Canalys: Android lacks the 'rigorously managed, high-quality, optimized' apps seen on Apple's iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 83
    solomansoloman Posts: 228member
    In other news a research group discovered that water is wet. Here's an idea, how about finding something we don't already know.
  • Reply 22 of 83
    solomansoloman Posts: 228member
    Easy to do when all the apps are just made for the phone and plopped down everywhere else.

Note: iOS apps have done this since the very VERY beginning.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't they have to be updated first to include the iPad's resolution?
  • Reply 23 of 83

More red meat for the faithful. Another pointless smug article about the competition. Get Dilger to write some actual Apple content.

• Reply 24 of 83
    At least Android has Google Drive accessible to all apps that want it. The only way to share documents between apps via a common storage location on iOS is to use Google Drive or Drop Box third party SDKs. Apple has no way to do this. It is a huge miss and one I expect will hurt the platform over the next year.
  • Reply 25 of 83

Originally Posted by Soloman View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't they have to be updated first to include the iPad's resolution?

Right, but the ability to do the updating has been available since the first iOS (iPhone OS, really) version that supported multiple screen sizes. He's claiming otherwise.

• Reply 26 of 83

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

The top 100 Android apps weren't shown were they? Not saying here is or isn't an "Android-equivalent" app for either of those. There may be, but as I'm no musician I couldn't personally comment on a music production app anyway. As for Pages I suspect there are very comparable apps available on the Android platform.

EDIT: This one gets favorably compared to Garage Band. That was in a quick search so I don't know if there's a better match.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.uloops.android&hl=en

Did you read the comments for that App? Most of the people who gave it good reviews clearly have no knowledge about mixing music and give generic sounding reviews.The few critical reviews are obviously written by someone who understands music production as they give specific reasons as to why they don't like it. You know, as if they actually used the App and were aware of its faults.

But the best one....

- "Better then Garage band I have been using this app for a year now and I recently bought an iphone. Ive used Garageband but I genuinely believe Pocketband is fifty times better all around. Get full version!"

Biggest lie ever. This App is complete garbage when compared to Garageband. As many reviewers commented you can't even actually make a song because of the gaps between your loops. You might not understand music but surely you should see how much of a glaring issue this is. Imagine editing video and there was a very short black screen between each of the scenes.

Android will NEVER have any good audio Apps until they get rid of audio latency, add support for more than 2 channels of audio and add MIDI support. These require a change to the OS at the most basic level and is something you can't just "add on" like an App.

Since many people don't understand audio latency and why it's so important I'll try to explain it to you as simply as I can using a drawing program as an example.

The blue line is low latency. The update speed of the cursor is very fast and every time you move the cursor the next data point is captured and drawn immediately, in real time. The red line shows latency. When you move the cursor there's a slight delay when the program gets the next data point, and it misses all the ones in between. So it lays down a point and simply CONNECTS a line between the previously known cursor position and the current cursor position. The only way to make the red line as smooth as the blue one is to move the cursor very slowly which allows the program to collect all the data points in between.

How to relate this to audio? Let's say you're adjusting the midrange EQ level for a track with a standard rotary knob. With low latency as soon as you make an adjustment (turn the knob) you can hear the result in real-time. This makes it very quick and easy to fine-tune the audio. With high latency there's a very short pause before you hear the result. If you turn the knob too quickly by the time you hear the result you might have already gone too far. The solution is the same as the drawing program - turn the knob very slowly to allow the program to update the audio stream with your new "position".

Now I'm sure someone is going to chime in and say "well, when you're fine-tuning your sound you're going to be turning the knob slowly anyway, so what's the problem?" This shows someone who's never worked a console before. What most people will do when listening to an effect is to make rapid changes to a control knob (turn it all the way left then right) to listen to the full range of effect and how severe it is. Then they will start to narrow it down and do the fine tuning. By having low latency you can make your rapid changes to get a "feel" for the control very quickly before moving on to finer adjustments.

This is just one single example. Latency is the bane of any audio system and when digital mixing consoles first came out that was one of the biggest problems that engineers had to overcome to make consoles "feel" the same as analog consoles (where controls responded to your touch immediately or when monitor feeds sent to performers were in real time without any delay).

