Google's new Nexus 7 gets stellar reviews despite faults, jitters, lagging apps

Comments

• Reply 121 of 190
    jragosta wrote: »
    A device that doesn't fall apart after 3 months of light usage.

Okay so by that definition, and seeing as how DeD identified the components glitches that define "Cheap" then it appears the iPhone 5 is officially a cheaply built device

http://www.redmondpie.com/iphone-5-could-have-a-serious-hardware-based-touchscreen-problem-video/

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3953651?start=0&tstart=0

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4329731?start=0&tstart=0
  • Reply 122 of 190
    searssears Posts: 9member

To all those apple fans:

You are not giving android a chance. I recently purchased the new Nexus 7 and I LOVE IT. Before I used apple products myself. I wanted a 7 inch tablet, but the iPad Mini is WAY overpriced. I payed $270 for my 32gb Nexus 7, or I could have payed $430 for the iPad Mini. I made the switch for 3 reasons; the ridiculous price, I was getting tired of iOS, and android is a lot more open. iOS is so restrictive, it just felt the same old. With android, I can put customize the homescreen and lock screen, see what apps are running and kill them, and lot other stuff iOS can't do without jailbreaking. Some apple fans have reasons why iOS is better, but don't look at the pros of android. Y'all need to look at the pros and come of both operating systems, and stop giving android all this crap. I'm not saying android is better, I'm saying people don't consider it. Y'all need to consider both. 

• Reply 123 of 190
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Okay so by that definition, and seeing as how DeD identified the components glitches that define "Cheap" then it appears the iPhone 5 is officially a cheaply built device

http://www.redmondpie.com/iphone-5-could-have-a-serious-hardware-based-touchscreen-problem-video/

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3953651?start=0&tstart=0

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4329731?start=0&tstart=0

I see. So you can't tell the difference between real problems and imagined ones. None of those turned out to be real design problems. One appears to be a single phone that might be defective and the other is just the kind of random complaint you get from a tiny number of users no matter how great a product is. Nothing like the Nexus - where the overwhelming majority of published reviews cite the exact same problems.
    sears wrote: »
    To all those apple fans:

You are not giving android a chance. I recently purchased the new Nexus 7 and I LOVE IT. Before I used apple products myself. I wanted a 7 inch tablet, but the iPad Mini is WAY overpriced. I payed $270 for my 32gb Nexus 7, or I could have payed $430 for the iPad Mini. I made the switch for 3 reasons; the ridiculous price, I was getting tired of iOS, and android is a lot more open. iOS is so restrictive, it just felt the same old. With android, I can put customize the homescreen and lock screen, see what apps are running and kill them, and lot other stuff iOS can't do without jailbreaking. Some apple fans have reasons why iOS is better, but don't look at the pros of android. Y'all need to look at the pros and come of both operating systems, and stop giving android all this crap. I'm not saying android is better, I'm saying people don't consider it. Y'all need to consider both. 

Collect your check from Google on your way out the door.

As for the bolded, you're wrong - at least for many of the people here. I've used Android and it stinks. Several other people have given their own experience, as well. So even your initial statement is just plain false. The rest is just the usual fandroid whining.
  • Reply 124 of 190
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

Design: If a larger display was worth design points, should 4.7 inch displays earn android devices extra points compared to the iphone5?

Display: I'm no display expert, but in Anandtech's quantitative review of the nexus 7's display, they don't seem to have problems with color accuracy (http://www.anandtech.com/show/7176/nexus-7-2013-mini-review/2)

Lastly, does "Software" include apps or just the OS? If that category includes third-party apps, then what does "Ecosystem" measure? The ipad certainly has better third-party apps, but Android these days is in some respects more advanced than iOS. Features like intents for inter-app communication (sort of like iOS URL schemes but much more general) and multiple user profiles put android closer in functionality to OS X than iOS. 

nice try.

tablets ain't phones. one hand operation is not a goal. optimal website display is.

Anandtech is a notorious Android fanperson. CNET, certainly an Android-friendly site, reports:

However, despite its color improvements, the 2013 Nexus 7's screen doesn't represent color as accurately or vibrantly as the 8-inch Samsung Galaxy Tab 3's, though the Tab 3's screen isn't as sharp. The Nexus 7's screen looks comparatively greenish when looking at pictures or movies of faces and sometimes pushes purple when lots of bright colors are in the mix. Most won't notice, but it definitely stands out with the two tablets side by side.

since it's the only "software" rating, that score must include both the OS and apps. iOS7 is the new standard.

"ecosystem" of course is all the other interrelated services, hardware, etc. Google has the best cloud ecosystem, no doubt. Apple has the best hardware/accessories ecosystem, no doubt. further impact of iOS7 remains to be taken into account.

