US economy and the security of the country. Just for a moment imagine that the US could not build a military aircraft without the aid of China.

But of course it is not the responsibility of US corporations to maintain operational manufacturing facilities in the US for national security. Outsourcing is a natural outcome of supply and demand economics but it is not necessarily beneficial to the US economy or national security.

• Reply 30 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

I guess this will not appear at Huffington Post, BBC or Guardian.

Ignorant rant.

It was a government bill that build the USA middle class.

The The GI Bill, paid by tax payers.

Ireland and Netherlands do have HUGE private debt and running wild deficit, along with a safe heaven for corporations.

Speaking of ignorant rants. None of what you said had anything to do with what I said, nor the subject within this thread. 

Now back to the subject of why hiring in China may be more desirable than the US... 

• Reply 31 of 60
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    and we still don't have iphone 5S yet... and you can clearly see.. China can assemble all in just 15 days. Can't say the same for America. just sayin!
  • Reply 32 of 60
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

..."The consumer electronics world was really never here," Cook stated. ?It?s not a matter of bringing it back, it?s a matter of starting it here."

AT&T Bell Laboratories licensed the transistor to Sony in the early 1950's, which then introduced consumer electronics to the world. Sony had existed for less than a decade at this point. What Tim Cook was really saying was that 'the consumer electronics production world was really never here', American (teenage) consumers however, allowed the industry to take off. With the advent of the transistor, we will have witnessed in our lifetimes one of the greatest revolutions in human endeavour amidst such as the advent of alloying and the Industrial Revolution.

• Reply 33 of 60
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    This was posted today on Huffington post … I think most would agree it kind of supports Tim's comments. Yes, that is an 8th grade test from 1912! Sorry if it is small, you might need to zoom in to read. IMHO multiple choice tests have dumbed down America beyond belief. I doubt many MBA graduates would pass this today!

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/29831/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]
  • Reply 34 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

LOL. You really do love to make up bombastic stuff, don't you. 

Why don't you name for us one consumer electronics company that does it differently than Apple does.

I'm not sure what you're saying that he made up. What he put about Jobs is true and a lot of people know it.

• Reply 35 of 60
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

I always suspected Apple caught more flack for using Foxconn because they publicly defended Foxconn and said it's not a sweatshop.  For the other companies, it's the elephant in the room that they don't talk about.  To call it an Apple factory would certainly be incorrect, though.

As far as manufacturing taking place in China not because of price but because that's where the skilled workers are, Cook is full of shit.

You are full of shit.  They can't just hire hundreds of thousands of people in the US to mfg their mobile devices in a heartbeat.  Where?  Most of the people that would even consider that kind of work are not exactly the most skilled when it comes to mfg tiny little devices.  What part of the country are you talking about?

Most high volume mfg sites for this type of work are typically in Asia.  It's always been that way.

Why do you think most of the semiconductor mfg set up fab plants in Asia back in the early 60's before they had automatic lead bonders?  They needed typically women to do that since they had more patience and delicate hands to do lead bonding, which is a VERY tedious job to do 8 hours a day and being able to basically run up to 3 shifts if necessary.  Obviously, land is cheaper in Asia (except large cities like Tokyo, etc.) labor rates are obviously cheaper, but it's a lot to do with lots of people that have the inherent skill set to perform the tedious work required.  Plus they typically have much better work habits than the kids in America that join the workforce.

Where else would you suggest they get hundreds of thousands of people to do the work?  Yeah, they have to also be competitive with the other companies out there.

I think you are full of shit.  

Foxconn only lets Apple managers into certain places within their plants, and why does Apple get more flack when Foxconn, and the others that do the same work also do work for HP, Dell, and others.  Why do they single out Apple?  Because Apple has always gotten more flack from the media.  It's what jealous people do.  They single out the most successful company to attack them, even if they aren't doing anything wrong.

• Reply 36 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

If a company intends to continue making products long term, then keeping the same employees and not having to retrain them makes more sense.  They settle down, grow roots and a community, and can participate in making the process better.

The main reason "FAST" is brought up, is because Jobs would supposedly make last second changes.

Settle down? Grow roots? Participate in making the process better? Why yes, that's exactly what Apple does with their designers, engineers and other staff. It's what most companies do. But not all. Does McDonald's (or any fast food chain) really need to keep the person making fries around to "participate in making the process better"? No. In the technology world the assemblers are like workers at McDonalds. If one leaves you can get another one to fill their place. It doesn't sound nice, but it's reality. Everyone has a place from the ditch diggers to the CEO's. CEO's you want to grow roots. Ditch diggers not so much.

As to FAST, I'm sure that once the engineers have signed off on a product there wouldn't be any hurry to ramp up production and get it to market as soon as possible. /S

• Reply 37 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

You are full of shit.

Just block him. I gave him a chance but he showed his true colors as a troll and now the only time I hear the toilet flush is when you or someone else quotes him. So block, stop quoting and problem solved.

• Reply 38 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Settle down? Grow roots? Participate in making the process better? Why yes, that's exactly what Apple does with their designers, engineers and other staff. It's what most companies do. But not all. Does McDonald's (or any fast food chain) really need to keep the person making fries around to "participate in making the process better"? No. In the technology world the assemblers are like workers at McDonalds. If one leaves you can get another one to fill their place. It doesn't sound nice, but it's reality. Everyone has a place from the ditch diggers to the CEO's. CEO's you want to grow roots. Ditch diggers not so much.

As to FAST, I'm sure that once the engineers have signed off on a product there wouldn't be any hurry to ramp up production and get it to market as soon as possible. /S

Exactly.  The jobs at Foxconn are not jobs that require skilled workers.  They're repetitive jobs that don't require a lot of training (one of the reasons you can hire so many in a short amount of time).  Some are so simple that they leave them to the "student interns" to handle.  Cook saying that Americans aren't skilled enough to perform those jobs is not accurate.  Especially if you consider the fact that Americans are accepted by everyone to be skilled enough to do the jobs that require more skill like being a designer or CEO.

• Reply 39 of 60
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

What? It's HIS fault that others choose to post insults and attack the individual instead of the viewpoint or argument? That's ridiculous. People choose how they respond. Some people focus on the contents of the post, others on the person offering the opinion.

What you're describing sounds a lot like the kid in the schoolyard repeating "Why are you hitting yourself? Why are you hitting yourself? Why are you hitting yourself?"

• Reply 40 of 60
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

All you've proven is that you have little shame.

Have you ever, even once, posted anything here that expresses an opinion on a subject, provides any kind of grounds for thought, or uses verifiable data to support or refute an argument? It seems to me like you post only insults. Do you want to talk about what's really causing all those feelings of helplessness and inadequacy that drive you to misguidedly unleash all your pent up hostility here? We all just want to help. Feel the love.