The Newton Thread

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Okay, so it's not current hardware. So sue me. All Newton users gather here.

I just ordered a 120 from eBay. I can't wait to get the thing. Everyone says that they are so much better than Palm and everything and I am tired of my three ring binder filofax thingy, so I ordered one.

Anyone provide any hints or tips or just general discussion? User groups? Whatever?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    I just ordered a 120 too! It's been so hard to find one shipping to UK.. in the end I payed $95 for a buy it now, just to get it!

It's not come yet, and I can't wait. I doubt it'll replace my Palm 505, simply because the latter fits in my jeans pocket and I can get it out anywhere, but I'll give it a chance anyway. (I now need a Mac to sync it with... I can't keep borrowing my brother's 6200!)

Amorya
  • Reply 2 of 45
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    What operating system is your Newton coming with? The 120 can use OS 1.3, or the superior 2.0.
  • Reply 3 of 45
    Hi Fran, I definitely made sure it came with OS 2.0. I did my homework before I bought one. I can't wait!
  • Reply 4 of 45
    Excellent. </mr.burns>

Any way, the only issue you might want to know about with the 120 is that there is no backlighting built into the system like the 130 has. (Backlighting really eats into those AA batteries, though, so it might be a benefit NOT to have it).

OS 2.0 can run most Newton programs- only the most advanced Newton packages will not run on these systems. 2.0 supports online browsing and you can have 2 flash memory cards in the system. ATA also works thanks to the efforts of Paul Guyot (but I haven't tried it on a 120- maybe later today...).

If you really want to annoy people, get a copy of Jared? which someone took the time to port over to the Newton, crank up the volume, and let it sing away!

Seriously, though, the Newton is a terrific device. Most people find it 'bulky' (some find it gargantuan). It's a great device and gives you a look back in the history of handheld computing and how we've actually lost some of the better features of those devices.

Just try not to laugh too hard when you see eWorld on it, okay?
  • Reply 5 of 45
    This must be the time of the Newton revival!

I just bought a MessagePad 130 from eBay last Saturday, and I'm desperatly waiting for it to arrive.

I was too young to know much about Newtons when they was around. But since I started getting realy interessted in it a few weeks ago I remembered seeing them (MessagePad & eMate) being shown on BBC's Tomorrows World years ago when PDAs were still revolutionary.

[ 11-15-2001: Message edited by: Saltire ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 45
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    My Newt's coming with 2.0, and also a CD of Newt software.

I don't mind about the backlight, as it's really for curiosity's sake... I won't do much work on it as I have a Palm with a keyboard, and it's too big to keep notes on.

Any useful things that it can do that I don't know about? What's gaming like?

Amorya
  • Reply 7 of 45
    bogiebogie Posts: 407member
    <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=10&t=000069"; target="_blank">http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=10&t=000069</a>;

Please post there if you have Newton interest.

But make sure you don't make any references to the Newton in Suggestions ... or it'll magically get locked ...
  • Reply 8 of 45
    My Newton MP2100 has served me as my only computer for almost 3 years. I've written magazine articles on it, done all my email and faxes with it, use it for doing the accounting for the non-profit organisation that I work for, and web browising until last year, when I accidently deleted Newts Cape. The web browsing these days isn't really very good unless you stick to viewing simple Newton or Palm friendly pages, but it works. Maybe the slowness is my 28.8 modem as I'm used to cable modem speeds these days. The Newt is still my alarm clock, day-planner, note keeper... really, it's relieved me of most of the annoying little slips of paper and business cards and phone numbers scrawled on bar napkins and coasters that I used to carry around all the time. It's helped me to remember names and birthdays, anniverseries, really, I sometimes wonder how I got along without it. Maybe the Palms and Pocket PCs are better these days, but I've tried them all out in the shops and still can't see any reason to retire the Newt.
  • Reply 9 of 45
    Hi Fran,

I was wondering if you've tried running Newton Connection Utilities on OS 9.2 as I may try syncing up to my iBook on a USB IR or Serial adapter. I really only want to install some software and without a web browser on the Newt I'll need to sync up with a bigger PC or Mac.
  • Reply 10 of 45
    bogiebogie Posts: 407member
    I want to know how to sync over IR - will a MP120 with OS 1.3 do it or just a 2x00 with 2.0?

As of this weekend I will have both and my PowerBook has IR on it.
  • Reply 11 of 45
    sinewavesinewave Posts: 1,074member
    Someone gave me a message pad about 6 months ago cause they didn't use it. It's in my closet now
  • Reply 12 of 45
    Don't fret, now... Let me give you my address!
  • Reply 13 of 45
    I've used the Keyspan USB dual serial apater to sync up the Newtons I have with NCU 2.0 (or NCK 1.1) and it works fine. Installing packages couldn't be easier, and you can save the ones you aren't using on your Mac.
  • Reply 14 of 45
    [quote]Someone gave me a message pad about 6 months ago cause they didn't use it. It's in my closet now<hr></blockquote>

Is your brain in your closet too? Stop trolling already.
  • Reply 15 of 45
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I kep wondering if I should get a used Newton instead of a palm device. I think there may be something really great coming for OS5, but hen the newton has internet connectivity and e-mail support that the other's still don't approach.

How much does a used MP2100 go for now???
  • Reply 16 of 45
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>

Is your brain in your closet too? Stop trolling already. </strong><hr></blockquote>

• Reply 17 of 45
    I have a newton, but then I bought a real PDA. iPaq 3150.
  • Reply 18 of 45
    [quote]Originally posted by macmonkey:

<strong>I have a newton, but then I bought a real PDA. iPaq 3150.</strong><hr></blockquote>

If it wasn't for the Newton there wouldn't have been a iPaq.
  • Reply 19 of 45
    So? If it weren't for rotary dial telephones we wouldn't have cellphones and cordless phones...does that mean everyone should use Ma Bell rotary model phones instead of Motorolas, GEs, or Nokias?
  • Reply 20 of 45
    [quote]Originally posted by macmonkey:

<strong>So? If it weren't for rotary dial telephones we wouldn't have cellphones and cordless phones...does that mean everyone should use Ma Bell rotary model phones instead of Motorolas, GEs, or Nokias?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes