Comparison of iOS users finds Apple's iPad most popular among businesses, pet owners & moms

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
A new study of iOS users has revealed how iPad and iPhone adoption break down among specific groups of people, providing some insight about what Apple's most popular portable devices are being used for.

iOS

Analytics firm Flurry revealed the results of its latest survey on Friday, comparing the share of iOS device use by an individual's "persona." These identifiers include categories such as "business professionals," "TV lovers," and "bookworms."

FlurryThe study found that iOS use skews most heavily in favor of the iPad among "pet owners," about 70 percent of which use Apple's tablet. The next most popular demographic for the iPad was "small business owners," of which more than 60 percent skew iPad.

The third group slanted most in favor of the iPad over iPhone was moms, while "casual simulation gamers" came in fourth, and "home design enthusiasts" took fifth. From there, the split among iPhone and iPad is about 50-50, before the iPhone begins to dominate among "entertainment enthusiasts."

The share of iOS devices by persona is most heavily in favor of the iPhone among "value shoppers," while "singles" come in second and "hip urban lifestyle" took third. The data shows that "on the move" personas are more likely to be on their iPhone, while the iPad's larger size make it less ideal for mobile activities.

Among time spent on each device, the iPad is most popular for education, Apple's Newsstand feature, games, and reference. Meanwhile, the iPhone is iOS users' go-to choice for navigation, health and fitness, and photo and video.

As for the time of day, iPad use peaks in the evening, between 6 p.m. and 11 p.m. The iPhone also peaks during that same period, but user engagement remains higher at later hours after 10 p.m. Flurry suggests that this use shows iPhone users who have their device at bedside, or active people who may be out for a late night.

The data comes from a random sample of 44,295 iPad and iPhone users gathered during the month of May. iPod touch users were not included.

Flurry

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Pet owners, lol. Dumb surveys.

• Reply 2 of 19
    nikiloknikilok Posts: 383member
    I wonder what the demographics of android users would be ?
  • Reply 3 of 19
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by nikilok View Post

Homeless, hunters, and dads.

• Reply 4 of 19
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Average Androidian: Geeks, tweakers and cheapskates. image

• Reply 5 of 19
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member

Content creators conspicuously absent from the list (e.g., musicians using iOS as a creative tool).

/snort

• Reply 6 of 19
    Average Androidian: Geeks, tweakers and cheapskates. :D

Not all Geeks. Geeks with class still prefer iOS.

Hunters as in those hunting people down whose android devices have been bugged with malware :D

Oh and I forgot. People with dimensionally large Pockets.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

What a "Mens Lifestyle Addict"?

Are those code words for gay? 

• Reply 8 of 19
    cincyteecincytee Posts: 403member

Quote:

iPod touch users were not included.

Odd. That's a pretty big segment of iOS users, isn't it?

• Reply 9 of 19
    cincytee wrote: »
    Odd. That's a pretty big segment of iOS users, isn't it?
    Ofc they are.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

Content creators conspicuously absent from the list (e.g., musicians using iOS as a creative tool).

/snort

I know lots of iPad music hobbiests, but so far I still don't know anyone who uses one for making a living.

• Reply 11 of 19
    davendaven Posts: 696member

No wonder I have two iPads and no iPhone. I am a business owner and have a dog. I wouldn't call myself a 'pet owner' as is seems that I am aways doing stuff for her instead of the other way around. For example, when we play fetch, she only brings the ball part of the way back. Invariably I have to take a couple of steps towards her to get the ball and each time a little farther. That is, until I tell her that I'm not going to do it and turn my back. Then she comes running with the ball!

• Reply 12 of 19
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by v5v View Post

I know lots of iPad music hobbiests, but so far I still don't know anyone who uses one for making a living.

Really?

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/mobile-computing/tablets/how-musicians-are-using-the-ipad-921391

http://www.maclife.com/article/columns/how_pro_musicians_use_ipad_make_sweet_sweet_music

http://visual.ly/how-are-musicians-using-ipad

• Reply 13 of 19
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

This is kind of a dumb survey.  It's indicating between iPhone and IPad owners.

• Reply 14 of 19
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

usually, less education level, younger, and lower income levels and lemmings.  That's based on a survey that was done last year, I believe.

• Reply 15 of 19
    nikilok wrote: »

Those people that believed the android shills at stores telling you 101 reasons why an android device is better. They buy into android aswell for lack of realization.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikilok View Post

Purely anecdotal but the only Android users I have run into are my youngest son's friends and they are all posers claiming to be developers. They spout the usual run-of-the-mill crap about Android and iOS as they fiddle with their Samsungs.

• Reply 17 of 19

Unless the article author left out a lot of details, the only thing this survey is useful for is telling me never to hire Flurry for a survey.

My OBVIOUS questions:

I'm a 'Value shopper' and have an iPad and an iPhone - how was that counted?

I use my iPhone as a 'Tech Gadget Enthusiast" and my iPad at work to substitute carrying around a notebook, there isn't even a category for that.

The relative size of the groups is visually misleading since everything adds up to 100%. Is the number of 'Singles' comparable to the 'real estate followers'? Of course not. Are singles included in other groups?

This is so poorly written the AppleInsider staff should be reprimanded for a lousy understanding of statistics.... are you fan-boy journalism majors with no concept of statistics, marketing segments, or technology?

Maybe stick to fabricated pictures of un-released products. At least the lack of discernment isn't obvious.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Well, *I* still don't know anyone who's using an iPad for production! image

But seriously, the iPad seems to have become the Portastudio of the 21st century. Maybe not up to the task of actual album production, but a really handy musical notepad and tool for song writing and development.

• Reply 19 of 19
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    v5v wrote: »
    I know lots of iPad music hobbyist, but so far I still don't know anyone who uses one for making a living.

I really like the iPad as a music creation and recording device in fact ir's pretty much the only thing I use it for. There are so many outstanding music apps that it's hard to decide which one is of greater use. The list of preferals also make it the preferred system for a lot of hobbyist musicians. I have a Behringer iStudio dock that is one best recording devices I have ever owned. The only thing that I still wish the iPad had is a filemanager.