Google's new Nexus 7 gets stellar reviews despite faults, jitters, lagging apps

Comments

• Reply 141 of 190
    snova wrote: »
    You may want to go back and read the same kind of reviews of the original N7 and then
    compare it to the recent poll of 2012 N7 "List of Known Faults" from the xda-developer Android forums.

Here are the known problems after a year. 

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1801464

It appear these problems took a while to develop because NONE of these problems were raised in ANY reviews in 2012.  Had these problems show up early on, how many would have recommended the original N7 and given it its high rating back in 2012? 

They include:
    Screen Lift/Seperation
    Headphone Socket Not Working
    Wi-Fi Dropping
    Battery/Power Drain (too fast)
    Defective OEM Charger
    Battery Will Not charge
    Dead Pixels
    Light Bleed
    USB Connector Broken Out Of The Box
    Touchscreen Not Functioning
    Crackling Speaker
    Screen Tearing

Not sure why Flash slow down was not noted.

here are some reviews of the 2012 Model.  I have noted the claims of high quality and boastful recommendations!

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/28/nexus-7-review/  
    Headline: "Nexus 7 review: the best $200 tablet you can buy".  

"<span style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Georgia, serif;font-size:16px;line-height:24px;">The latest challenger to enter the competition is ASUS, partnering with Google to create the first Nexus tablet, a device that not only will amaze with its MSRP, but with its quality."</span>

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/29/3125396/google-nexus-7-review 
    "<span style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:14px;line-height:23px;">Google’s Nexus 7 isn’t just an excellent tablet for $200. It’s an excellent tablet, period. In fact, it’s the first Android tablet that I can confidently recommend to buyers — and not just because it’s got a low price tag (though that certainly helps). It’s a well-designed, powerful, and useful product, with lots of bells and whistles that makes it feel like a device that should be more expensive than it is....</span>
    <span style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:14px;line-height:23px;">Believe it or not, the last time I was surprised by a product with those same qualities, it was called the iPad. </span>

<span style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:14px;line-height:23px;">"</span>

Verge rating 8.8/User rating 9.1

For N7 2013, so far the list is much smaller. Then again its only been a few weeks.
     You can review the same web site but in the N7 2013 section for the problems. I have collected most of the popular discussions here:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2409
    GPS quits working - Acknowledged by Google
    Multi-touch not working correctly when no path to ground - Acknowledged by Google
    Random Reboots
    Chrome Crashes Often
    Notification LED not working

2 steps forward, 1 step back? We shall see. However, why anyone would buy another N7 (2013) after having an N7(2013) is beyond me.  Its like continuing to buy a  car brand knowing full well it had more problems an other makes. These reviewers should already be aware that Asus and LG does not exactly make high quality tablets and smart phones. There should be no excuse to blindly recommend people on product made by these manufacturers simply because there is a Google branding on the box.
    If you insist on Android, there are better options. Its not hard to figure out which ones are better than others in terms of quality. Just review that xda-developer forum for thread with large number of posts of problems reported for the make and model of interest.

Anyone claiming that the new 2013 N7 is a quality product and recommending it to others, would be well advised to give it more time before passing on recommendations for purchase given the poor track record of the 2012 model also built by Asus. Same goes for Nexus 4 built by LG.  

This just goes to prove that what looks flawless when it is new, can to look very different after a few months. I believe the technical characteristic which describes this is called "HW integrity and reliability". Anyone who would recommend something after only a few weeks of use, fully knowing the past models from this manufacturer commonly have issues is not doing themselves or others any favors.  Keeping this in mind, it is interesting to read a bunch of posts in that forum from people coming for help with issues and saying they bought a used 2012 N7 from their "buddy" who upgraded to a different model. With friends like that, who needs enemies?
    Go to any xda thread and device thread and they'll have similar threads identifying problems with devices. Every device has issues. iPhones have issues, iPads have issues.

The question that I ask is, why is iPhone "higher quality" when they buy their components from the same manufacturers that Android phones and tablets use.