• Reply 27 of 83
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Thanks for the detailed (and polite!) reply. There may be a latency issue with Android audio (or whatever the problem is). You're much more informed on audio issues than I am. I really appreciate your attempt to explain it tho and no doubt there will be others here that will benefit from it too.
  • Reply 28 of 83
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    It's always been known, from the very beginning, when Apple introduced the user-centric App Store model, built for and around their own devices, that Apple apps in quality far outclassed the competition's offerings. This hasn't changed. Because Android is an advertising delivery vector, rather than an ecosystem built with the user in mind.
  • Reply 29 of 83
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    :p
    nagromme wrote: »

I can defend Apple better than I can defend DED... he does some awesome research and legwork, lays the details out neatly and thoroughly, and makes excellent points. I think him for that contribution. But far too often, he also hurts his own case (and makes us all look bad) by stretching too far, assuming too much, or going for the laugh when the facts are more nuanced. He's not always a fanboy, but the needle swings too far that way, too often, and his credibility would be so much better without those lapses.

A "best of DED" compilation is devastating to the mindless parroting of anti-Apple nonsense. A "worst of" is, sadly, nonsense of its own! (This article isn't really at either extreme.)

That said, much of the obviously false anti-Apple nonsense that gets repeated around the web and even mainstream media is on a whole other level! DED can be proud not to stoop to that level... I just wish he wouldn't stoop at all.

Nagromme, I understand and truly sympathize with your sense of fairness. I suffer :) that gene, as well. However, I've become disillusioned with the lack of objectivity in reporting on Apple, possibly done by the unscrupulous to gain more site visits. There must be money in this and money, for some, trumps integrity.

So I have stepped over my old line of 'argument for the sake of truth, justice and objectivity'. I have also come to the point that I will not act as devil's advocate, but stick to my principles of justice and truth as this situation warrants, in my understanding.

I see Samsung and Google as devious players. I know that even the devious can love small children and cuddly animals; Hitler was said to be found with a tear in his eye in their presence. But the underlying facts seem to me that these companies will (personification apt, I believe) stoop to devious means. I find it stunning that Samsung, for example, continues to use that ignorant phrase of rounded corners etc. And ignorant, not misunderstanding is the fact.

Yes, Mr Dilger steps up and puts a toe over the line. So do I and others, often for literary affect- hyperbolae, humour, damned frustration are a few possibilities. But for those who read the DED regularly, should understand this. He is, to my understanding a man with good sense and some temper; emotional in the fight when 'charge to action' means the difference between getting the point understood, while leaving the wiggle arguments to those who think fair is going to win the war. All great leaders, at some point in action, step over the line to save the day.

I'm just thankful that we have a few good men like this man on our side. I've seen sites, good Apple sites, lose honest Apple viewers, to the destruction of good argument, when taken over by Haters whose sole objective is the undermining of any arguments that support Apple's position. The MacObserver, for example, had a particularly nasty troll who was clever, informed and devious enough that he had the editors acquiescing on minor points as he nitpicked the site to harm such that the editors supported him when he was 'attacked', even questioned by less abled site members. In my opinion, when heart is lost, a grave injustice is done. That is when I had my turnaround. That is why I support the DED to the good, the honourable fight. He may approach the line and let a toe venture to the other side, but so what!. He is right and those who spiel lies and deception for their tired tirades trust the fire be returned.

Nag, I always enjoy your and many other members posts on AI that are more fair than mine. As a struggling man who cares for all sentient beings, I sense Daniel has the same heart and struggles with the verbosity and hyperbole you and others rightly question. But in war, a great leader does what s/he has to do. And well it is expected that the honest player also holds the leader to the standards expected from those that lead.
  • Reply 30 of 83
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

I think a fair and easy comparison is how many top 100 apps are optimized for 'both' smartphone and tablet on each platform.  Dow any one know the numbers?