• Reply 125 of 190

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I see. So you can't tell the difference between real problems and imagined ones. None of those turned out to be real design problems. One appears to be a single phone that might be defective and the other is just the kind of random complaint you get from a tiny number of users no matter how great a product is. Nothing like the Nexus - where the overwhelming majority of published reviews cite the exact same problems.

As for the bolded, you're wrong - at least for many of the people here. I've used Android and it stinks. Several other people have given their own experience, as well. So even your initial statement is just plain false. The rest is just the usual fandroid whining.

I'm not a fandroid, I've been using android for a week. OK, so you've given android a chance, good for you. Not everyone will like android. Not everyone will like iOS. 

I have had no problems with my Nexus 7. Maybe these problems will come up, but they probably will be fixed. The same has happened with apple. You could have just replied and said I have tried android it stinks. I say good for you, you've actually touched an android phone/tablet. 

• Reply 126 of 190
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by sears View Post

but the iPad Mini is WAY overpriced.

No, try again. I won't point out the irony of someone called "Sears" complaining about "overpriced".

iOS is so restrictive, it just felt the same old. With android, I can put customize the homescreen and lock screen, see what apps are running and kill them, and lot other stuff iOS can't do without jailbreaking. 

Except everything you said can be done without jailbreaking. Do you even know how to troll? Please, people.

Y'all need to consider both. 

Android was stolen directly from Apple. How could it possibly be worth considering? Answer that.

• Reply 127 of 190

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, try again. I won't point out the irony of someone called "Sears" complaining about "overpriced".

Except everything you said can be done without jailbreaking. Do you even know how to troll? Please, people.

Android was stolen directly from Apple. How could it possibly be worth considering? Answer that.

My first name is sears, I have nothing to do with the store. 

The only way you can customize an iOS home screen is by sorting apps and making folders. You cannot customize the lock screen. 

Android may be a copy of iOS, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't consider it. This may be a bad example, but take the Wright Brothers plane. This was there first successful fixed wing plane. IOS was the first successful touch screen os. Other planes came after the first plane, other os' came after iOS.

• Reply 128 of 190
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

The only way you can customize an iOS home screen is by sorting apps and making folders. You cannot customize the lock screen. 

Please try again, this time without lying.

Android may be a copy of iOS, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't consider it.

Yes, it does. Run along now.

• Reply 129 of 190
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

nice try.

tablets ain't phones. one hand operation is not a goal. optimal website display is.

Anandtech is a notorious Android fanperson. CNET, certainly an Android-friendly site, reports:

However, despite its color improvements, the 2013 Nexus 7's screen doesn't represent color as accurately or vibrantly as the 8-inch Samsung Galaxy Tab 3's, though the Tab 3's screen isn't as sharp. The Nexus 7's screen looks comparatively greenish when looking at pictures or movies of faces and sometimes pushes purple when lots of bright colors are in the mix. Most won't notice, but it definitely stands out with the two tablets side by side.

Funny, I was under the impression that Anandtech likes Apple very much. Same with CNET. At any rate, the reviewer's preference is not really relevant here because we are talking about quantitative measures of color accuracy. If you don't like Anandtech, have a look at Notebookcheck's rather meticulous review, which also concludes that the Nexus 7 beats the Galaxy Tab 3 8.0:

Quote:

Grayscale and color accuracy are both surprisingly good at no more than a deltaE deviation of 3 units and 5 units, respectively. This only becomes more accurate the more saturated the colors are according to our tests with the CalMAN software. This is uncommon for most other tablets where the deltaE can be over 10 units for many colors under the same test conditions as seen in our reviews of the Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 and Iconia W3 810. The 2.35 gamma is also close to the 2.2 ideal sRGB target while the 6701K color temperature is close to the 6500K standard. For such a low-priced tablet, the screen simply outclasses its competitors in this regard.

(http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Google-Nexus-7-16-GB-2013-Tablet.98299.0.html)

• Reply 130 of 190

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Please try again, this time without lying.

Yes, it does. Run along now.

Oh, I forgot, you can change the wallpaper. 

Please let me know what I'm missing.

• Reply 131 of 190
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

nice try.

Then what's the point of a sub-10-inch tablet? Were people complaining that the full iPad is too heavy? Why does Apple's own website for the ipad mini (http://www.apple.com/ipad-mini/overview/prominently display the device fitting in one hand? If ease of one-handed use is a consideration when evaluating a smaller tablet, then the nexus 7 deserves credit for being easier to hold in one hand.

