Google's new Nexus 7 gets stellar reviews despite faults, jitters, lagging apps

Comments

• Reply 81 of 190
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    matrix07 wrote: »
    Sure. With dimmer brightness. Like I said, 100 hrs. If you just turn the damn thing off. Ha. Ha.

Would 50% brightness be too low for typical "livingroom" use? What brightness level does your iPad Mini typically use indoors?
  • Reply 82 of 190
    nelsonxnelsonx Posts: 278member

Quote:

Originally Posted by stylorouge View Post

This article is sooooo Bias. Why another company can't have a better product than Apple? I doubt all these problems exists in first place. It is really sad to read this article. Does Apple pay you guys? OK we get it Apple is the best nothing is better than Apple. We wont buy the Nexus 7 only iPads got the message.

You can be sure DED is paid by Apple. As for the majority of people on this site, yes, since they are Apple shareholders they ARE paid by Apple.

• Reply 83 of 190
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Would 50% brightness be too low for typical "livingroom" use? What brightness level does your iPad Mini typically use indoors?

Typical or not doesn't matter. WSJ used the "same" method, same brightness for iPad mini and got 10 hours battery life Apple claimed. The same method for new Nexus 7 only lasted a little more than 6 hours, 3 hours short of Google's boast. You can make the brightness brighter and turn WI-FI off or turn the damn thing off completely and boast 100 hours battery life, no one cares.

What did Walt Mossberg call battery life of new N7 again?
  • Reply 84 of 190
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Okay here follows what the tech industry is really like:

In any culture, there is a certain tendency to try to perpetuate a myth. For example Doctors like to make themselves feel elevated from the rest of us by their use of jargon and bad handwriting and using words which normal people don't use. By speaking their own particular language it makes them feel important and at the same time it makes the public look up to them as "knowledgeable" Every group does this, Mathematicians do it, Physicists do it. Polticians do it. They each have a particular language designed to keep non members out. Computer nerds have their own language too and the more incomphrehensible the better to separate themselves from the 'ignorant' masses. Now back in the infancy of the computer revolution only very few people were into computers and nerds/geeks naturally were drawn to it. The whole point of bing in the nerd culture is to make computers and all the gadgets seem complicated and oh so cool and mysterious, thus boosting the egos of those at the center of it and perpetuate the myth surrounding the tech illuminati. Being able to spout term like mbps, RAM size, pixels per square inch and so on, is part of this game. The more the better! Along comes Apple who opened up the computer to the masses and broke the code. Apple is seen as a traitor by the tech illuminati because they broke the cardinal rule of "It's got to be complicated and mysterious" not simple and easy to use. The more bugs, dificulties , features a device has the more the user need the nerds to fix it and come up wth ingenious ways to solve all the problems. And it also provides them with a money to support their addiction for more and more gadgets. PC architecture, MSDOS and Windows are the pinacle of complicated, buggy unintuitive badly designed hardware and software. The tech nerds and geeks have been wetting themselves for the last 20 years over this Holy Grail and are now in shock at the slow but sure displacement of their Kingdom with something as simple and easy to use as an iPad/iPhone, WTF it doesn 't have a command prompt! "What is going on". Their attempt to regain the old world order is being heralded by Android. An attempt to return to the old world of DOS like stupidity where the hardware and software is all so fragmented and screwed up it causes all kinds of security, file corruption, incompatible version issues. A nerd's dream, after all, what is a nerd going to do with all the free time but stay up all weekend hacking into Android to find some ingenious way to get off.

You know which group you belong to!
  • Reply 85 of 190

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

You can't be serious.

Because you'd have to be a complete derp to not understand how the iPad mini canibalizes iPad sales.

1. Previously the only way to get an iPad of any kind, was to get an iPad.

2. Apple introduces iPad mini...which is every bit an iPad....but cheaper (not to mention pretty damn slick looking)

3. Would-be iPad buyers get an iPad mini instead of an iPad.

Done.

Oh yeah?

iPad mini helped the persons who really cant buy iPad, in first place.

• Reply 86 of 190
    Typical or not doesn't matter. WSJ used the "same" method, same brightness for iPad mini and got 10 hours battery life Apple claimed. The same method for new Nexus 7 only lasted a little more than 6 hours, 3 hours short of Google's boast. You can make the brightness brighter and turn WI-FI off or turn the damn thing off completely and boasted 100 hours battery life, no one cares.

What did Walt Mossberg called battery life of new N7 again?

