IP and Port addresses

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
According to my Internetworking book, TCP/IP supports three addresses, physical, internet and port addresses. And, according to the book port addresses is used to distinguish which process gets the data.

My question is, if I open a telnet session with 1.1.1.1 and another to 1.1.1.2, how does the computer know whick session gets the data (They would have the same port address, since it uses the same application ?). Or does telnet have different port for each process ?

Thanks for any reply!

.:BoeManE:.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 2 of 4
    boemaneboemane Posts: 311member
    How about if I connect to two FTP servers (Using the terminals FTP with two terminal windows), 1.1.1.1:21 and 1.1.1.2:21 Will a session ID be sent with the TCP/IP datagrams in addition with the IP address and Port address ? Or will the terminal FTP program gather and sort the data upon arival and direct it to its apropriate window ?

Im more interested in how the client machine handles this, than how the server does (which has a thread for each logged in user, i guess).

Thanks,

.:BoeManE:.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 4 of 4
    123123 Posts: 278member
    [quote]Originally posted by BoeManE:

<strong>

Im more interested in how the client machine handles this, than how the server does (which has a thread for each logged in user, i guess).

</strong><hr></blockquote>

while both clients connect TO the SAME port, they connect FROM two DIFFERENT ports.