final cut 2-=>3 problem new 12" PB

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Okay so I have a problem. I upgraded from final cut 2.0 to 3.0 with the upgrade option. I just got a 12" PB and want to use it for onsite editing so I am going to move my final cut to the PB. However I can't install 2.0 under OS X...it won't install in classic mode and I can't boot into OS 9 with the new comps. Well I can't use my upgrade to 3.0 without 2.0 already installed. Is there any solution or am I going to have to pony up $300 for Express (which I could do becasue I only shoot in DV) and just leave 3.0 on my tower?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    os10geekos10geek Posts: 413member
    So let me get this straight...you have FC 2 and a FC 3 upgrade, and you want to install FC 2 and upgrade to 3? Aaah, the frugal type! You can try copying FC 3 from your Desktop system to your 12" PB over a Ethernet crossover cable, avoiding proper installation, but I am not positive whether this will work. Last resort, you can try posting something on the Apple Support Forum for Final Cut.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Hmm... I wonder if copying 3.0 over would work... worth a shot, anyway.

If both versions were purchased legitimately, I'm sure Apple would provide some way of getting it to work. I was actually just wondering about this very thing. Give Apple a call and see what they say.

[ 03-13-2003: Message edited by: murbot ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 6
    os10geekos10geek Posts: 413member
    It works with small applications...copying over, I mean. For example, when you "install" Windowshade X, you don't install it by definition, but instead copy it over from the CD-ROM to the Applications folder. I think that it would work for Finalcut. Try it.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 567member
    I'm having the same problem with the dual 1.42 I just got.

I have original v1.2 installer disc and the v3 updater disc which was ok on my old G4. I've tried everything, from a straight copy to installing the first version on a firewire drive with OS 9.2 and plugging that into my new machine, but the updater still won't recognize it.

It's driving me nuts.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 567member
    A few goes later I got it...

Copy all FCP files from the Application Support folder and the Preferences from your old OS 9 machine across to the System Folder (Classic) on your new machine, as well as the earlier version of FCP. Then when you update it, all the reference files are there.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Phone Apple and then tell the operator to transfer your call to MULTIMEIDA DEPARTMENT.

Then tell the guy you need a new FCP 3.0 full installer CD

Give them the serial number of both your FCP and your PowerBook and they will send you one CD for free.