You guys remind me of a book I read, "The Psychology of Business" where they talk about a person that had a tourist stand in the Bahamas and she was selling "precious" stones (they were really just rocks she got from a beach) for $1 but nobody would buy them. Then she brought the price down but still no one bought them.

She was going to close down so she had a sale and was going to sell them for $.10 but she forgot to put the period and it read $10 dollars. She sold out of the rocks at $10. She found out that tourists traveling from rich countries felt the rocks were too cheap.

That's what you guys remind me of, brainwashed first world consumers buying "premium" rocks. :lol:
  • Reply 142 of 190
    searssears Posts: 9member

Quote:

Originally Posted by architecton View Post

To all those CrapAndroid fans:

GTFO already!!!! I might understand someone recommending me Windows RT as it is really different that iOS and it could at some point in the distant future evolve into some sort of lower end competitor. Android on the other hand is complete and outer BS. It is not just the substandard quality of the OS but Google's criminal ethics. Anyone who recommends Android is either a RETARD, an Apple hating Psychopath or simply paid by Google!!!

You say android sucks but you have no evidence to support this argument. Use the N7 for an hour and then tell me why it sucks. 

• Reply 143 of 190

Quote:

Originally Posted by snova View Post

If you are trying to be viewed as reasonably open minded person for who's opinion should be considered equally,  these comments just undid any progress you think you made towards your goals. 

I know, that last comment was immature and uncalled for, but my first name IS Sears.

• Reply 144 of 190
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

oh come on. this is tedious. for a smartphone one hand use means both hold and operate some of the display UI with literally one hand, like to call or text - it's a phone first and foremost after all. you could have your other hand in your pocket. holding a tablet in your left hand while using your right (or vice versa) to manipulate the tablet touchscreen is obviously "two handed" use. that needs explaining for you?

of course a key advantage of all smaller tablets is their lighter weight compared to the full size. much easier to hold without other support for extended periods of time. that's needs explaining for you?

i suppose the N7 is easier to hold than the mini in portrait mode, since its narrower. but using it in portrait mode pretty much sucks, so good luck with that.

My apologies for employing the term "one-handed use" imprecisely. Of course no one would consider trying to hold and manipulate a 7 inch tablet with the same hand. But I would argue that the ability to grasp the device comfortably in one hand is one of the most important qualities of a compact tablet. Consider how Phil Schiller introduced the iPad mini:

Quote:

(Source: This video starts at the relevant quote.)

But what can you do with an iPad mini that you can't already do with the amazing 4th generation iPad? Well this, you can hold it in one hand [shows slide of someone palming an iPad mini].

• Reply 145 of 190
    solomansoloman Posts: 228member
    sears wrote: »
    I know, that last comment was immature and uncalled for, but my first name IS Sears.

Is your last name Roebuck? :lol:
  • Reply 146 of 190

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soloman View Post

Is your last name Roebuck? image

I hear that joke too often... 

• Reply 147 of 190
    Except the usable screen size.
    I'm using an iPad mini right now, and it's quite a usable size. This is coming from someone who's had every iPad since the original, minus the 4th gen. The same can't be said for my POS Samesung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0. That thing blows big time.
  • Reply 148 of 190
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedGeminiPA View Post

I'm using an iPad mini right now, and it's quite a usable size. This is coming from someone who's had every iPad since the original, minus the 4th gen. 

I would agree.  I have an iPad mini as well as iPad 4.  The iPad mini is quite useable.  Similarly an iPhone is quite useable.  However, if have all three sitting available at the table and I want to go browse the web,  I find myself grabbing the iPad 4 every time due to it's large screen. If I want to send an iMessage, I'll pick up the iPhone. My daughter prefers the the iPad mini due to her smaller hands.

Tall Skill has a point. While the iPad mini is quite usable, from a tablet experience point of view the bigger iPad provides a better experience for most adults.  Its the Cadillac. This is why I bought two more iPad 4's as gifts last year for my parents and planning to get an iPad 5 for my wife come this fall.

• Reply 149 of 190

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Please try again, this time without lying.

You have a penchant for accusing people of lying.

You accused me of the same in another thread - yet when I provided detailed facts which substantiated my claims, I didn't see you either refuting them or apologising for calling me a liar.

People don't like their integrity being questioned. If you're going to mount this kind of unnecessary personal attack, then make sure your claims are watertight - or at least have the good grace to acknowledge if they prove not to be.

• Reply 150 of 190

Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

People don't like their integrity being questioned.

Maybe they shouldn't lie, then! imageimage

• Reply 151 of 190

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

The Tablet S was Sony's first dabble with android and was plagued with problems. Your experiences with this product should in no way be used as a generalization of other high end android tablets. I have owned an, Asus Transformer TF101, Transformer Infinity, Motorola Xoom, Xoom II (still my favorite android tablet), Samsung Tab 7.7 and now a Nexus 7 (2013), none of them ever or have yet to have any hardware problems. I'm sure your happy now with your iPad so all of this is just a moot point isn't it.

I also recall you state you own a Samsung Note as well.  Its very interesting to me that you have owned so many different tablets from different manufacturer's.

I spend a lot of time researching a product before I buy it.  I stick to a brand if I am happy with the purchase over time and it proves reliable and well supported. I switch brands if I was not satisfied with the purchase for various reasons and I tend to black list a brand if I have issues.  Its a lot like buying cars for me.   If I had a good experience, I'll stick with the brand and buy from them again. This is loyalty that is earned. If it was not so great, I'll buy from someone else next time and not recommend it to anyone that asks.

You state above that you have not had issues with any of the makes and models you list above. What has caused you to switch brands and models so much?  This buying behavior does not make sense to me.

• Reply 152 of 190
    fazzterfazzter Posts: 120member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mehdi View Post

I agree this is a very biased article. I happen to have 2 iPad (2nd and 4th gen) and a Nexus 7 2nd generation. I like the form factor and the beautiful screen on the Nexus, just as much as I like the screen on my 4th gen iPad. I agree with this article's lack of maturity on many of the Android apps, but I have not experienced any of the issues mentioned here. The lack of maturity (junk apps) is present on many of the IOS apps as well... one just needs to choose wisely.

I would've purchased an iPad Mini if it had decent screen, but that was not the case. So, it's not surprising that I find myself using the Nexus tablet more and more... the form factor just lends itself better... easier to carry, hold, etc.

As the hardware from these other vendors gets more mature and capable, Android is getting better too. I'm glad that Apple is seeing this as shot across its bow and is doing something about it. Competition is healthy and the consumer is ultimately the winner.

Being a fan-boy for sake of defending a company or brand is not cool. Give credit where credit is due.

Agreed. I just bought my wife one for her birthday and so far it is working as advertised. She is just mainly using it for media consumption...but there are plenty of other app types available also.  If the retina mini would have been out I would have probably gone with one, but Apple was too late with it. I will still probably pick one up for myself at a later date (iPad mini retina that is) so I can directly compare the two at that time. Hopefully the new mini is all that it's hyped up to be.

• Reply 153 of 190
    Why am I not surprised ? Apple Insider bashes Nexus 7 tablet right on scheduled to potentially hurt sales ? I smell agenda. Let's speak the truth. The truth is the Nexus 7 is the best 7" tablet on the market right now at an incredible price point. When the iPad Mini comes out, it might be a different story. But for now, it is fact. Will some people have issues...Yes. Is 99% of the Nexus 7 tablets working fine...Yes! End of story. Carry on to the next agenda, anti-Google bashing...
  • Reply 154 of 190

Quote:

Originally Posted by sears View Post

You say android sucks but you have no evidence to support this argument. Use the N7 for an hour and then tell me why it sucks. 

I've used Crapdroid long enough to know that it's a complete and outer POS. There is not a single meaningful feature in that system that would put it ahead of iOS. NOT ONE!

• Reply 155 of 190

Quote:

Originally Posted by richardfl View Post

Yes. Is 99% of the Nexus 7 tablets working fine..

