Smartphones outsell feature phones for first time, while Apple's iPhone loses market share - Gartner

Comments

• Reply 21 of 76

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

If Apple doesn't take the low-end low-feature low-quality low-usage cheapo market by storm, they are doooooomed!! image Why would developers bother making apps for anyone but that end of the market? You know, the end that under-uses their phone, never buys apps, and has no money? Developers love that!

Note that Apple does better with second-time smartphone buyers than first-time. Thus, Apple doesn't need the entry market.

It's the netbook argument resurrected.

They could be right this time ... maybe. Won't put any money on it.

• Reply 22 of 76

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

You know, you guys can continue to defend Cook all you want, but as Apple loses marketshare, so too will it eventually lose revenue. It's time for Cook to innovate or get out.

For which comedy companies you used to work for?

Innovation does not come with times. 

• Reply 23 of 76
    edrededred Posts: 57member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Lol! And replace him with who exactly?

Zombie Steve Jobs I guess.
  • Reply 24 of 76

Quote:

Gain market share of what? Why on earth would Apple want to sell into those cheap low end markets? Just to please idiot journalists and analysts who group disparate items together?

No, to please customers with rising incomes.

You get your loyal customers as early as you can.  I can see the argument for a BRIC version of an Apple phone and Apple is more than capable of delivering at least something marginally better than others for the same price.  That leaves people like Samsung in a very bad long-term position.  Right now, Apple is allowing people to start with a Samsung phone and chances of grabbing those customers in the future aren't always that great.

People forget that the reason why Apple should be worried about Samsung's copying is that people will see a phone like looks like an iPhone but is total crap.  It has issues.  And this first impression will likely colour them.  When they then look at a higher priced Apple product they are likely to think it will be the same, or feel it's not worth the extra amount, so they stick with the devil they know.

• Reply 25 of 76
    I really should quit reading these articles cause I become convinced investors have no clue what they are writing about. Apple does not want to own the marketplace, nor should they. If Apple wanted to own 30% of the marketplace, they could. Instead, they focus on great technology and high profit margins to balance themselves appropriately. Samsung will always be on top...what do you expect from a company that sells 80 different models (slight exaggeration)? More models and more marketshare does not always mean better product. I would actually prefer Apple not to make the iPhone 5C as I personally think it will be a negative on their brand. There was good reason they moved away from the plastic Macbooks for aluminum. It makes their brand more exquisite. Market share means little for Apple, although I do believe Tim Cook will bow to investors who otherwise disagree and the de-innovation of Apple will rise to satisfy the investors rather than build great products.
  • Reply 26 of 76
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    While common sense says that it is due to product cycles, this does affect perception. A co-worker (not a tech person at all) recently commented to me that Apple is losing market share because they aren't innovating as quickly as other companies.

This person doesn't even own a smartphone yet and doesn't keep up with tech. He just saw some news in passing, he said

Not saying any of this is accurate, just that perception dictates an individuals reality.
  • Reply 27 of 76
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Gartner

From http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/2573415

Worldwide Smartphone Sales to End Users by Vendor in 2Q13 (Thousands of Units)

Company

2Q13

Units

2Q13 Market Share (%)

2Q12

Units

2Q12 Market Share (%)

Samsung

Apple

LG Electronics

Lenovo

ZTE

Others

Total

Anyone else see the disparity in the Q2 numbers as first pointed out by bikertwin??

• Reply 28 of 76
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    Marketshare does matter. Apple is getting trounced. This is why apple is responding by releasing a less expensive phone.
  • Reply 29 of 76
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Note that Apple does better with second-time smartphone buyers than first-time. Thus, Apple doesn't need the entry market.

What happens to all those repeat iPhone buyer's old iPhone? The iPhone user base is multiplying with every release due to hand-me-downs and resales. Eventually those who received a hand-me-down will buy a new iPhone due to loyalty to the brand. I seriously doubt that Android phones get reused nearly as much as iPhones do. Market share is one thing. Brand loyalty is another. Apple receives a much higher customer satisfaction rate than other brands.

