Rumor: Apple may announce 'some sort of television product' as soon as November

Comments

• Reply 21 of 68
    They need gaming integration and some version of a body motion sensor would be a natural for them. Besides mere catch-up with that, maybe they can leap-frog.
  • Reply 22 of 68
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

iTunes needs a step-up to HD program to let me update my old SD movies. 

• Reply 23 of 68
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    Everyone talks about Apple putting their Apple TV technology into a TV panel. But what if Apple did the reverse and just slapped a projector into the existing size of the Apple TV box. It's almost the size of a mini-projector. And it probably wouldn't need to be that much bigger to be a very high-quality projector. So just skip the whole TV set manufacturing.
  • Reply 24 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

But Siegler suggested that voice control may be "out the window," and that Apple is working on "some new way to interact with whatever this thing is."

iWatch

• Reply 25 of 68
    1983 wrote: »
    An interesting rumour - I hope there's some truth in it. I think Apple needs something more than iPhone/iPad/Mac and software updates this year - something to add a bit more zest to proceedings, a bit more excitement...maybe this is it?

Maybe Mac Pro? Remember, Apple also produces computers.
  • Reply 26 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Personnaly, what I would do is make a few different size moniters that could receive an Apple TV "thunderbolt stick" device on the back.  The "brains" of the TV would be a stick so you can upgrade it later on. This would allows neat setups without a separate box.

I would do the following monitors that could be used for both TV and the mac pro:

27" retina IGZO 4K monitor

40" 4k LCD/LED monitor

I would wait for those panels to lower in price before introducing bigger size monitor.

40" 4k IGZO monitor

50" 4k IGZO monitor

60" 4k IGZO monitor

For current TV sets, I would continu to make a separate box like the current Apple TV

The thunderbolt stick makes little sense in that space.   just a HDMI/mDP adapter off of the current AppleTV would do.

The challenge (unless Apple has already come up with a effective means to get all Local TV stations and cable companies to broadcast livestream via the Apple cloud), is local and live content through non-Internet inputs (and/or Apple Competitors [e.g. cable companies])

The ISSUE with Apple TV now is the seamless integration with all the variations of 'live' TV programming, and/or capturing access to their digital livestreams, and their digital archives [last week's Local Access Channel Baseball game between Mount Valley HS and Sister RalphMary's Hebrew Prep]

The SOLUTION is a method where AppleTV can intercept/learn/control your TV's 'Other' inputs and present a single navigation point for your viewing entertainment.

The jobs of such a device

"What's on TV NOW[in the future] that interesting to ME?"

"I want to watch content XXXXXX[SEASON YYYY... EPISODE ZZZZZ].... what are my options to view [source, quality, cost]? and let me choose..."

"I really like actor ASHTON KUTCHER.... list all the content options I can view of him"

"Remind me when TEAM A  plays TEAM B.... Where is it being shown in this digital wasteland [source cost quality] and DVR[in the cloud] it in case I miss it"

"What would I like to watch?"

That last one is Matcha.TV

It's best in the TV... A cable input, a DVD player with HDMI back channel controls connection, an HDMI or ThunderBolt connection out (dual screen controls)

all controlled by the 'Apple Remote' technologies

But in reality, I think TV manufacturers will need to go through a "Ford Sync" moment, and acquiesce to a 'iOS for the TV' interface standard, which allows all the TV settings be controlled via the Apple TV remote (either another iOS device, or Apples 4 button remote).  They make a TV, Apple makes the STB, once connected, the TV becomes a 'monitor' fully controlled by AppleTV SW (power, configuration, sound).

So... in essense, I see the inverse of "iOS in the Car" as the model for Apples TV engagement.  Instead of building a car to run an iPhone, we ask TV manufacturers to build a TV that can be fully controlled by an external box.

Of course, it's all about the cable companies.... Steve said so in the beginning.  1000's of cable MONOPOLIES in the US alone... It took iPhone 5 years to get all 4 Major US cell companies to play... and it's EASY to switch between phone carriers... The only way to get Time Warner Cable in Minneapolis is to move to Bloomington....  that will slow adoption;-)

Answer... It's likely to start via Satellite.

As for the primary topic... Once I see a 75ohm connector on the AppleTV box, then I know they are moving out of the 'hobby' mode.   If that comes this year... Apple is serious.

• Reply 27 of 68
    Will it have IGZO?
  • Reply 28 of 68
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    I don't think Apple is coming out with a TV and screen. As I posted yesterday, If you read between the lines Apple acquisition of Matcha hints at Steve's "secret sauce". Think of Apple TV as iTune's Match for your television.

The key is it's "genre-centric"! So if you like Poker After Dark, Dexter, and Charlie Rose, you tell Siri and Apple TV creates 3 customs channels. That's my vision of Steve's vision.
  • Reply 29 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by battiato1981 View Post

They need gaming integration and some version of a body motion sensor would be a natural for them. Besides mere catch-up with that, maybe they can leap-frog.

'need'?  

TV is not full body gaming... Not for the mass market... at least not yet.  See xBox for the profit... it's not a growth market. 

• Reply 30 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

I don't think Apple is coming out with a TV and screen. As I posted yesterday, If you read between the lines Apple acquisition of Matcha hints at Steve's "secret sauce". Think of Apple TV as iTune's Match for your television.

The key is it's "genre-centric"! So if you like Poker After Dark, Dexter, and Charlie Rose, you tell Siri and Apple TV creates 3 customs channels. That's my vision of Steve's vision.

It's like iTunes Genius.  Match... no.

• Reply 31 of 68
    [B]"Apple may announce some sort of TV thing [I]as the war for the living room heats up[/I]"[/B]

There. Fixed that for ya! ;)
  • Reply 32 of 68
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

If we see an increase in resolution with the iphone 5s, imo this will be a hint that a bigger iphone is coming and that the iphone apps could be ported into the Apple TV. The 5s resolution could be a major spoil of upcomming hardware, especially if its 1080p

No offence, but this seems silly to me. 

- increase of resolution on the 5s is not going to happen because ...

- no current rumours of resolution increase on 5s even though release is a few weeks away. 

- makes no difference to AppleTV anyway as "porting" apps to the TV is also never going to happen (different device types & purposes)

- 1080p on iPhone is a boondoggle that makes no sense at all unless phone is physically bigger

- bigger iPhone not going to happen in general (smaller iPad more likely)

- Apps already work on AppleTV

- aspect ratio of TV screen and iPhone is already the same (movies & landscape apps)

There's probably some other stuff wrong with this conception but I'm tired now ...

• Reply 33 of 68

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

An Apple TV with 4K resolution and a blu-ray disc drive would be most appreciated. image

It's as though you don't have a clue what company you're talking about.

• Reply 34 of 68
    It's as though you don't have a clue what company you're talking about.

Sony?
  • Reply 35 of 68
    ireland wrote: »
    My instinct says this is not happening this year. And my heart says I want this to be an actual TV.

Yeah, not sure instinct has to do with it. You probably mean your intuition :)
  • Reply 36 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

Good points. 2 sizes seems manageable. But think the loot AAPL could yank in if every manufacturer bought some proprietary innards and remote from Apple. Less cost and a lesser 'gambol' image on Apple's part.

Either way, 'Go Apple, Go!

I think it's gonna be 'iOS for the TV'  (like iOS in the Car, only in reverse)  less than licensing the HW into TVs... a Bad TV with AppleTV built in will be a black eye on Apple.  A TV with a bad code to let Apple TV talk to it, that's a bad TV manufacturer.

What the consumer wants (not the videophile), is a point/click/drool interface to fully engage all your componentry and the hidden information.

a very dumb TV that is turned on when the Apple TV is activated, sound controled from the apple TV interface (silver remote or iOS app on an iPhone), and either a 75ohm NTSC/PAL cable connector, OR, the ability to 'scan' the channels on your TV [and/or the ability to set in preferences your location and if you're OTA, cable, or premium cable, or satellite], and then a built in DVR for those channels...

And engaging with a satellite provider.  That's the only way you get the cable monopolies to integrate.

We gotta remember Apples long game.

They want 'all the content' for a 30% cut in the revenue.

They want big dumb pipes to their cloud

They want a singular LTE standard

They want all devices to integrate with their HW/APIs specifications [USB, Firewire, thunderbolt lightning, Bluetooth, cars, TVs, cable boxes, disk drives, monitors, keyboards, etc etc etc]

And they want to make the OS, the marketplace, and the Devices and the interfaces that interface 'you' to 'your world'

• Reply 37 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

... If you read between the lines Apple acquisition of Matcha hints at Steve's "secret sauce"...

A lot of people are saying this, but I don't see as there's a shred of evidence or even an implication that this is actually so.  

• Reply 38 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

… Yeah, it's called an iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch.

Except those don't actually work very well for the purpose.  If that's all it is, it's a fail IMO. 

• Reply 39 of 68
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member

Quote:

Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

Everyone talks about Apple putting their Apple TV technology into a TV panel. But what if Apple did the reverse and just slapped a projector into the existing size of the Apple TV box. It's almost the size of a mini-projector. And it probably wouldn't need to be that much bigger to be a very high-quality projector. So just skip the whole TV set manufacturing.

• Reply 40 of 68
    I will buy 3!