Supposed gold color variant of next iPhone shown off in pictures

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Images have emerged of the rear casing for an apparent next-generation "iPhone 5S," adding fuel to rumors that Apple will offer its bestselling handset in not only black and white models, but also in gold.

Recent iPhone leaks this year have largely focused on an expected low-cost, plastic model, but French site MacBoutic [via Engadget] uncovered what appears to be the rear casing from the higher-end "iPhone 5S." All logos are missing from the device, but it does retain the same form factor as the iPhone 5, and the color does not appear to be the result of an after-market process.

The notion of a gold colorway for Apple's top-selling handset first emerged in May, when component photos showed a gold SIM tray. Since then additional images have emerged, lending credence to the notion of an additional color option for the high-end model.

Most recently, well-informed KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo predicted a gold option for the next iPhone, as well as the option for 128GB of internal storage.

Colors may play a big part in the next generation of iPhone, as Apple is also expected to debut its lower-cost model with a wide range of color options.

In addition to a wider selection of colors, the new high-end iPhone is expected to sport Apple's A7 system-on-a-chip design with 1GB of LPDDR3 RAM. That chip is said to be of Apple's own design, with a 20 percent increase in efficiency over its predecessor.

It may also pack a fingerprint sensor embedded in the device's sapphire glass home button. A fingerprint sensor would greatly help Apple to distinguish itself from competing manufacturers by significantly increasing device security.

Both the low-end and higher-end models of iPhone are expected to debut next month at a September 10 media event. Apple has not yet confirmed such an event, but the notoriously secretive Cupertino company typically does not send out invitations to such functions until just a few days before.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 102
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

With no logo or lettering on the back how do we know this is legit?  Or an early prototype testing out different colors?  The button leak photos aren't nearly as brassy gold as this is.  Or could it be something from here http://www.anostyle.com/?

• Reply 2 of 102
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    You won't catch me with that!
  • Reply 3 of 102
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    Gold color is a really interesting approach. I'm not sure how I feel about it. It's taking the "luxury phone" thing a little too literally for me.

That said, I can imagine a lot of fancy-purses-type ladies being very interested in one.
  • Reply 4 of 102
    Shop.
  • Reply 5 of 102
    Gold iPhone? I still can't understand why they would pick that color. High end phone does not equal Gold phone
  • Reply 6 of 102
    I really like how Apple's suppliers have learned to 'leak' these items at the right pace. It's taken a while, but they have finally learned what to leak, and at what pace to provide these leaks. It almost reminds me of Christmas, when I was younger, trying to guess and anticipate what the items were in the packages. The suppliers have finally caught on exactly how to tease the public's appetite with the 'leaks' related to forthcoming Apple products.
  • Reply 7 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital_Guy View Post

I really like how Apple's suppliers have learned to 'leak' these items at the right pace. It's taken a while, but they have finally learned what to leak, and at what pace to provide these leaks. It almost reminds me of Christmas, when I was younger, trying to guess and anticipate what the items were in the packages. The suppliers have finally caught on exactly how to tease the piblic's appetite with the 'leaks' related to forthcoming Apple products.

Where's the Apple logo on this thing?

• Reply 8 of 102
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Lady Gaga will be mesmerized.

Me? All I want is bare, polished Liquidmetal.
  • Reply 9 of 102
    Is Apple and Jony Ive losing it's cool? This is gaudy and unattractive. May appeal to Kim Kardashian but not the general public. Also the supposed low cost phone colors are also hideous. The yellow looks like a canary yellow.
  • Reply 10 of 102
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

Should be popular in Jersey

• Reply 11 of 102
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    This is a "ghetto" phone if it looks like that.
    Something some trash pop or rap star would think looks good no doubt.

Much tackier looking than the sim tray that leaked also which was a nice fleshy, peachy, gold hue, so hopefully it's just a fake.
  • Reply 12 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

… The notion of a gold colorway ...

Please stop using this nonsensical, meaningless, made-up trashy term.  

It might be cool if it meant something but it's just the way ignorant people say "colour."  

The whole idea of using cool new phrases is that they never existed before and mean things that you can't say any other way.  This is not that. 

• Reply 13 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZachLach View Post

Gold iPhone? I still can't understand why they would pick that color. High end phone does not equal Gold phone

Gold actually stands for "tacky" and "low class" nowadays.  No one with any real money and class wears a lot of gold anymore.  At least not in western culture. 

The poor folks that want to appear rich, the nouveau rich and conspicuous consumers wear gold.  

It's tasteless. 

• Reply 14 of 102
    jakeb wrote: »
    Gold color is a really interesting approach. I'm not sure how I feel about it. It's taking the "luxury phone" thing a little too literally for me.

That said, I can imagine a lot of fancy-purses-type ladies being very interested in one.
    Bingo! And all over the world.. I could see luxury stores in Europe selling the phones.. I'm wrong? Um think about it.. Brilliant actually.. A 128 gb for a grand.. There goes their gross margins ... UP??
  • Reply 15 of 102
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

It will go great with Oprah's $36,000 hand bag.

Or her Dubai iPad Mini.

• Reply 16 of 102
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Gold actually stands for "tacky" and "low class" nowadays.  No one with any real money and class wears a lot of gold anymore.  At least not in western culture. 

The poor folks that want to appear rich, the nouveau rich and conspicuous consumers wear gold.  

It's tasteless. 

The Queen of England wears tons of gold and so soon shall Camilla then Kate. Shush your mouth!

• Reply 17 of 102

Of course none of this has been confirmed and last year when iPhone 5 cases leaked everyone vomited all over them too.  Until the phones were announced and we saw what they really looked like.

• Reply 18 of 102
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member

The lighting in this photo might be off, giving it a more brassy than champagne gold hue - if this is legit of course. It doesn't look as bad as I thought it would though. Less than a month to go and all will be revealed anyway.

• Reply 19 of 102

Gold is a very popular color...in China.

• Reply 20 of 102
    nikiloknikilok Posts: 383member
    Gold is kind of an attention grabbing color and if the phones bezel was gold ull never be immersed in the content I believe.