Production of next-gen iPad mini's Retina display reportedly near 2012 launch levels

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
A report late Wednesday said Apple's partner suppliers have ramped up production of high-resolution LCD panels bound for the next-generation iPad mini, with output holding steady at the same levels seen during the tablet's launch last year.

iPad mini

Citing data from market research firm IHS iSuppli, CNET reported that display production for Apple's second-generation iPad mini is now at a level "similar" to that seen when the tablet was first unveiled in November 2012. The publication adds to recent rumors that claim Apple's tablet will sport a high-resolution Retina panel.

The firm's director of mobile and emerging displays, Vinita Jakhanwal, noted volumes are similar to the fourth quarter of last year. LG Display is expected to be the primary screen supplier for the Retina iPad mini, at least initially, with existing Apple partner Sharp expected to follow later in the production cycle.

A recent report from The Wall Street Journal said Apple may add Samsung to the supplier list despite the two companies' ongoing legal disputes and status as rival manufacturers. The move is thought to ensure that an adequate number of units will be available for launch.

The next-gen mini is expected to keep the 7.9-inch form factor, but up resolution to 2,048-by-1,536 pixels. This equates to a pixel density of 324 pixels per inch.

Finally, Jakhanwal said AU Optronics has also started furnishing Apple with 7.9-inch panels for current-generation models, but it is unclear if the company will be able to scale up its technology to meet Retina display requirements.

Rumors regarding a launch date for Apple's 'iPad mini 2' have been scattershot. Some say the the tablet will see release in the fourth quarter, while others predict a launch won't happen until 2014. Most recently, KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said Apple is likely to introduce two new versions of the tablet, a low-cost non-Retina model and a premium Retina iteration, in March or April of next year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14

In other news, water is wet....

• Reply 2 of 14

Too bad, mighty SAMSUNG is making those displays...

What is a good iSheep to do?

On one hand, you have to purchase everything Apple makes, on the other hand, you have to boycott Samsung...

Poor iSheep!

• Reply 3 of 14

Does your mommy know that you're not on the school bus and sitting in the basement playing with the computer...

• Reply 4 of 14

Meh, I've heard better Samsung trolling. Got any new material?

• Reply 5 of 14
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    It's funny how the rumors have been all over the place for the Mini! But it looks like the closer to October we're getting the more everyone seems to be saying a Retina model is coming.

Of course we should take every rumor we see with a grain of salt, but I'm thinking we will see a retina model this fall alongside the iPad 5!
  • Reply 6 of 14
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    Cease talking and seize my funds!
  • Reply 7 of 14
    g-noteg-note Posts: 39member
    Looks like November is going to hard on my wallet. Between new iPad's and the Xbox One I will be broke!
  • Reply 8 of 14
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member

If the report of ramped up retina screen production is correct (and it may be a big if), then for a couple of reasons a 4Q13 product launch seems inevitable. First, an rMini is an obvious holiday season item; Apple would hardly want to miss that buying season. Second, no company, especially one as skilled in supply chain management as Apple, would choose to sit on months and months of screen inventory for a 2014 product launch.

The rMini is inevitable, and its appearance sooner rather than later makes sense.

• Reply 9 of 14
    Didn't Phil Schiller say that's a given in the Apple Launch Math (this is iPhone math I guess)...

...Each new generation sold approximately equal to all previous generations combined.

We'll see if the iPad market equates to this....
  • Reply 10 of 14
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Oh man if the mini is basically an iPad 3 in a smaller form factor it's going to be hard to justify a full size iPad.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Oh man if the mini is basically an iPad 3 in a smaller form factor it's going to be hard to justify a full size iPad.

Not if the new iPad is thinner, lighter and  gives you none-stop pleasure.

• Reply 12 of 14

Damn. I just bought an iPad Mini because I read so many rumors the next Mini won't have a retina display. 

• Reply 13 of 14
    Bring it to market now! Give use a release date for it - now! Have a pre-order on the Apple website - now! LOL!
  • Reply 14 of 14

You can return it if you purchase is made within the two week period - no guesses ask!   Hope you purchased it directly from Apple!