Structures getting demolished as Apple Campus 2 guts the remains of HP

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple is clearing a landing path for its new "spaceship" Campus 2 in Cupertino, Calif. The first work has begun, involving a salvage and destroy operation targeting sprawling structures on the former Hewlett Packard Pruneridge Campus.

Apple Campus 2

Apple acquired the campus from HP in 2010, which fortunately happened to be adjacent to other land the company had been secretly buying up, one parcel at a time, in order to assemble a contiguous lot large enough to support a second campus.

The acquired HP plot was so large that it allowed Apple to consolidate its Campus 2 plans north of the freeway; Apple owns land on both sides of the six lane 280 interstate highway.

Campus 2

The Campus 2 plot is also quite close to Apple's existing Infinite Loop headquarters, located about one mile west at the next freeway interchange.

1 Infinite Loop Apple HQ Flyover

While Apple occupies a series of other buildings on land adjacent to the HP Pruneridge complex, the nine large HP buildings do not appear to have ever been occupied by Apple employees. Among them are the N42-N45 buildings above (seen looking west from Tantau Avenue), which once served as HP's NonStop Advanced Technology Center.

Apple Campus 2

The technology has now stopped. Scrap piles of steel studs sit below the busted out windows they exited the building from as the interiors of the buildings are stripped of recyclables. The back west side of the same building (below) has an identical pile, indicating entire floors have been gutted.

Apple Campus 2

Most of the HP land is covered by sprawling parking lots, like this one (below) on the north side of the complex as viewed from Homestead Road.

Apple Campus 2

Heavier construction is occurring on the far west end of the HP lots (below), where trucks are digging up chunks of concrete.

Apple Campus 2

The Executive Briefing Center building, facing the south side of the complex along Pruneridge, has 2x4s sticking out its upper windows.

Apple Campus 2

Apple does occupy a series of existing buildings on surrounding land, including four buildings on Valco Parkway, eight along Tantau, and portions of a circle of five buildings just south of HP on Ridgeview Court. Some of the buildings remain vacant, including a shuttered former credit union on the corner of Tantau and Pruneridge.

spaceship campus

Nearly all of the buildings are slated for destruction, but the HP complex (targeted in the center of the ring of the new Apple Campus 2 "spaceship" building) will likely be the first to go.

"We plan to bulldoze all the buildings on the new site," Apple's chief executive Tim Cook said in February. The company will then "build one 2.8 million square foot building that will be the most collaborative work environment."

He added, "I project that we will move in in 2016."

Apple Campus 2

Other surrounding, currently occupied buildings will apparently continue to be used until a second stage of construction begins along Tantau.

Appetite for expansion

In 2006, Steve Jobs addressed the Cupertino city council, saying that Apple's employees were spread around "thirty other buildings now and they keep getting further and further away from the campus." He added, "We've rented every scrap of building we could find in Cupertino."

Jobs revealed at the time that Apple had quietly bought up nine separate nearby parcels of land to make up a new 50 acre campus, and intended to build a new complex capable of housing 3,000 to 3,500 employees.

In 2010, the company lucked out when HP decided to sell the Pruneridge Campus, providing Apple with a combined 148 acre plot capable of accommodating a huge new campus.

Toward the end of that year, Apple's head of Public Relations Steve Dowling said, "we now occupy 57 buildings in Cupertino and our campus is bursting at the seams. These offices will give us more space for our employees as we continue to grow."

Apple Campus

Earlier this year, Cook said the Campus 2 site currently has nearly 2.7 million square feet of office space spread around it, and that 80 percent of the land is covered by parking lots.

Apple plans to bulldoze the existing buildings and construct a primary, four-story circular building with roughly three times the size of its current main campus on Infinite Loop. After the project is finished, paved parking will cover only 20 percent of the land, thanks to underground parking and a separate parking structure.

Apple Campus

In addition, Cook said that the company has plans to expand its existing shuttle bus service to enable around 30 percent of the roughly 12,000 employees working at the new site to get to work without driving at all. This reduction in required parking will contribute toward Apple's plans to replace the existing vast areas of asphalt with trees and green open space, including orchards of apricots that pay homage to the original agricultural use of land.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46

Apple is clearing an landing?

Ok. Let me refer my grammar book. 

• Reply 2 of 46

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple is clearing an landing path for its new "spaceship" Campus 2 in Cupertino, Calif. The first work has begun, involving a salvage and destroy operation targeting sprawling structures on the former Hewlett Packard Pruneridge Campus.

An landing! 

• Reply 3 of 46
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Seriously, what do these guys use to write their articles? Notepad? These days you pretty much have to go out of your way to NOT see grammar and spelling mistakes.
  • Reply 4 of 46
    Quote: "Heavier construction is occurring on the far west end of the HP lots (below), where trucks are digging up chunks of concrete."