• Reply 132 of 190
    jragosta wrote: »

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=nexus 7 review&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CDwQFjAD&url=http://reviews.cnet.com/google-nexus-7/&ei=uWUMUun8BqveyQG1oIG4Bw&usg=AFQjCNHpM_7bS_FRQSd5tgK_sPf14UPhpg&sig2=aXKxsy9dkWX793tswHwBSw

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2406552,00.asp
    "Well Built"

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/29/nexus-7-review-2013/
    "This go-round, the two tech giants had much more time to perfect the device, which bodes well for the quality here, we'd say.

http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/gadgets/new-nexus-7-1169802/review
    "Durable Build

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/07/the-2013-nexus-7-review-meet-the-new-standard-for-android-tablets/3/

I can continue pasting good reviews, and I didn't have to search far, only the first page of googling "Nexus 7 review"

Please shows us what "Overwhelming" reviews you're talking about?
  • Reply 133 of 190

Quote:

To all those apple fans:

To all those CrapAndroid fans:

GTFO already!!!! I might understand someone recommending me Windows RT as it is really different that iOS and it could at some point in the distant future evolve into some sort of lower end competitor. Android on the other hand is complete and outer BS. It is not just the substandard quality of the OS but Google's criminal ethics. Anyone who recommends Android is either a RETARD, an Apple hating Psychopath or simply paid by Google!!!

• Reply 134 of 190
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

Then what's the point of a sub-10-inch tablet? Were people complaining that the full iPad is too heavy? Why does Apple's own website for the ipad mini (http://www.apple.com/ipad-mini/overview/prominently display the device fitting in one hand? If ease of one-handed use is a consideration when evaluating a smaller tablet, then the nexus 7 deserves credit for being easier to hold in one hand.

oh come on. this is tedious. for a smartphone one hand use means both hold and operate some of the display UI with literally one hand, like to call or text - it's a phone first and foremost after all. you could have your other hand in your pocket. holding a tablet in your left hand while using your right (or vice versa) to manipulate the tablet touchscreen is obviously "two handed" use. that needs explaining for you?

of course a key advantage of all smaller tablets is their lighter weight compared to the full size. much easier to hold without other support for extended periods of time. that's needs explaining for you?

i suppose the N7 is easier to hold than the mini in portrait mode, since its narrower. but using it in portrait mode pretty much sucks, so good luck with that.

• Reply 135 of 190
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

Quote:

My first name is sears fucktard, I have nothing to do with the store. 

And by the way, your birth certificate is an apology letter from the condom factory. 

If you are trying to be viewed as reasonably open minded person for who's opinion should be considered equally,  these comments just undid any progress you think you made towards your goals. 

• Reply 136 of 190
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

You may want to go back and read the same kind of reviews of the original N7 and then

compare it to the recent poll of 2012 N7 "List of Known Faults" from the xda-developer Android forums.

Here are the known problems after a year. 

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1801464

It appear these problems took a while to develop because NONE of these problems were raised in ANY reviews in 2012.  Had these problems show up early on, how many would have recommended the original N7 and given it its high rating back in 2012? 

They include:

Screen Lift/Seperation

Headphone Socket Not Working

Wi-Fi Dropping

Battery/Power Drain (too fast)

Defective OEM Charger

Battery Will Not charge

Dead Pixels

Light Bleed

USB Connector Broken Out Of The Box

Touchscreen Not Functioning

Crackling Speaker

Screen Tearing

Not sure why Flash slow down was not noted.

here are some reviews of the 2012 Model.  I have noted the claims of high quality and boastful recommendations!

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/28/nexus-7-review/  

Headline: "Nexus 7 review: the best $200 tablet you can buy".  

"The latest challenger to enter the competition is ASUS, partnering with Google to create the first Nexus tablet, a device that not only will amaze with its MSRP, but with its quality."

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/29/3125396/google-nexus-7-review ;

"Google’s Nexus 7 isn’t just an excellent tablet for $200. It’s an excellent tablet, period. In fact, it’s the first Android tablet that I can confidently recommend to buyers — and not just because it’s got a low price tag (though that certainly helps). It’s a well-designed, powerful, and useful product, with lots of bells and whistles that makes it feel like a device that should be more expensive than it is....Believe it or not, the last time I was surprised by a product with those same qualities, it was called the iPad. 

"

Verge rating 8.8/User rating 9.1

For N7 2013, so far the list is much smaller. Then again its only been a few weeks.

You can review the same web site but in the N7 2013 section for the problems. I have collected most of the popular discussions here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2409

GPS quits working - Acknowledged by Google

Multi-touch not working correctly when no path to ground - Acknowledged by Google

Random Reboots

Chrome Crashes Often

Notification LED not working

2 steps forward, 1 step back? We shall see. However, why anyone would buy another N7 (2013) after having an N7(2013) is beyond me.  Its like continuing to buy a  car brand knowing full well it had more problems an other makes. These reviewers should already be aware that Asus and LG does not exactly make high quality tablets and smart phones. There should be no excuse to blindly recommend people on product made by these manufacturers simply because there is a Google branding on the box.

