Final iOS 7 beta rumored to arrive next week, GM build to select partners Sept. 5

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    If you guys think that the icons look better in iOS 7 than iOS 6 then you need your eyes checked.

Functionality? Control panel is the only real new thing,

Techmanmike, it's the basic icon that we don't like and the Windows Phone icons aren't even icons.
    The ability to change icons and color scheme would be a welcome surprise for us visual impaired people.

Xx
  • Reply 22 of 66

Originally Posted by AppAlive View Post

If you guys think that the icons look better in iOS 7 than iOS 6 then you need your eyes checked.

Great job with those opinions there. And you wonder why people are disagreeing with you.

Uh… huh. Look, have you used the software?

The ability to change icons and color scheme would be a welcome surprise for us visual impaired people.

You should probably hit up Settings/General/Accessibility.

• Reply 23 of 66
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    I've got no complaints about the UI, really. Been running the beta exclusively since it first dropped.
  • Reply 24 of 66
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Quote:

Originally Posted by alex101 View Post

Anyone else on a iP4 and experiencing a sluggish performance of iOS 7 beta 5? While the last beta brought a huge improvement, it still lags here and there. Or should I just wipe the iP4 clean once the final is out and start from scratch? Haven't ever done it, I usually went from iOS 4 -> iOS 5 -> iOS 6 -> iOS 7 beta with just an upgrade.

You mean like my 3GS on iOS6 ??  I just learned to live with it...

• Reply 25 of 66
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Going back to iOS 6 now would feel like trading in OS X Mav's UI for Windowinds theme from 2001. Seriously.
  • Reply 26 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by bslaght View Post

I have many issues still with beta 5 on my iP4

1. Many weird graphical lock ups - mostly on the springboard, and not in apps as much

2. Ringer volume buttons don't always seems to respond

3. auto-brightness level still gets locked in way down (almost black)...usually after a re-spring

4. I still find it is "laggy"..I realize I am on iP4, but I really hope this isn't a repeat of iOS4 on 3G phones

5. iTunes Match and Music app is crazy..takes forever to "buffer" songs before they start or even switching between songs

6. weird bug when "remember last playback position" is enabled.  Playback scrubber stays in "saved" position, so it bounces back to that position all the time.

7. Everything that's sucks data from the web seems slow...even on wifi...like safari engine is having trouble rendering the content

8. Safari "open pages view" never loads the homepage..always just dull grey...not how they demoed it

9. switching audio between Bluetooth, dock connection and speaker is very unreliable.  I often need to restart app to get audio to change "ports"

10. badges are missing...I see the white number of notifications, but red dot is missing often (facebook, mail, messages, etc)

the list goes on....yes I have done a full restore, etc.  I don't know...maybe beta 6 or gm will be huge improvements.

Some of those problems may be related to your cellular and dsl/cable service.

I find a lot of Apple's services to be slow at the moment. But due to it being a beta, that's understandable. Siri is really worthless at times due to the lag, by the time she responds, I could've done it myself. Although, at times, that may be due to ATT as well.

• Reply 27 of 66

Quote:

1. Many weird graphical lock ups - mostly on the springboard, and not in apps as much

3. auto-brightness level still gets locked in way down (almost black)...usually after a re-spring

4. I still find it is "laggy"..I realize I am on iP4, but I really hope this isn't a repeat of iOS4 on 3G phones

5. iTunes Match and Music app is crazy..takes forever to "buffer" songs before they start or even switching between songs

6. weird bug when "remember last playback position" is enabled.  Playback scrubber stays in "saved" position, so it bounces back to that position all the time.

7. Everything that's sucks data from the web seems slow...even on wifi...like safari engine is having trouble rendering the content

8. Safari "open pages view" never loads the homepage..always just dull grey...not how they demoed it

9. switching audio between Bluetooth, dock connection and speaker is very unreliable.  I often need to restart app to get audio to change "ports"

10. badges are missing...I see the white number of notifications, but red dot is missing often (facebook, mail, messages, etc)

the list goes on....yes I have done a full restore, etc.  I don't know...maybe beta 6 or gm will be huge improvements.

All of which I hope you have reported to Apple?

• Reply 28 of 66

Quote:

Tallest skill is rude as ever and I hope they kick you off this site for good soon.

Oh ye of 9 posts....

• Reply 29 of 66

Quote:

And you reported them all to Apple, correct?

"on my iP4" says a lot.  I know it will run on the iPhone 4, but it will be slow just like iOS6 is on my 3GS. Get over it and live with it.

• Reply 30 of 66
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

Guys all out there, do you still have complaints of UX and icons of the iOS 7?

Personally, I still think most of the icons are ugly as ****, and don't make sense from either a functional or design perspective. But all the other changes in iOS7 are great, so I'll just suck it up. I guess it's my fault for holding on to some hope that a few of them might be redesigned. I just believed it was unfathomable that they be kept exactly how they are. I just don't get the rationale behind them, something that has never happened to me when it comes to design from Apple. 

