Apple's new iOS 7 design comes to iCloud.com beta testers

Posted:
in iCloud edited January 2014
Apple on Wednesday updated its iCloud.com beta site for developers, bringing many of the design elements the company already introduced to testers in pre-release builds of iOS 7.

iCloud

The newly updated iCloud.com includes the iOS 7 icons for Mail, Contacts, Calendar, Notes, and Reminders. The icon for Find My iPhone has also been given a simpler, iOS 7-style look.

Apple's iWork for iCloud.com suite remains in beta, and the icons for those applications have not been revised to reflect the design changes in iOS 7.

iCloud

The Web apps themselves have also been updated to more closely reflect their new look found in iOS 7 for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.

iOS 7 is scheduled to launch this fall, presumably soon after Apple's anticipated media event on Sept. 10. No release date has been given for the iCloud.com update, currently in beta form.

iCloud

iCloud

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

Why do those icon colours still look so Samsungy/Microsoft to me?

• Reply 2 of 60
    I wonder how/if they'll redesign the iWork icons... they look very out-of-place. Weird.
  • Reply 3 of 60
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    carthusia wrote: »
    I wonder how/if they'll redesign the iWork icons... they look very out-of-place. Weird.
    I hope so. Would be awesome if one of the events this fall introduced a redesigned suite of iWork apps that were free in the App Store.
  • Reply 4 of 60
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Welcome to AppleInsider!  Just so you know, there will be lots of newbie trolls hitting the site as iOS 7 and iPhone "5S" and "5C" are rolled out.  Just remember not to feed the more obvious ones.  Especially the low-post-count one-line wonders.

• Reply 5 of 60
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    carthusia wrote: »

Might be because it's still in beta. Mail has a similar blue, gradient background though.
  • Reply 6 of 60
    Find My Phone Still uses Googe Maps, though....

Sigh!
  • Reply 7 of 60
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Old-school iOS: hyper-detailed icons, drop shadows everywhere.

iOS 7 and later: clean icons, layers and "3D" depth and responsiveness.

Say what you want about "flat" vs. "skeuomorphic."  The fundamental driver behind much of the iOS 7 changes is the new virtual lighting.  Instead of simulating light coming from above the user's head, iOS 7 simulates light radiating from inside the iOS device itself.  Few if any drop shadows.  Much more translucency.  More "truth," in that light really is radiating from the iPhone's screen.

iOS and its devices are far more important to Apple now and in the future than OS X and Macs.  Because of that, we'll see design trickle down from iOS to OS X and iCloud.  Better to have a strong family resemblance between all software products.  Less confusion for users, more Apple branding throughout all products and services.

And, as a side benefit, iOS 7 and OS X will look completely different than "the competition."  Android, Windows Phone, Windows 8, Windows RT, and whatever other OSes there are out there will all look old-school compared to iOS and OS X.  It might take a year for Google to warm over Android to look as fresh and new as iOS 7.  It might take Microsoft 2 years to warm over Windows Phone to look fresh.  And it might take Microsoft 5 years to warm over Windows desktop to look fresh.  And in 5 years, there may not even be a Surface.  So there may never be a new, fresh-looking Windows RT.

• Reply 8 of 60
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    pazuzu wrote: »

Because they are ugly.
  • Reply 9 of 60
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I hope so. Would be awesome if one of the events this fall introduced a redesigned suite of iWork apps that were free in the App Store.

This is rumoured.
  • Reply 10 of 60
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    ireland wrote: »
    This is rumoured.
    Ooh let it be so.
  • Reply 11 of 60
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member

Sigh!

So does Aperture, and I believe iPhoto (OSX) as well. Oh well, 10.9 isn't RTM, yet.
  • Reply 12 of 60

I like it! I agree about the iWork icons, though! :)

• Reply 13 of 60
    camcam Posts: 35member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Welcome to AppleInsider!  Just so you know, there will be lots of newbie trolls hitting the site as iOS 7 and iPhone "5S" and "5C" are rolled out.  Just remember not to feed the more obvious ones.  Especially the low-post-count one-line wonders.

Exactly.  As usual, the paid Samsung minions are out in force to be sure.

Personally, I love the clarity, simplicity and freshness of this new direction.  This is a major re-think that will take some time to become fully refined, but it lays a forward-thinking foundation that will actually allow functionality to take precedent.

This is actually very exciting!

• Reply 14 of 60
    philboogie wrote: »

Sigh!

So does Aperture, and I believe iPhoto (OSX) as well. Oh well, 10.9 isn't RTM, yet.

Mavericks DP5 came with a new (non-backward-compatible) iPhoto. It appears to use an iOS Maps backbend -- no Google or Apple "bug" of any kind.

Edit: Definitely Apple Maps.
  • Reply 15 of 60
    dilliodillio Posts: 106member
    This is my first look at this interface, since I do not have iOS7 beta. Not sure what to think yet. It's good to have a change, I'll see how it feels over time.
  • Reply 16 of 60
    These IOS 7 features seem more of actual public release before they do to much because probably a % of average users might hate the redesign that just stay loyal to apple do to things standard.
  • Reply 17 of 60
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Sadly, not in Canada yet.  image

• Reply 18 of 60
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I agree except I don't like the idea of them being free at all.  

I also hope we are given the opportunity to pick and choose what shows up in the cloud.  I have no use for Keynote at all (I don't even own a recent copy) and don't want to be staring at it all the time. 

• Reply 19 of 60
    So ugly.
  • Reply 20 of 60
    jetlawjetlaw Posts: 156member

I agree that the iWork icons look out of place.  That being said, I am having a really hard time warming up to the new iOS7 icon look as well.  To me, the "Notes" icon, in particular, looks especially bad.