Apple researching flexible headphone connectors to stop potential breakage

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

No chance of that, there are no patents related to that by Apple or rumors that Apple are so Scammy won't be.

I think the joke may have been that anything Apple makes, Samsung makes bigger.

Ooh. Song.

• Reply 22 of 32
    I find it quite ironic that my headphones broke today of the exact issue and I am an avid reader of this blog and today they do an article telling me Apple already knows and is working to fix the issue. I love Apple!
  • Reply 23 of 32
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Everything should be MagSafe. Magnetic connectors that can pull off. All connectors.

I totally agree. The phone could come with a small 3.5mm socket to magsafe adapter so all headphones could be used.

• Reply 24 of 32
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikilok View Post

Hence moving to digital headphones rather than analog ones.

What is a digital headphone? How does it work?

• Reply 25 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markg71 View Post

Why does it have to be round? Seems the issue is the shape, can you not make a flat or elongated connector for headphones like a micro sd card for example ?

As long as it only goes in one way, sure. The connector shouldn't be reversible though, as left and right ears would be swapped.

Then there would be the issue of Apple's devices being incompatible with every set of headphones ever made unless you want to carry an adaptor which sorta negates the elegance of a slim connector.

If it's really necessary for a pocket computer/communications device (it just doesn't seem right to refer to it as just "a phone" anymore) to be as thin as a credit card, perhaps just the area where the headphones plug in could be thicker, like a little semi-cylindrical jack "hangar."

• Reply 26 of 32
    jrobjrob Posts: 49member
    Great, now can you figure out how to make a charging cable that doesn't tear after 6 months? I've had a bunch of iPhone cables tear near the connector, and now I just had to patch up my 2010 MBP power cable. The MBP I can understand, as its been 3 years, but the iPhone cable problem I cannot. Seems like such low-hanging fruit.
  • Reply 27 of 32
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member

I have also imagined a Lightning connector that fits fully inside the device so that if the device falls only the cable takes the impact.  The hard inflexible parts of the connector are inside the phone.  A lot of Lightning sockets get damaged when the outer body of the connector gets impacted or torqued.  By moving the rigid parts of the connector inside the phone, only the cable and it's strain relief would suffer the forces of impact.  I know this idea creates an internal space issue, but  . . . .

• Reply 28 of 32
    nikiloknikilok Posts: 383member

Quote:

Originally Posted by v5v View Post

What is a digital headphone? How does it work?

A digital headphone takes in digital signals instead of Analog ones.

It then converts that digital signals into analog ones, which is then sent over to the speakers built in.

So Arguably the question would be why even bother making headphones digital, since its finally analog outputs.

• Reply 29 of 32

Originally Posted by jrob View Post

Great, now can you figure out how to make a charging cable that doesn't tear after 6 months?

Yeah: take care of your possessions. 

• Reply 30 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikilok View Post

A digital headphone takes in digital signals instead of Analog ones.

It then converts that digital signals into analog ones, which is then sent over to the speakers built in.

So Arguably the question would be why even bother making headphones digital, since its finally analog outputs.

So a digital headphone would require a ditial-to-analog converter, an amplifier, and some means of providing power to those devices. Seems like a lotta hardware to carry around in an earpiece. Does such a thing actually exist?

• Reply 31 of 32
    Apple seems to be working on ultimate earphones, with it practically industructable, best sound quality, best ever fit, switch between Bluetooth and wired connection

Apple will likely never make new audio port. They will likely switch to Bluetooth, make lighting to 3.5 and ask makers to use Bluetooth or lighting.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

I don't really think anyone is demanding this at all, Apple keep upping the ante on this one themselves. I think people understand that while hardware will get faster and more powerful indefinitely, it will not get ever lighter, there's a limit and we probably are very close to it. In fact I don't think anyone would want any more heft removed from the iPod touch, we need to feel some substance.

With regards to the 3.5mm micro connector it will never be able to have a magsafe like detachment and it seems that this is a waste of engineering.

Yeah, it's a complete waste.  The headphone connector is a standard, and has been a standard for many, many years (I know it's been around for at least 40, and I suspect it's older than that).  Apple WILL lose customers if they abandon it.

And NO ONE is demanding thinner devices.  Apple keeps making them thinner, at the expense of power, battery life, and serviceability.  I'd be VERY happy if the next iPhone were thicker, at least as thick as the first iPhone, and with a removable battery.  I was hoping Steve dying would reverse the trend, but Tim seems to have bought into the stupidity.