Google+ iOS app removes Messenger, adds Hangouts and Google Drive support

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Google rolled out an update to its Google+ iOS app on Friday, replacing previously integrated Messenger support with Hangouts, while adding support for the company's Google Drive cloud storage service.

Google Plus

Google+ for iOS reaches version 5.4.0 with Friday's update, bundling Web-based services Hangouts and Google Drive into the Internet giant's social networking platform.

The addition of Google Drive integration, which is also offered as a standalone app, allows Google+ users to view, edit and share photos stored in the cloud.

Google's move to replace Google+ Messenger further consolidates the company's cross-platform Hangouts messaging platform, which unifies Google Talk, Messenger and the original Hangout video chat service. Google launched a standalone Hangouts iOS app in May.

Existing Messenger users can download their current messaging data from Google's Takeout archive manager.

Google appears to be paring down its iOS offerings by bundling its various standalone apps together into a few main titles. Earlier in August, the search company retired Google+ Local after identical features debuted in a revamped Google Maps app.

Google+ is a free 30.6MB download from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    No thank you.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Guess it's time for me to say good bye to Google.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Someone should create a non-social Google app, filled with articles on their wrong doing. Call it Google-

Fandroits will install it as it's free and has the name Google in it.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Makes sense for all there stuff to be in one app rather than users needing to download and update multiple apps.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member

Every time I see a new Google product announcement I think the same two things:

1) Not interested

2) Memo: Find a replacement for GMail.

• Reply 6 of 12
    "Gmail users should have no expectation of privacy."
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Can't understand all the hate... this is a much needed, nice update indeed.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by LilSmirk View Post

Can't understand all the hate...

It's Google and social networking combined. What's there not to hate?

• Reply 9 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's Google and social networking combined. What's there not to hate?

I'm way beyond these skermishes against a company or another... I can't afford wasting my precious hate on such trivial things, otherwise I wouldn't have any left when real issues come ;-)

• Reply 10 of 12

google+ is not a good app for me....

• Reply 11 of 12
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tvc-mall View Post

"blah"

www  .  tvc  -  mall  .  com

• Reply 12 of 12

While I'm not a fan of Google+, given Apple's track record with online services, I'd rather have my options open... Which is why the iOS ecosystem is less and less attractive to me. I guess it works well enough for people who can't be bothered to figure out if there are services that better meet their needs out there, but for me, I'd rather Google handle maps, email, calendar and address book stuff. I'd rather dropbox handle online storage, and while I might buy an occasional album through iTunes, I also buy physical CDs, and downloadable music from other sources. The company that tries to be all things to all people, winds up a failure. Apple needs to take a hard look in the mirror and ask itself if it really wants to be in the business of mapping the world. Apple, if you're listening, a little hint: you're a hardware company that  also makes a great OS and occasionally makes decent application software. Knock it off with the rest of this stuff.