I wasn't aware Walt Mossberg did any battery tests on it. I did know he made an observation but no idea what he based it on. In any event grabbing the worst possible battery test result you can find and then running with it as tho it's a fact beyond dispute wouldn't be acceptable to you if it was in regard to an Apple product. Why would you endorse that now?
  • Reply 87 of 190
    I wasn't aware Walt Mossberg did any battery tests on it. I did know he made an observation but no idea what he based it on. In any event grabbing the worst possible battery test result you can find and then running with it as tho it's a fact beyond dispute wouldn't be acceptable to you if it was in regard to an Apple product. Why would you endorse that now?

Like I said, the iPad mini lasted 10 hours with this "the worst possible battery life test" you mentioned. It's already "in regard" to Apple product. The test you linked who knows how long it will last? 20 hours maybe?

By the way, Walt Mossberg called the battery life of new Nexus 7 "LOUSY". I wonder what it means. Do you know?
  • Reply 88 of 190
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

yes, DED overlooked the mediocre battery life of the N7, which has to be second to none in importance in any rating - what does it matter how it scores on anything else when the battery is dead?

i checked the Verge review scoresheet that gave the N7 a 9.0 score. on their chart the 8 categories actually average to 8.5 (total 68 points). but! "More times than not, the Verge score is based on the average of the subscores below. However, since this is a non-weighted average, we reserve the right to tweak the overall score if we feel it doesn't reflect our overall assessment and price of the product."

there has been no score change made due to these new issues.

then i checked the Verge's iPad mini review. it also totaled 68, and they also bumped that up to 9.0. so far so good.

so let's compare each category score:

Design: mini gets 9 vs. N7 gets 8. this is basically the whole physical package. so a noticeably smaller screen in a plastic shell is marked down only 1 point? i give it a 7.

Display: mini gets a 7 while N7 gets a 10. so a retina display with flawed color accuracy get a huge 3 points more? i give it a 9.

Cameras: both get an 8. ok i guess.

Speakers: 9 for mini, 8 for N7. ok i guess.

Performance: mini gets an 8 while N7 gets 9! this is horseshit, where the known N7 problems should be marked down substantially - to a 7 at most.

Software: mini gets an 8, N7 gets an 9! this is more horseshit! this is about the OS + apps, and apps are an undeniable Android tablet weak spot. should be at least a 2 point differential, so it should be a 6.

Battery: mini gets a 9, N7 gets 8. but with about 1/3 shorter real battery life N7 should be a 6.

Ecosystem: mini gets a 10, N7 gets 8. ok.

so ... my N7 score totals 59, an average of 7.4. add that extra 0.5 point bump both got for being the latest thing, and you have a 7.9 score.

7.9 for N7 vs. 9.0 for today's mini - sounds about right.

and if all Apple does this Fall is add a color-accurate retina display and faster chip to the mini plus iOS7 that would add 3 points for display, and at least 1 point each for software and performance. bringing total points to 73. plus the bump that would score 9.6.

let's see if the Verge can figure that out.

• Reply 89 of 190
    Typical or not doesn't matter.

Well of course it matters. Your were implying a" real world" test of the Nexus 7 battery life wouldn't be appropriate using 50% brightness. I think if you check your iPad Mini's display settings it might be around that same 50% indoors. It doesn't really matter if the Nexus 7 could beat the battery times of the much-lower-res iPad Mini. Common sense will tell you it wouldn't. But it does make quite a difference if the real-world battery tests show 8-9 hours, or a need to charge only every few days, compared to one previous newspaper reporter who claimed there was only about 6 hours.
  • Reply 90 of 190

By the way, Walt Mossberg called the battery life of new Nexus 7 "LOUSY". I wonder what it means. Do you know?

I've no idea what usage led to the comment. Do you?
  • Reply 91 of 190
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

the correct way to measure is to actually measure the light - candlepower? - emitted by the screens and then set both tablets to the same level before running the battery test. a few tech sites do this, but i don't have a link.

• Reply 92 of 190
    Well of course it matters. Your were implying a" real world" test of the Nexus 7 battery life wouldn't be appropriate using 50% brightness. I think if you check your iPad Mini's display settings it might be around that same 50% indoors. It doesn't really matter if the Nexus 7 could beat the battery times of the much-lower-res iPad Mini. Common sense will tell you it wouldn't. But it does make quite a difference if the real-world battery tests show 8-9 hours, or a need to charge only every few days, compared to one previous newspaper reporter who claimed there was only about 6 hours.

This is too easy. I just copy and paste again.
    WSJ used the "same" method, same brightness for iPad mini and got 10 hours battery life Apple claimed. The same method for new Nexus 7 only lasted a little more than 6 hours, 3 hours short of Google's boast. You can make the brightness brighter and turn WI-FI off or turn the damn thing off completely and boast 100 hours battery life, no one cares.
    The test you linked who knows how long iPad mini will last? 20 hours maybe?