• Reply 31 of 83
    The real question for Apple over the long term is will this lead in app quality continue or just drop off once Android products become ubiquitous? I am not sure, but I suspect that the same drive for the lowest possible price is forcing Android tablets in particular to be much weaker substitutes for general purpose computing. I am currently getting a new computer system for my restaurant POS that is based upon the iPad. Breadcrum POS is owned by Groupon and it comes PCI Compliant out of the box. I would definitely be much more hesitant to use an android solution here. There are business quality apps on android, but the question is do these work well enough? My Lowes supplied installer who put in our screen door said yes that it works, but he sure didn't sound enthusiastic about how it works. Apple's real supporting structure under everything is a real world class OS under the hood that runs everything. This is why the Apps are more secure, easier to write and much easier to keep free of creeping rot.

The reason I am switching from my current POS is it is full of creehping rot from it's original incarnation as a Windows 95 application. Apple has turned the greatest strength of Wintel and even open source against themselves. Creeping rot does not go away if backwards compatibility of software and hardware is supported. Apple has used a strong Unix base and a willingness to drop support for hardware over 6 years old to kill the rot. This greatly reduces the total cost of ownership which shows up in Brand strength over the long haul. I think this is the answer that makes the most sense, not that Apple is some kind of Cult or religion. YVMV
  • Reply 32 of 83

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frood View Post

Really surprised Apple hasn't offered its users widgets yet.  Once you get used to them they do all the work for you.  Apple could make them a little less chaotic then Android widgets and kind of define what users could and couldn't do with them (including the option not to use them).

The tablet argument is kind of a rewind of the phone argument two years ago.  These forums were littered with 'there's no phone Apps for android'   The phones sold, developers followed (with lag).  Now there are substantially more Android phone apps than iPhone Apps.  I think the 'store' numbers claim @800,000 android apps and 800,000 iPhone apps, but counts the 300,000+ tablet only apps in that number.  Android tablets have just started selling, developers will follow, but again with some lag.  In another two years there will likely be more (good) dedicated Android tablet apps than iPad apps.  Apple will still be alive and doing well and provide a more elegant experience than the Android ecosystem.

I have yet to find someone give me an example of any Widget that would be useful. People always say "they're the greatest thing ever". So please give me a few examples of something a widget can do to increase my productivity or provide me with information.

Developers will follow? Eric Schmidt predicted that by June 2012 developers would favor Android over iOS because of market share. He's now over a year late and it still hasn't happened. Developers don't care about low-end junk phones nor do they care about $49 tablets in your grocery store or on the Shopping Channel. Remove those from Android and suddenly it's iOS that's the dominant platform. Add in the fragmentation problem for Android and the rapid adoption of iOS users to the latest version and is it any wonder why devs still prefer iOS?

• Reply 33 of 83

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

There's a change in the winds on Apple reporting and in Apple stock of late and I firmly believe much of this has to do with the strong efforts of Mr Dilger. His analyses are being quoted on many sites, even the negative sites are taking note, and his work is bringing some great responses here on AI to which even the naysayers are finding difficulty in finding fault.

New things are on the horizon and with the DED leading the charge, let the games begin.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA... oh you're serious?  Half the readers on this site see through the DED fog and nobody outside of this website takes him seriously at all.  He editorializes and sensationalizes.  Anyone looking for genuinely useful analysis looks elsewhere, often to the analysts who take so much heat around here.

• Reply 34 of 83
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    I agree that the quality of android apps is poor. I use the iWork apps regularly for creating and editing documents. I bought a Samsung tab2 7.0 because I wanted to try android. The Tab2 came with Polaris Office and I bought Quick Office Pro HD (google owned) and Kingsoft Office (free). None of these compare favourably to the iWork apps. Whilst they all open documents ok they are lacking when it comes to creating documents. Polaris doesn't have a spell checker, Quick Office can't create charts in spreadsheets an none have transitions in presentations. Plus the lack of screen real estate makes them virtually unusable with a soft keyboard. All in all office apps on android are a huge disappointment. I can actually create documents more easily using iWork in my iPhone 3GS.
  • Reply 35 of 83

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

I have yet to find someone give me an example of any Widget that would be useful. People always say "they're the greatest thing ever". So please give me a few examples of something a widget can do to increase my productivity or provide me with information.

How about the calendar widget on my homescreen?  It shows me an agenda as a scrollable list for the next week.  This can be found within the calendar app itself, of course, but I like to keep my calendar in single-day view, which means that, after one tap to enter the app, I have to tap on the view drop-down menu and tap on agenda view.  Then when I'm done I have to tap on the view drop-down and go back to single-day mode.  Plus I when I tap on an event in the widget, it launches the summary for that event instead of just launching the calendar or even the agenda view.