I thought trucks just hauled away debris dug up by other machines? :P
  • Reply 5 of 46

My favorite part of the article is in the title "... GUTS the remains of HP." 

• Reply 6 of 46

Yes, the first sentence is garbled nonsense.  And I'm also trying to figure out what this passage means:

Quote:

The technology has now stopped. Scrap piles of aluminum studs sit below the busted out windows they exited the building from as the interiors of the buildings are stripped of recyclables.

Technology stopped?  Huh?  Scrap piles... exited the building? What?

And the headline is perplexing, too:

Quote:

Structures getting demolished as Apple Campus 2 guts the remains of HP?

The Apple Campus 2 is not gutting anything, it doesn't even exist yet.

Edit: strikeout material was explained below, by a helpful and unfettered mind.  ;)

• Reply 7 of 46
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    All of a sudden all people can comment on is grammar. Guess you don't anything to contribute like the fact the number of Apple employees just keeps growing!
  • Reply 8 of 46
    It was really hard to read this article with all the broken English. I did try though, then I moved to other sites with the same story. And didn't have to wreck my brain to comprehend.
  • Reply 9 of 46
    tdknoxtdknox Posts: 82member
    See that little "notch" in the lower left corner of the new, second campus? That's where I live. It's kinda neat to watch all this going on.
  • Reply 10 of 46

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Yes, the first sentence is garbled nonsense.  And I'm also trying to figure out what this passage means:

Technology stopped?  Huh?  Scrap piles... exited the building? What?

The technology stopping appears to be referencing this sentence from above (and an attempt at humor):

Quote:

Among them are the N42-N45 buildings above (seen looking west from Tantau Avenue), which once served as HP's NonStop Advanced Technology Center.

• Reply 11 of 46
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    tdknox wrote: »
    See that little "notch" in the lower left corner of the new, second campus? That's where I live. It's kinda neat to watch all this going on.

What luck. Is there a webcam in your future?
  • Reply 12 of 46

The new building is not a space ship, it's a GIANT Mac Pro.

• Reply 13 of 46
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Aluminum studs? lol

• Reply 14 of 46
    When I go there, I'm gonna go to the caf & order a piece of warm Dutch apple crumb pie
    or a slab of fresh-baked apfelstrüdel [end piece] with a measure of ice cold milk!

And I'll tell ya this.
    Apple isn't building this Pentagon+-sized brand-spanking new SOTA HQ based solely alone on iPhone & iPad updates.
    Something H-U-G-E & game-/world-/life-changing is in the works & it ain't an Apple TV set ....
  • Reply 15 of 46
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    mstone wrote: »
    Aluminum studs? lol

Yes galvanized steel studs. Article was aimed at sharing pics with you all, but apparently it's just the typos in the filler text that anyone noticed.
  • Reply 16 of 46

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

The technology stopping appears to be referencing this sentence from above (and an attempt at humor):

Well thank you. I spent a while looking at the photo inserted between the "NonStop ATC" comment and the followup joke, and lost track of the flow. I guess you could say my mind was not as "unfettered" as yours.  ;)   It's actually a pretty good pun, now that you've explained it.  I retract my complaint. 

ps to "Corrections": Actually, I did enjoy the photos. Very noticeable.

• Reply 17 of 46
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

Maybe I can't remember from past articles, but...Does anyone know if this "Campus 2" will be a replacement for the original campus or just a 2nd Campus?

• Reply 18 of 46

Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

All of a sudden all people can comment on is grammar.

Well, it IS supposed to be journalism.

Guess you don't anything to contribute like the fact the number of Apple employees just keeps growing!

But… that can't be! Apple is doomed, as we all know, so they can't possibly be giving people JOBS.

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

Maybe I can't remember from past articles, but...Does anyone know if this "Campus 2" will be a replacement for the original campus or just a 2nd Campus?

They can't afford to get rid of Infinite Loop. They'll be nearly filling both campuses once the new one is built; they're building it just so they don't have to keep renting dozens of buildings around the city.

• Reply 19 of 46
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Aluminum studs? lol

Yes galvanized steel studs. Article was aimed at sharing pics with you all, but apparently it's just the typos in the filler text that anyone noticed.

Sorry, with an equivalent to a Ph.D in Construction Technology and I get a bit fussy about terminology sometimes. Thanks for the photos.

• Reply 20 of 46

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Well thank you. I spent a while looking at the photo inserted between the "NonStop ATC" comment and the followup joke, and lost track of the flow. I guess you could say my mind was not as "unfettered" as yours.  ;)   It's actually a pretty good pun, now that you've explained it.  I retract my complaint. 

ps to "Corrections": Actually, I did enjoy the photos. Very noticeable.

My mind isn't as unfettered as I'd like (but it's a good book) :)

I like the photos as well, thank you Kasper's Automated Slave! I wonder if they'll be trying to save the existing trees? It would be a good bit of effort, but some of them look quite sizable and "old." Always nice to save living things if possible.