Installer problems (10.2.4 install)

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I am usually at school, but it is my spring break so I am at home, and here we have an iMac DV SE (graphite 400 G3) running OS 10.2.3

I tried running software update on it, and I clicked check for updates, and the progress bar gets about 4/5ths to the right, then it says, "an unexpected error has occured"

So, I downloaded the 10.2.4 installer from Apple's site, and ran it. As soon as I typed in the admin password, Installer quits, and an error window shows up stating "Installer unexpectedly quit"

Any ideas? yes i know it is an old computer, but it shouldn't do this!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Correct your permissions.

Do this with Disk Utility found in /Applications/Utilities/.

• Reply 2 of 8
    spookyspooky Posts: 504member
    Don't bother

10.2.4 has ben the worst piece of cr*p ever from apple. If u must have it then be warned - you're in for a world of hurt

C'mon apple - sort this out
  • Reply 3 of 8
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    I don't have any problems with 10.2.4... but that's just me...
  • Reply 4 of 8
    gsfmarkgsfmark Posts: 210member
    [quote]Originally posted by Defiant:

<strong>Correct your permissions.

Do this with Disk Utility found in /Applications/Utilities/.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

yeah, i meant to mention... I thought this would fix it... but it didn't... but i am in a better mood now, cause my mom bought me the new Sigur-Ros cd. WHOO!
  • Reply 5 of 8
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    delete the 10.2.4 receipt in your base library folder and then run disk utility and FSCK

try software update again after all that
  • Reply 6 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by Paul:

<strong>delete the 10.2.4 receipt in your base library folder and then run disk utility and FSCK

try software update again after all that</strong><hr></blockquote>

sorry to braodcast my ignorance... but FSCK? huh?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by gsfmark:

<strong>

sorry to braodcast my ignorance... but FSCK? huh?</strong><hr></blockquote>

sigh... this is like the 4th time I have posted this... we really need a FAQ

(gsfmark, not directed at you, just venting a bit )

"fsck" checks (fixes) the file system (file system check)

you have to be in single user mode in order for this to work...

now this can get a little tricky...

restart your computer and hold down apple-s this will bring up a bunch of text... wait for this to load

then type:

[code] /sbin/fsck -y </pre><hr></blockquote>

(it will be a few lines up so you don't have to memorize it) and just like disk utility it will run through and check the filesystem, only it will be much more complete

after you run it if it says "File system was modified" type the command over again

if it says that the process was completed then type [code] reboot </pre><hr></blockquote>

and your mac should start up normally

i try and do this about once a week, but you can get away with doing it after every OS update and major software installation (and if you are having any trouble with your computer this should be the second step after repairing permissions with disk utility...)

hope it makes sense... you kinda just have to do it to see

you don't HAVE to do it... but you really should after every major installation
  • Reply 8 of 8
    thanks dude!