Or how about the widget that lets me turn on and off various radios and adjust brightness?  That was an incredible time saver before quick controls were built into Android.  Before the quick controls, I would have had to go into settings, tap into whatever setting category I needed, and then change the setting.

Then there is the current weather and a three-day forecast widget courtesy of WeatherBug.  It saves me a tap or two to launch the app and check the weather.

And then there's the widget on my lockscreen that activates the flashlight.  Illumination is a swipe and a tap away, and I don't even have to unlock my phone.  Plus if I have the light on for longer than the standard screen time-out, the phone turns off the screen as soon as I turn off the flashlight.  It's really convenient.  This one will be duplicated by the control panel on iOS.

I almost forgot the static search bar on stock Android.  I'm only one tap away from searching my device and the web.  Apple is also duplicating this one with the swipe down functionality coming with the redesign.

None of these widgets are life-changing, but their presence makes information and actions that much more accessible.

• Reply 36 of 83
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member

And yet, three and a half years later, even as Strategy Analytics reports that Android tablets now ship in volumes over twice as large (and due to its <a href="http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/07/31/strategy-analytics-finds-millions-of-android-tablets-rewrites-ipad-history">retroactive accounting revisions</a>, that Android has been leading the tablet market since at least the spring of 2012), Android's tablet apps are still "still squarely in the iPad's rearview mirror."

Yup. You cannot see in a rearview mirror what is sitting at the back of a sock drawer.
  • Reply 37 of 83
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    The top 100 Android apps weren't shown were they? Not saying here is or isn't an "Android-equivalent" app for either of those. There may be, but as I'm no musician I couldn't personally comment on a music production app anyway. As for Pages I suspect there are very comparable apps available on the Android platform.

EDIT: This one gets favorably compared to Garage Band. That was in a quick search so I don't know if there's a better match.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.uloops.android&hl=en

ROTFLMAO. You've already been corrected once about audio apps.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/android-tablet-apps/31608-best-aps-creating-music.html
    "There's no comparison here. Garageband is a full fledged recording tool and PocketBand is little more than a clip tracker. I'm frustrated that no one has gotten a Garageband-like app out yet on Android,"
    "Android doesn't need apps. Android has "customization."

Good one. I always wonder why people think that 'customization' makes up for a system that's grossly inferior in almost every way.
    "The story is a bit biased in that regard though. A fair comparison would be a comparison between the native Google Apps and native Apple Apps. In the instance where Google doesn't offer an app then the comparison should be against the top selling app on Google although I am not sure what is offered on Android that compares to GarageBand though.

That doesn't make much sense. The comparison is about the entire ecosystem - and the analysis shows why iOS is better.
    Android apps will all self adapt for phone, tablet and Android laptops. So why don't Ipad apps do the same?

They do. You might want to make an effort to learn something about iOS before you criticize it.
  • Reply 38 of 83
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Canalys: Android lacks the 'rigorously managed, high-quality, optimized' apps seen on Apple's iPad

In other news: The Earth is Still Orbiting the Sun

• Reply 39 of 83

iOS has not done phone-on-tablet as well since the beginning and still doesn't. I'm a Mac person but Android has iOS by the short hairs here. On my Android tablet (I own one of each system) a "phone app" will open full screen, behave properly, change horizons when I turn my tablet and is crisper than any iOS App that has been "2x"d. Fonts all work and look beautiful... it's a much better experience. And often I don't know a "phone app" is even a phone app unless I've looked specifically for that info. Some developers do design better than others but overall... seriously, Android's implementation is much better on this aspect. 

• Reply 40 of 83
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

I think a fair and easy comparison is how many top 100 apps are optimized for 'both' smartphone and tablet on each platform.  Dow any one know the numbers?

iPad apps are always "optimized" for iPad.

Universal iPhone + iPad apps are always "optimized" for iPhone and for iPad.

Because Xcode provides two separate GUIs (called "storyboards") for each paradigm.

The only non-optimized apps you'll see on iPad are non-universal iPhone-only apps.