If you insist on Android, there are better options. Its not hard to figure out which ones are better than others in terms of quality. Just review that xda-developer forum for thread with large number of posts of problems reported for the make and model of interest.

Anyone claiming that the new 2013 N7 is a quality product and recommending it to others, would be well advised to give it more time before passing on recommendations for purchase given the poor track record of the 2012 model also built by Asus. Same goes for Nexus 4 built by LG.  

This just goes to prove that what looks flawless when it is new, can to look very different after a few months. I believe the technical characteristic which describes this is called "HW integrity and reliability". Anyone who would recommend something after only a few weeks of use, fully knowing the past models from this manufacturer commonly have issues is not doing themselves or others any favors.  Keeping this in mind, it is interesting to read a bunch of posts in that forum from people coming for help with issues and saying they bought a used 2012 N7 from their "buddy" who upgraded to a different model. With friends like that, who needs enemies?

• Reply 137 of 190

I had a Sony Tablet S,  typical Sony build quality - solid,  interesting form factor, nice to handle. 

This is not a cheap device, around the same price as an iPad. BUT STILL CATASTROPHICALLY LET DOWN BY THE OPERATING SYSTEM.

The device wouldn't stay attached to my WiFi for more than 15 minutes without disconnecting when no other device disconnected. So as a standalone media consumption device OK.  As an online connected consumption device - A LOAD OF RUBBISH.

IF I could get the SD card to mount properly without having to fight the OS and use third party apps to put content on the card - for those reasons alone and probably more if I could be bothered to find them I gave up and sold it.

I am IT literate, but for the average user who isn't - surely the target market for a tablet, it would be enough to make you put it in the drawer and leave it there as UNUSABLE.

• Reply 138 of 190
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cubefan View Post

I had a Sony Tablet S,  typical Sony build quality - solid,  interesting form factor, nice to handle. 

This is not a cheap device, around the same price as an iPad. BUT STILL CATASTROPHICALLY LET DOWN BY THE OPERATING SYSTEM.

The device wouldn't stay attached to my WiFi for more than 15 minutes without disconnecting when no other device disconnected. So as a standalone media consumption device OK.  As an online connected consumption device - A LOAD OF RUBBISH.

IF I could get the SD card to mount properly without having to fight the OS and use third party apps to put content on the card - for those reasons alone and probably more if I could be bothered to find them I gave up and sold it.

I am IT literate, but for the average user who isn't - surely the target market for a tablet, it would be enough to make you put it in the drawer and leave it there as UNUSABLE.

The Tablet S was Sony's first dabble with android and was plagued with problems. Your experiences with this product should in no way be used as a generalization of other high end android tablets. I have owned an, Asus Transformer TF101, Transformer Infinity, Motorola Xoom, Xoom II (still my favorite android tablet), Samsung Tab 7.7 and now a Nexus 7 (2013), none of them ever or have yet to have any hardware problems. I'm sure your happy now with your iPad so all of this is just a moot point isn't it.

• Reply 139 of 190
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

I think people are getting too heated about this & are off base, I'd call myself an 'Apple Guy' I own many macs & iOS devices, first computers I've ever used were macs, but people need to chill out.

Anyways, I'm starting to think of iOS & Android like (sorry in advance) Apples & Oranges, they are both in the same family but are quite different.

I love my iPad mini & i have the new nexus 7, if i had to choose 1 of them id pick the mini.

Some people just want email, Internet & some thing to watch movies on & play music, the nexus 7 2nd gen, is really good at those few things, well one of them really, watching movies, the screen is nice & the speakers are great, if that's all you re doing then the thing wont get malware :p

I'm pretty lucky that i can afford to own many types of gadgets & toys, i have my favorites but i like to try everything & give it a go, people need to get real, stop driving new people from the site or we will be stuck with the same douchbag trolls that fight everyone for not thinking so linearly.

• Reply 140 of 190

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Have you used a nexus? Is it not biased if the claims are accurate. 

It's a rubbish tablet, sure. But this whole article just smacks of digging up dirt. I thought this site was supposed to be about Apple, not indulging DED's desire to fling mud at the competition?

Every time I load this site there's another smug article about how bad a Google or Samsung product is, normally containing a conspiracy theory about how Apple products are systematically underrated in reviews. It's childish and unprofessional. The other Apple news sites stick to actual news about Apple.