Long awaited 'Plants vs. Zombies 2: It's About Time' for iOS now available

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
PopCap Games on Thursday released "Plants vs. Zombies 2: It's About Time" for iOS, the follow up to the publisher's addicting bestseller first released for the Windows and OS X desktop operating systems in 2009.

Plants vs. Zombies 2

Plants vs. Zombies 2: It's About Time continues the frantic touch-based tower defense-style gameplay from 2010's iOS port, but adds in new characters, environments and, most for the first time, a "freemium" payment model.

While the original Plants vs. Zombies for iOS was, and still is, a for-pay game, the sequel is free to play. Instead of paying up front, users have the option to make in-app purchases for special plants and game currency.

While the first game was limited to a backyard setting, Plants vs. Zombies 2 moves through time in "Ancient Egypt," the "Pirate Seas," and the "Wild West." Each world has its own unique attacking enemies and game boards, while the selection of defending plants features some new characters.

Plants vs. Zombies 2 is a free 44.7MB download from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    It's about time.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    It's been out for weeks. Top story guys:) haha
  • Reply 3 of 19
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

I hate in-app purchases. Would rather buy the app out right. Oh well, sign of the times.  As much as I hate in-app purchases I hate free apps which get paid in Ads revenue even more. 

• Reply 4 of 19
    I've been anxiously awaiting this game.

But I'm a little concerned about the in-app purchases. Is this a way for them to get more out of me than normal?

If I buy all the in-app purchases in the game, how much in dollars would the game end up costing me?

• Reply 5 of 19
    appalive wrote: »
    It's been out for weeks. Top story guys:) haha

It's only been out in some countries. This is a worldwide release. Story is still valid but that should be made clearer
  • Reply 6 of 19
    gxcadgxcad Posts: 120member
    Unfortunately the in app purchase model ("freemium") games are proving to be much more lucrative, so in that sense I can't blame the app makers. I just hope they don't make the in app purchases too obtrusive or essential to gameplay. Its nice when the in app purchases are nice add ons that don't effect actual competitiveness, like maybe character costumes. Its annoying when those in app purchases are borderline essential to in game and/or competitive success vs other players.

I turn off in app purchases just to be safe on my iOS devices. If Apple doesn't keep it under control, I'll be a bit disappointed. But I guess 30% goes to Apple and their developers want to make more money so, I guess it is also tough for Apple to make a move without risking upsetting their developers. And they really don't want to do that.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Freemium? No thanks.

• Reply 8 of 19
    I agree. I would gladly pay full price for the app, but I won't be playing PvZ2 if it's free-to-play/freemium.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

I wasted way too much of my life on PvZ 1. A little weary of starting to play this one!

• Reply 10 of 19
    nikiloknikilok Posts: 383member
    Yeah I get the concern many are talkin bout in app purchase. Once u start the game can be quite addictive u spend those dollars every time saying "this is the last time". But that last time prolly comes after 10-20 purchases :)
  • Reply 11 of 19
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    gxcad wrote: »
    Unfortunately the in app purchase model ("freemium") games are proving to be much more lucrative, so in that sense I can't blame the app makers. I just hope they don't make the in app purchases too obtrusive or essential to gameplay. Its nice when the in app purchases are nice add ons that don't effect actual competitiveness, like maybe character costumes. Its annoying when those in app purchases are borderline essential to in game and/or competitive success vs other players.

I turn off in app purchases just to be safe on my iOS devices. If Apple doesn't keep it under control, I'll be a bit disappointed. But I guess 30% goes to Apple and their developers want to make more money so, I guess it is also tough for Apple to make a move without risking upsetting their developers. And they really don't want to do that.

I agree. Some apps are better than others. For example, Dragonvale allows you to get everything without spending a penny - although it can take a lot of effort to get the rarer items. Other games make it nearly essential to spend money - so I avoid those games.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Just say no to freemium games. I can accept "try before you buy" style, but all these in-app purchases to get special abilities, bonus content, etc is just crap.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    guytoronto wrote: »
    Just say no to freemium games. I can accept "try before you buy" style, but all these in-app purchases to get special abilities, bonus content, etc is just crap.

Why? Just because you have no willpower?
  • Reply 14 of 19
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iantimmy123 View Post

It's only been out in some countries. This is a worldwide release. Story is still valid but that should be made clearer

Wow! You mean it's been sitting unplayed on my iPad for over a fortnight when I could have been making peeps jealous?

• Reply 15 of 19
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Would you have willpower if a film let your watch the first hour an a half for free then threw up a paywall just when things got interesting?

When it comes down to behavioural addictions willpower doesn't really get a look in. Freemium games employ similar psychological techniques to what is used in poker machines. Just look at the number of App store reviews that consist of little more than "it's addictive" as though it's some kind of proxy for quality gameplay.  Imagine a poker machine that's always in your pocket, sends you notifications and is legally accessible by children. This is a horror scenario that will result in "gaming" getting a bad name and being regulated in a similar way that poker machines are.

I have no interest to contributing money to a gaming paradigm that exploits the user and divert developers from working on unique and interesting gameplay experiences. 

• Reply 16 of 19
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    I'd like an in-app purchase to turn off freemium mode. Yeah, that sounds silly, but I'd pay $5 to have it dole out the plants as I earn them by playing through levels in the game, like in PvZ 1. "Cheat" type purchases can still be in-app purchase and I can just not buy those.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

No, because freemium games tend to be a disappointment. They purposely start in a manner that gets you into the game in a big way and then very quickly get to a point where if you don't start coughing up the cash, the game becomes a drag to play, you don't advance and the game doesn't improve.

• Reply 18 of 19
    evilution wrote: »
    No, because freemium games tend to be a disappointment. They purposely start in a manner that gets you into the game in a big way and then very quickly get to a point where if you don't start coughing up the cash, the game becomes a drag to play, you don't advance and the game doesn't improve.

Then your problem is failure to research games before choosing one rather than lack of willpower. Just like games that you pay for up front, some freemium games are good and some are bad. Dissing the entire category because you chose some bad games doesn't make sense.

Try Dragonvale, for example.
    dunks wrote: »
    Would you have willpower if a film let your watch the first hour an a half for free then threw up a paywall just when things got interesting?

Sure. More importantly, I wouldn't be watching that movie.

There are reviews in the AppStore so you can know ahead of time whether the app is playable without spending money.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member

Quote:

Originally Posted by aappleinside-forum View Post

But I'm a little concerned about the in-app purchases. Is this a way for them to get more out of me than normal?

Well, Candy Crush Saga earns about $6 million per day in in-app purchases, so yeah, pretty much.