• Reply 30 of 76
    rogifan wrote: »
    So basically there are a lot of cheap feature phones being replaced by cheap android "smartphones". I'm not sure Apple is too worried about that.

They should be. It is literally a zero sum game. We can argue about experience and we'd agree on most of those points. But don't think for a second that investors (and thus, Apple) aren't concerned.
  • Reply 31 of 76

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicholas_hagen View Post

I really should quit reading these articles <<== Please do.

Originally Posted by nicholas_hagen View PostI would actually prefer Apple not to make the iPhone 5C as I personally think it will be a negative on their brand.  <<<=== I will convey this to Mr.Cook.

• Reply 32 of 76

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

At some point people will realize they are getting rip off and go else where.  Market shares matters to some degree.

I agree.  At some point, market share does begin to matter, especially from a developer perspective.  This blog post explains it very well.

http://ben-evans.com/benedictevans/2013/8/13/defending-ios

• Reply 33 of 76
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shameer Mulji View Post

I agree.  At some point, market share does begin to matter, especially from a developer perspective.  This blog post explains it very well.

Don't you worry about us developers, we know how to calculate our profit sheet and prospects. Android is actually becoming even less profitable with every new fabulous phone.... 

5C sales will blow remains of many people's brains out....

When 5X comes out, Sanslung will fall from the sky like airplane stalling...

• Reply 34 of 76
    poksi wrote: »
    Don't you worry about us developers, we know how to calculate our profit sheet and prospects. Android is actually becoming even less profitable with every new fabulous phone.... 

5C sales will blow remains of many people brains out....

Thanks for speaking on behalf of all devs. I've had a couple tell me they love developing on Android. Clearly, they were wrong.
  • Reply 35 of 76

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

There's more detail at Gartner

http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/2573415

Yeah. For $1295. The 'newsroom' provides no geographic breakdowns. Pointless.

• Reply 36 of 76
    solomansoloman Posts: 228member
    rob53 wrote: »
    What is the difference between a smartphone and a feature phone? Are most of Samsung's smartphones actually feature phones without too much smarts? Are there even any feature phones still being manufactured or has the industry changed everything to smartphones?

Feature phones are usually the clam shell type and are not touchscreen.
  • Reply 37 of 76
    Looks like Gartner has Others as most popular smartphones beating out Samsung as biggest market share. Most be a very successful business. Similar to tablets market share issues.
  • Reply 38 of 76
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    No, to please customers with rising incomes.

You get your loyal customers as early as you can.  I can see the argument for a BRIC version of an Apple phone and Apple is more than capable of delivering at least something marginally better than others for the same price.  That leaves people like Samsung in a very bad long-term position.  Right now, Apple is allowing people to start with a Samsung phone and chances of grabbing those customers in the future aren't always that great.

People forget that the reason why Apple should be worried about Samsung's copying is that people will see a phone like looks like an iPhone but is total crap.  It has issues.  And this first impression will likely colour them.  When they then look at a higher priced Apple product they are likely to think it will be the same, or feel it's not worth the extra amount, so they stick with the devil they know.

I agree Apple are wise to bring out a lower end iPhone just as they have Mac Minis and iPod Nanos, however, they are high quality products and not exactly cheap, just low end for Apple. I meant they should, and I am sure they will, keep out of the end of the market dominated by Scamsung and things worthy of being fillings for Christmas crackers.
  • Reply 39 of 76
    nelsonxnelsonx Posts: 278member

Quote:

Lol! And replace him with who exactly?

Yes, with WHAT??? We all know that Cook is the last man on Earth! How can you replace Cook? Blasphemy!

• Reply 40 of 76
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

That's a pretty silly argument. From a developer's perspective, the number of apps is not the driver - in fact, it may be a negative since the more apps there are, the more competition there is.

The most relevant statistic is revenues - where iOS wins handily. The next most important statistic is the cost of implementing and supporting your app - where Android is also at a major disadvantage due to fragmentation issues.

From a developer's perspective, iOS wins - big time.