Leaked parts may show pill-shaped dual-LED flash for Apple's 'iPhone 5S'

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

There have also been claims of advanced high-dynamic range pictures...

That's far more important than bumping the pixel count by a mere 50%.

To me, anyway.  Because you don't see a real increase in picture "sharpness"

until there is a 2x improvement in linear resolution, which requires 4x the pixels.

But you will see a real improvement in picture quality if there is more shadow and/or

highlight detail.

Oops.  Forgot that sometimes "high dynamic range" means merging two images together:

the "highlight" and the "shadow" exposures.  And that looks unnatural and sometimes blurry.

Better to increase the range of the sensor itself rather than improve the merging algorithm.

• Reply 22 of 29
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by APPLGUY View Post

Possibly, but placing it further towards the top allows more room for other components and a larger battery.

Steve wouldn't have cared. Hopefully the drawing isn't what we get.

• Reply 23 of 29
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    With Apple's next iPhone expected to feature a dual-LED flash for better illumination in photos, a newly leaked part may show the pill-shaped design where those two flash modules will reside.

A believe you mean capsule shaped. Pills are spherical and were traditionally made by rolling a medicament infused putty between pharmacists' index fingers and thumbs. They are no longer common except in herbal medicine. What many people call pills are actually tablets (compressed powder) or capsules (granules in gelatin housing).
  • Reply 24 of 29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I'm not a photographer, but lemme take a wild guess:

Better, more powerful flash = better pictures, especially under low light.

I am a photographer and honestly, flash is one of the most misused features on cameras. Most of the time it makes photos look anything but good. 

So many people keep it turned on 100% of the time and it shows in their photos. It does terrible things to skin tones and when used at close range and results in washed-out faces that look unnatural and kind of hideous. Never, ever use it for a selfie. 

At the same time, you'll see people using it for subjects really far away. If you're at a concert, guess how many of those photo flashes you're seeing are doing anything at all to illuminate the performers on stage? 0%. The light just isn't making it that far. But it sure is making it into the eyes of everyone in the immediate vicinity of the person taking the photo. People still blindly stand there setting off flash after flash, not helping themselves or anyone else. 

Flash should be off most of the time if you're interested in taking a good-looking photo, as opposed to a photo you want to post just to show everyone you were at place X doing Y.

Especially if you don't have a camera with adjustable flash intensity settings. A DSLR firing a 1/4 power fill flash is not going to have the same effect as full power. 

On an iPhone, try to use HDR, or move to a location with better lighting. 

With a real camera, get the hell out of Auto mode and go full manual. It's not rocket science. Your photos will look a million times better than the blurry, washed-out crap you see all over social media. 

• Reply 25 of 29

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoctorGonzo View Post

Flash should be off most of the time if you're interested in taking a good-looking photo, as opposed to a photo you want to post just to show everyone you were at place X doing Y.

For point and shoots, yes. For (D)SLRs, no. If used correctly, a flash is a great tool you have in your bag, and I use mine 90% of the time for those closer shots, and always with a defuser. I do prefer continual light when available. 

• Reply 26 of 29
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    I'm sure they have tested this extensively, but I would have placed the flash a bit further from the lens.

I might also have made it horizontal and convex so that more light would spill to the left and right of the subject, giving more overall light instead of a flashlight look when shooting closeups. Perhaps a bit wider then as well, by 50%. 

Indeed, putting it further away from the lens will do wonders. You're a photographer, or hobbyist?
  • Reply 27 of 29

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Indeed, putting it further away from the lens will do wonders. You're a photographer, or hobbyist?

I've done a job or two :) 

RichGetz.com

• Reply 28 of 29
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    I've done a job or two :) 

RichGetz.com

Wow! Just goes to show I'm just a hobbyist. Props to you sir!
  • Reply 29 of 29

Quote:

Originally Posted by younc1002 View Post

I can't understand why it is important for apple to add the dual-flash.

My guess is that the LEDs will be different colors so that in addition to being brighter, when flashed they compliment each other to provide more natural lighting for photos. I'm no photo expert, but I do know that some of my photos look pretty washed out with the previous generation's flash.