Large institutional investors due to disclose their holdings in Apple, Inc. August 15

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited January 2014
A surprise tweet by Carl Icahn on Tuesday voluntarily disclosed a "large position" in Apple, but this week all institutional investment managers face a deadline for reporting their holdings of securities worth at least $100 million.

SEC 13F

Icahn was reported by Bloomberg to now own a stake in Apple worth more than $1 billion, and cited an unnamed "person with knowledge of the purchase" in saying that Icahn had "accumulated the position over the past month."

The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission requires large investors to report their significant holdings, but only about a month and a half after the quarter ends, as AppleInsider reported in mid-February.

The deadline for other major institutional investment managers and investment advisers to disclose their common stock holdings and put or call options (as of the end of the June quarter), is August 15, submitted as SEC Form 13F.

Disclosures, but only every three months

In mid-February, a series of reports (such as one by Aaron Pressman for Reuters) detailed institutional investors that had "dumped" Apple shares, even though many of the largest sellers continued to own vast holdings (below).

Source: Fortune

Pressman blamed Apple's drop on "investors worried about increasing competition and declining profit margins," and, conversely, explained that "the shares also may have dropped because their price rose too much, too fast."

He also cited an analysts as saying "three months from now, we'll be seeing a lot of the people who sold starting to pick it up again."

Three months later, there was again a steady trickle of reports of institutional investors "dumping" shares in Apple, information culled from 13F regulatory filings. This "news" was presented without context or explanation of any kind by sites such as BusinessInsider, or alternatively, occasionally framed as worthy of dire concern.

Vikas Shukla of ValueWalk wrote that Apple "continues to lose charm among shareholders," based on reports of its shares being "dumped" by several large mutual funds including "Fidenlity Contrafund" [sic].

"These sell-offs by key investors bodes trouble for the iPhone maker," wrote Meghan Foley for Wall St. CheatSheet.

Apple shares have gone up more than 10 percent since those mid-May reports first appeared, reciting as "news" information that at the time of their publication was already six weeks old.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    I'm not surprised there is all this chatter about investing in Apple.

All of the big investors with an ounce of sense know that Apple is about to launch a HUGE product rollout starting in a month.

All of these big investors bought low a few weeks and months ago without telling anyone and are now ready to ride the wave up to $700+.

Funny thing is that it was these same investors that depressed the price down to $400 earlier this year so that they could gobble up stocks cheap.

A lot of behind the scene manipulation going on and of course Apple being somewhat predictable makes it easy for them.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    There needs to be new laws with regards big stock ownership and announcement. A tweet shouldn't control a company's value when the gy who did it was one of the folks who drove the stock price down in the first place.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    ValueWalk and Wall St. CheatSheet are well-known for their shoddy, thinly-researched stock coverage. That they are cited uncritically as Apple stock authorities for the purposes of THIS story tells me everything a person need know about AppleInsider...You guys cannot and should not ever be taken seriously by investors.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 438member

Carl Icahn on one side,

Larry Ellison on the other http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/talking-numbers/ellison-apple-going-down-without-steve-jobs-175209349.html

Now, who knows Apple best?

• Reply 5 of 15
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

Carl Icahn on one side,

Larry Ellison on the other http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/talking-numbers/ellison-apple-going-down-without-steve-jobs-175209349.html

Who says he cares about AAPL? He like the rest care only about the shiny dollar and walking the grey line to get it.

• Reply 6 of 15
    ojalaojala Posts: 18member

Since when has Mr. Icahn invested in something he sees a long term value and traditional stock value increase?

He is not there to keep the Apple stock for the next 10 years.  He is for short term profit, one way or another.   That may benefit other owners, too.

• Reply 7 of 15

Does this mean that... Bloomberg is going to say all POSITIVE about APPLE from now onwards?

• Reply 8 of 15
    bilbo63bilbo63 Posts: 285member

Undervalued? You think?

I've been saying for months that I think the major investment houses have all been trying to drive Apple's stock price down over recent months. When they've got it as low as they can, they quietly start buying up shares. Based how well the iTunes store alone does, I feel Apple's stock has been undervalued for a while now. I've got two kids in university right now, (translation: no extra cash) or I'd be buying.

Just my opinion.

• Reply 9 of 15
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    bilbo63 wrote: »
    Undervalued? You think?

I've been saying for months that I think the major investment houses have all been trying to drive Apple's stock price down over recent months. When they've got it as low as they can, they quietly start buying up shares. Based how well the iTunes store alone does, I feel Apple's stock has been undervalued for a while now. I've got two kids in university right now, (translation: no extra cash) or I'd be buying.

Just my opinion.

Yup.

Basic stock manipulation done "legally" so the SEC doesn't care.

As I said above Apple is pretty predictable which is a blessing and curse. A blessing because we all know when new iPhones and software are coming, but a curse for the same reason.

All of these investors already know Septemeber through January is Apple's golden hour every year. This year they decided to cash in on that by depressing the stock from February till now so that they could buy shares at a fraction of the cost before the usual upswing that always happens at IPhone launches.

Investors are even luckier this year because their wish for a plastic iPhone has come true which will likely drive the stock even higher this time around.

All investors involved are looking forward to their investments DOUBLING within 3 months. Sad, but for those that can afford to invest now is still the time.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Carl Icahn on one side,

Tim Cook.

• Reply 11 of 15
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Tim Cook.

Didn't I read recently Tim has to hold his AAPL for the long term now? If that is correct I am very pleased as I agree with you, no one knows Apple like Tim and if he has to hold then so am I, even if we get to 700 again. At 1000 I might buckle.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    I think the narrative about AAPL just turned, thanks to Mr. Icahn. Investors were finally jolted into confronting the stupidity of imputing a ridiculously low P/E ratio to the stock and buying into the click-whoring analyst-driven myth that Apple has lost the ability to innovate.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    tnsftnsf Posts: 203member

Quote:

Carl Icahn on one side,

The irony being that Oracle just reported YoY revenue growth of 1%.  Oracle is in a lot worse shape than Apple, Mr Ellison image

• Reply 14 of 15
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    ValueWalk and Wall St. CheatSheet are well-known for their shoddy, thinly-researched stock coverage. That they are cited uncritically as Apple stock authorities for the purposes of THIS story tells me everything a person need know about AppleInsider...You guys cannot and should not ever be taken seriously by investors.

I am blown away. If you think they were "cited uncritically as Apple stock authorities" I invite you to read that again.

They are cited as idiots spewing nonsensical horseshit they don't even spell correctly.
  • Reply 15 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

Carl Icahn on one side,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Who says he cares about AAPL? He like the rest care only about the shiny dollar and walking the grey line to get it.

In fairness to Larry, he's never cared about Apple, and lambasted them mightily when they forced out his now-departed lifelong pal, whom he put up at his palatial mansion in the wilderness years. He was instrumental in making Steve's mind up about returning to Apple (a no-brainer, though), and shared many trade secrets about Apple and Steve's retail plans (Apple Store back-end systems still run Oracle 360 software AFAIK).

Surely Larry knows, as DED stated, that the difference this time is that those Steve left behind in Apple are greater believers in the man than the "clowns" (Larry's words) that forced him out...