What did Walt Mossberg call battery life of new N7? LOUSY battery life. Do you know what it means?
  • Reply 93 of 190
    I've no idea what usage led to the comment. Do you?

LOL. What does LOUSY battery life mean? Ha. Ha.
  • Reply 94 of 190
    This is too easy. I just copy and paste again. Typical or not doesn't matter. WSJ used the "same" method, same brightness for iPad mini and got 10 hours battery life Apple claimed. The same method for new Nexus 7 only lasted a little more than 6 hours, 3 hours short of Google's boast. You can make the brightness brighter and turn WI-FI off or turn the damn thing off completely and boast 100 hours battery life, no one cares.

What did Walt Mossberg call battery life of new N7? LOUSY battery life. Do you know what it means?

Is 8 or 9 hours of real use, or needing to recharge every two or three days unacceptably poor? Is 50% brightness indoors unacceptable dim? I'd like to think you'd offer an honest opinion for either of those questions. It matters not for the moment if we're talking about an Apple product or a Nexus or any old tablet for that matter. Would either of those things make a device unacceptable to you and why?
  • Reply 95 of 190
    Is 8 or 9 hours of real use, or needing to recharge every couple of days unacceptably poor? Is 50% brightness indoors unacceptable dim? I'd like you think you'd offer an honest opinion for either of those questions. It matters not for the moment if we're talking about an Apple product or a Nexus or any old tablet for that matter. Would either of those things make a device unacceptable to you and why?

If 50% get iPad mini 20 hours, then I have no wonder why Walt Mossberg called Nexus 7 battery life lousy. Ha. Ha.
  • Reply 96 of 190
    alfiejr wrote: »
    the correct way to measure is to actually measure the light - candlepower? - emitted by the screens and then set both tablets to the same level before running the battery test. a few tech sites do this, but i don't have a link.

ArsTechnica would be one of those test sites.
  • Reply 97 of 190
    mehdimehdi Posts: 42member
    I agree this is a very biased article. I happen to have 2 iPad (2nd and 4th gen) and a Nexus 7 2nd generation. I like the form factor and the beautiful screen on the Nexus, just as much as I like the screen on my 4th gen iPad. I agree with this article's lack of maturity on many of the Android apps, but I have not experienced any of the issues mentioned here. The lack of maturity (junk apps) is present on many of the IOS apps as well... one just needs to choose wisely.

I would've purchased an iPad Mini if it had decent screen, but that was not the case. So, it's not surprising that I find myself using the Nexus tablet more and more... the form factor just lends itself better... easier to carry, hold, etc.

As the hardware from these other vendors gets more mature and capable, Android is getting better too. I'm glad that Apple is seeing this as shot across its bow and is doing something about it. Competition is healthy and the consumer is ultimately the winner.

Being a fan-boy for sake of defending a company or brand is not cool. Give credit where credit is due.
  • Reply 98 of 190
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    d4njvrzf wrote: »
    Yet did those issues prevent Apple products from getting "stellar reviews"? The article claims that the nexus 7 is getting favorable treatment in the press despite users reporting various problems. Aren't apple products received similarly by the public?

The difference is that the complaints about Apple's product problems either turned out to be false, extremely rare, or were fixed almost right away - and had no impact on long term use.

The problems with the Nexus tablets were widespread and made the tablets almost unusable in many cases.
    nelsonx wrote: »
    You can be sure DED is paid by Apple. As for the majority of people on this site, yes, since they are Apple shareholders they ARE paid by Apple.

1. Please provide the evidence that ANYONE here is paid by Apple.

2. If you look at the advertising, AI appears to get a lot more revenue from Google than from Apple, so by your logic, Google products must be even worse than DED says.
  • Reply 99 of 190
    Walt Mossberg called battery life of new Nexus 7 something I can't quite remember. Atrocious? Pathetic? Something along these lines. That say it all.

EDIT: "Lousy". Now I remember.

Finally, Walty-boy gets something right... Just like consumer reports which for so long have been recommending crap tech products...e.g., phones, MS/PC's etc., ugh!
  • Reply 100 of 190
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member

Quote:

"I cannot pick up my Nexus 7 without experiencing problems like a lag of ten seconds, or more, just to rotate the display,"

I can't see what the problem is, what's wrong with rotating the display then doing something in the meantime, like make a sandwich or finding your car keys, then the display will be nice and rotated when you return.