• Reply 31 of 66
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Personally, I still think most of the icons are ugly as ****, and don't make sense from either a functional or design perspective. But all the other changes in iOS7 are great, so I'll just suck it up. I guess it's my fault for holding on to some hope that a few of them might be redesigned. I just believed it was unfathomable that they be kept exactly how they are. I just don't get the rationale behind them, something that has never happened to me when it comes to design from Apple. 
    What does the design of an app icon have to so with function? :\
  • Reply 32 of 66
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    brutus009 wrote: »
    All of which I hope you have reported to Apple?

I would think his post pretty well opens him up to being fired as a developer. What is with people and NDAs? Or are these all trolls making sh1t up?
  • Reply 33 of 66
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Let's face it, a complete redesign just for the sake of 'doing something new and fresh' is not really a good reason.

iOS7 looks horrible. I've seen the last beta5 in our offices being used for development and it's horrible. Header buttons that look like text, white everywhere, icons on the home screen blending in the background... Usability has been thrown out of the door.

iOS7, besides improved apps like the photo capture tool, is a step back from iOS6.
  • Reply 34 of 66
    bslaght wrote: »

Have you filed bug reports on these?
  • Reply 35 of 66
    appalive wrote: »

Tallest skill is rude as ever and I hope they kick you off this site for good soon.

Techmanmike, it's the basic icon that we don't like and the Windows Phone icons aren't even icons.

Xx

Settings--->General--->Accessibility Shortcut--->Invert colors

Works rather nicely!

On iOS6 you could do white on black through a similar setup.
  • Reply 36 of 66
    focherfocher Posts: 687member

Quote:

I have three kids and a wife that won't be upgrading because of the icons and the colors. I hope they suprise us with new icons or I think it won't be as successful as it could be. Only two devices are getting updates to iOS7 out of 12 devices, the two are because of developing testing of our apps. I know that it sounds stupid but the look is very important to lots of people and the graphics that are replacing the old are lacking.

Yes they will. Maybe not right away, but within weeks they will encounter an "iOS 7 required" situation. Bet on it.

• Reply 37 of 66
    "I have three kids and a wife that won't be upgrading because of the icons and the colors." - AppAlive

First off, that sounds like you're cutting off the nose to spite the face. You'll be missing out on a dozen new features and usability improvements because you think you don't like the colors.

Ah yes, the colors. Often brought up. I'm betting that if you put a different desktop picture, one that doesn't involve so many teal and purple shades like the one Apple has been showing, it will be fine for your tastes.

Sure, the icons themselves are simplified, colorful, and more graphic-based, but there are dozens of apps that already have icons that vary from the style Apple has used in their own, so for me it's a non-issue.

There was a rumor-ous mention somewhere that there would be a 'Black' version of the OS for the black iPhone, but it's never surfaced in a beta, so it doesn't seem likely at this point.
  • Reply 38 of 66
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinolo View Post

Personally my complaints are:

1. Panorama feature on block screen not working anymore

2. I was able to restore the phone (after having it replaced at an apple store with a iOS6 one) but the phone shows a sync error. Backs up ok but wouldn't sink (though iTunes is also beta and mavericks is also beta..)

Graphically though apple improved readability throughout the OS which is great, also app names are much more readable (they tweaked the type till it's just right).

Tweaks needed?

1. When you flip through Safari pages it would be nice, instead of the dull gray background, to have the blurred homescreen image.

2. When keyboard is active (such as now writing this post) swiping from the bottom doesn't bring up the tray...

Did you submit your complaints to Apple?  We can't do anything about it here. So make sure you tell Apple, then they can fix it.

• Reply 39 of 66
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I don't think they are that bad looking.  I think they are doing the flat icons as bright as they are might be for better visibility outside?  Just a thought.  The Flat icons take up less GPU to render, so they can use the GPU for the other aspects that's kind of cool.  GPU resources are limited in these types of devices.

Just submit complaints about specific icons and maybe they'll change them.  If they don't hear the feedback, then they think everything is OKEY DOKEY.  I submit complaints about even the most trivial stuff and sometimes they get around to fixing it.

I think Craig's a lot more open to what the users have to say.  He doesn't like hearing complaints, but I'm sure he'll react when there are lot of the same complaints about something that they can easily change.  Just don't ask for anything unreasonable and understand that the flat icons are to use less GPU so they can do other things like the layering effect, which I do think is cool.  

• Reply 40 of 66
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILLTROOPER View Post

"I have three kids and a wife that won't be upgrading because of the icons and the colors." - AppAlive

First off, that sounds like you're cutting off the nose to spite the face. You'll be missing out on a dozen new features and usability improvements because you think you don't like the colors.

Ah yes, the colors. Often brought up. I'm betting that if you put a different desktop picture, one that doesn't involve so many teal and purple shades like the one Apple has been showing, it will be fine for your tastes.

Sure, the icons themselves are simplified, colorful, and more graphic-based, but there are dozens of apps that already have icons that vary from the style Apple has used in their own, so for me it's a non-issue.

There was a rumor-ous mention somewhere that there would be a 'Black' version of the OS for the black iPhone, but it's never surfaced in a beta, so it doesn't seem likely at this point.

Yes I also expect the underlying wallpaper to have a significant impact on the aesthetics, the translucent nature of the overall design practically guarantees that IMHO. And beyond that it IS the functionality that will either be compelling or it won't (and I expect it was as always).