Since Google was quick to acknowledged both the GPS and multi-touch problem, I would not be so confident that 99% of new Nexus 7 tablets working fine.

• Reply 156 of 190

Quote:

I've used Crapdroid long enough to know that it's a complete and outer POS. There is not a single meaningful feature in that system that would put it ahead of iOS. NOT ONE!

most consumers tend to be loyal and opinionated bunch based on experience. They stick to brands that are reliable and give them a pleasant experience.  Just as equality, consumers tend to mentally black list products and brands based on poor experiences and not give them a second chance; let alone a third, forth or fifth chance.  This is why it is so important to not release products before they are ready.   Most of the time you only get one shot at it with consumers.

I think most reasonable consumer can relate this to the saying "Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me". Right?

or my personal favorite words of wisdom from an elder:

"Son, while you are best advised to save your money where you can, don't go cheap on buying shoes that you intend to wear every day. You will either be in constant pain, or they will just end up in the back of the closet taking up valuable space"

• Reply 157 of 190

Quote:

Ok, I'll list a few features Android has that iOS doesn't (without jailbreak/root):

• One can add widgets to the homescreen and lockscreen. A popular type is a weather widget.

• One can download apps not on the play store

• One can view the file system of their device

• One can download a launcher that allows them to customize animations, app icons, and app names on the homescreen

• One can see what apps are draining the battery and using up RAM

• The ability to set default apps. I see a lot of iOS users using chrome, but when you click on a link in another app, it opens in Safari. 

I think iOS's only big feature over Android is it's much larger selection of apps.

• Reply 158 of 190

Quote:

Originally Posted by snova View Post

Since Google was quick to acknowledged both the GPS and multi-touch problem, I would not be so confident that 99% of new Nexus 7 tablets working fine.

My new N7 has no problems.

• Reply 159 of 190

Quote:

good for you.  If most were like your, it would stand to reason there would be no need for Google to acknowledge the GPS and multitouch problems so quickly after release and not something that can be likely fixed in SW since you say you don't see the issues.

Right?  So do you think what Google has already publicly acknowledged is a reproducible HW problem, SW problem, poor quality control problem or simply a non-existant problem?   

• Reply 160 of 190

Quote:

my brother-in-law's Ford Aerostar did not have any problems when it was "new" either. This didn't prevent it from being a lemon.  If he would have recommended it to all his friends when it was "new", then it would stand to reason that he would have lost a lot of respect and credibility.  Fact of the mater is he never bought another Ford after that incidence and because he was not quick to pass judgement on a new product and go around recommending it, he did not look like a fool to all his friends.   Looking at the list 2012 N7 problem list, it would appear that model ended up being a lemon.  Even the 2013 N7 reviews refer back to the 2012 N7 quality issues. This leads me to believe it was significant.  If I bought a 2012 N7 and had some of those significant problems listed, I would avoid buying Google tablets like the plague. 

Please try to understand, that many people here have tried other products. They are not blind. Once you have had a bad experience, things get blacklisted. Once you have consistently had positive experiences, they tend of stay loyal to the brand.  When you appreciate one product, comparing it to other things make it pale in comparison. Its like have a Margarita from the place you think has the best.. Everything time you go try a Margarita at a different place, it pales in comparison. You are better off trying something completely different than trying to compare it something you already associate with perfection.

Trying to convince someone  they need widgets, battery and RAM hog meters, third party app store, animated lock screens, filesystem browser, for some who has never needed them before in an Apple environment in exchange for giving up something that they know they need everyday (like Airplay, already purchased iTunes content, etc.) and knowing they have something that just works reliability, is  just not a compelling argument.  They just look at you like you are from a different planet?  why do I need any of these things you list? and why would I give up something that I like and already use without problems everyday? It sounds like reckless move.

Does this make sense to you and why you are wasting your time trying to promote Android products to a loyal Apple community? People just don't just wake up one day and become loyal to Apple. It is earned through experiences and sets their tastes, needs and expectations.