Samsung to reportedly debut 'Galaxy Gear' smart watch on Sept. 4

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In what looks to be a bid to preempt Apple's anticipated fall iPhone announcement, Samsung is said to be prepping the so-called "Galaxy Gear" wearable computing device for an unveiling at its "Unpacked Episode 2" event scheduled for early September.

Samsung Watch PatentSamsung patent for a wrist watch computing device. | Source: Korean Intellectual Property Office via ABC

SamMobile, a blog covering Samsung mobile devices, "can confirm" that the South Korean tech giant will reveal its rumored "Galaxy Gear" smart watch at the "Samsung Unpacked Episode 2" event on Sept. 4 in Berlin.

Previously, the special media event was expected to showcase the company's next-generation Galaxy Note III phablet.

According to the publication, Samsung's Galaxy Gear will act as a companion device to existing Samsung Galaxy products. The final design of the rumored wrist computer is unknown, though a patent filing (above) that has been making the rounds could illustrate how the product may look.

A U.S. trademark application for "Galaxy Gear" was filed for earlier in August, describing a "Wearable digital electronic devices in the form of a wristwatch, wrist band or bangle capable of providing access to the Internet and for sending and receiving phone calls, electronic mails and messages."

In March, amid a flurry of Apple "iWatch" rumors, a Samsung executive revealed the company is working on yet another entry into the wrist-worn computing segment. Samsung has already fielded two failed attempts in the category.

A quick check with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office shows the Korean company has no shortage of "wearable computing" filings, including wrist-worn devices ranging from bracelets, to gloves, to hats.

Apple has also filed its own patent application for a wrist watch-like device and is currently seeking trademark rights for the "iWatch" name in a number of countries.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 81
    hydrhydr Posts: 146member
    More gimmick thrown at the wall, wonder what will stick...
  • Reply 2 of 81
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    The patent image of the Samsung Galaxy Gear is not accurate.

[IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/29890/width/200/height/400[/IMG]
  • Reply 3 of 81
    nikiloknikilok Posts: 383member
    gtr wrote: »

Lol that's funny.
  • Reply 4 of 81
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member

LMAO

Let's see how Samsung does launching something without a roadmap handed to them.  My prediction:  A total cluster fuc* 

• Reply 5 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

That is hysterical 

• Reply 6 of 81
    jmncljmncl Posts: 42member
    Reminds me of the Galaxy 10.1 tablet, which Samsung announced first, just before Apple released the iPad 2 which was a lot thinner, better battery life ,etc , causing Samsung to quickly go back to the drawing board for a couple of months to re-release a thinner version.

Any bets something similar will happen?

It's all just PR to them..
  • Reply 7 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

LMAO

Let's see how Samsung does launching something without a roadmap handed to them.  My prediction:  A total cluster fuc* 

So I am clear - a total shi* show.  A total screw-up, Surface-like debacle

Any questions on my prediction or where I stand? 

• Reply 8 of 81
    red oak wrote: »
    So I am clear - a total shi* show.  A total screw-up, Surface-like debacle

Any questions on my prediction or where I stand? 

Who are you and what are you doing here?
  • Reply 9 of 81
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    hydr wrote: »
    More gimmick thrown at the wall, wonder what will stick...
    I was going to say much the same in a more vulgar way. I believe monkeys do such things. Sling away, FacsimileSam.

If/When Apple does come out with something truly innovating, FaxSam, wont you look like the master copier as you toss your faulty designs to your over stuffed bin and suddenly spring a different shiny copy claiming 'original' was already in the works.
  • Reply 10 of 81
    I wouldn't be so supercilious about Samsung. They're not going to be castigated by the public for sucking, and this thing could very well be the beginning of big things for them too. Besides, I associate the laughing off of other people's products with Ballmer guffawing at the original iPhone.
  • Reply 11 of 81
    exomexom Posts: 12member

Wow! You sheep are funny (or delusional?)!

Continue to blabber about Apple 'innovation"...

Don't you know? Steve Jobs is dead. 

Apple is now governed by a bunch of out-of-touch, middle aged, white males. Do you honestly believe these fossiles will come up with something novel?

iPhone is for parents! Samsung GALAXY is for cool people.

• Reply 12 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewofArabia View Post

I wouldn't be so supercilious about Samsung. They're not going to be castigated by the public for sucking, and this thing could very well be the beginning of big things for them too. Besides, I associate the laughing off of other people's products with Ballmer guffawing at the original iPhone.

Oh oh. You will be banned soon! Heretic!

• Reply 13 of 81
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Assuming that Samsung is a component supplier for the imagined Apple watch, I'd expect Samsung to lift as many elements similar to Apple as possible (lawsuits be damned).

• Reply 14 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmncl View Post

Reminds me of the Galaxy 10.1 tablet, which Samsung announced first, just before Apple released the iPad 2 which was a lot thinner, better battery life ,etc , causing Samsung to quickly go back to the drawing board for a couple of months to re-release a thinner version.

Any bets something similar will happen?

It's all just PR to them..

So? What you just described sounds like a clever approach -- observe, innovate, and gradually improve.

Soon, MIGHTY SAMSUNG will beat Apple in the tablet category, too

(maybe not in US though, where Apple is being protected by the USA government).

• Reply 15 of 81

Write for your audience. The only one coming off as supercilious is you, making it nigh impossible to read beyond your pretension and glean any useful content you may have shared. Think about that next time you reach for the thesaurus.
  • Reply 16 of 81

Samesung only thrives on stolen ideas.  Its watch will be a failure, until Apple releases its watch and they get back on the steal everything Apple comes up with train.  F Samsung.

• Reply 17 of 81
    Write for your audience. The only one coming off as supercilious is you, making it nigh impossible to read beyond your pretension and glean any useful content you may have shared. Think about that next time you reach for the thesaurus.

What's your problem? You know what supercilious means. It doesn't require a thesaurus, does it? You used it too. Wtf. I wasn't being contentious with anyone, just giving a friendly warning that Samsung is a formidable opponent, so it might be foolish to belittle them like we're a bunch of Microsoft/Blackberry executives.
  • Reply 18 of 81
    wtf is "nigh impossible"? And you call ME pretentious. Who are you pretending to sound like?
  • Reply 19 of 81
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewofArabia View Post

wtf is "nigh impossible"? And you call ME pretentious. Who are you pretending to sound like?

/click member's name

/click "block member"

/reload page

/enjoy thread without idiots

• Reply 20 of 81
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    What's your problem? You know what supercilious means. It doesn't require a thesaurus, does it? You used it too. Wtf. I wasn't being contentious with anyone, just giving a friendly warning that Samsung is a formidable opponent, so it might be foolish to belittle them like we're a bunch of Microsoft/Blackberry executives.

I agree with you, and BTW I didn't need a thesaurus, either. I think the real pretension is in trying to censor others' posts without regard to the ideas and subject matter of those posts.