'iPhone 5C' expected to replace iPhone 5, while Apple's iPhone 4S will live on

Comments

• Reply 41 of 110
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by windwalker View Post

What are you talking about? What is "the regular one"?

The non-retina iPad…

What are you trying to say with Apple "not trying" to sell a Retina iPad for $400?

Have they priced it at $400? Did it not sell? Did it lose them money? They haven't done anything of the sort.

They simply didn't. It's pointless to argue about why.

And yet you claim to know why. I just thought that was interesting.

Yes, with plastic and with glass iPhones, but not aluminium ones.

The iPhone 5C doesn't have an aluminum back. Do you think it does? Yes, they've done it with aluminum iPhones. The iPhone 4, 4S, and 5 are made from aluminum, too.

Not about old products he wasn't.

So you're saying Steve Jobs made no attempt to sell a cohesive lineup of products that met with his vision? That sounds contradictory to all history.

• Reply 42 of 110
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

If they are going to continue the 4S, surely it must at least have the connector upgraded?

Maybe that's why they want to keep it around.   Doesn't the iPad 2 have a 30 pin connector as well?

• Reply 43 of 110
    The non-retina iPad…
    That would be iPad 2. Or iPad mini. There is no other.
    Have they priced it at $400? Did it not sell? Did it lose them money? They haven't done anything of the sort.
    Who cares? It doesn't matter. It only matters that they didn't.
    And yet you claim to know why. I just thought that was interesting.
    I didn't. You just focused on that during your selective reading while trying to find points to pick and argue.
    The iPhone 5C doesn't have an aluminum back. Do you think it does? Yes, they've done it with aluminum iPhones. The iPhone 4, 4S, and 5 are made from aluminum, too.
    Are you drunk?
    No aluminium iPhone has ever been sold as the year old cheap model.
    Just like no Retina iPad has ever been sold as the year old cheap model.
    So you're saying Steve Jobs made no attempt to sell a cohesive lineup of products that met with his vision? That sounds contradictory to all history.
    No, but I am saying that you seem to be incapable of building a sentence without the use of a strawman fallacy.
  • Reply 44 of 110
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    That of course assumes that the analytics are correct. Many here have a stated distrust of surveys and analysts.
    I'm not arguing whether its accurate or not, just fairness in reporting.
  • Reply 45 of 110
    Completely don't believe this, but as an iPhone 5 owner as well as the iPad 3rd gen?

Would seem to fit my recent track record. ????
  • Reply 46 of 110
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

My 64Gb 4S is an excellent phone- it has served me extremely well the last 2 years. It is both fast and extremely well made.

The 5S will have shortages because all of us who never upgraded to the 5 will be doing so. It will be huge.

• Reply 47 of 110

Originally Posted by windwalker View Post

That would be iPad 2. Or iPad mini. There is no other.

Yeah, there's one more. Note that it and the 2 were sold for more than $400, too.

Who cares? It doesn't matter. It only matters that they didn't.

ONCE AGAIN: you seem to think you know WHY they didn't, which I find interesting, given that 1. You also "don't care" and 2. You don't seem to want to explain how you know that.

I didn't.

Originally Posted by wind walker View Post

Apple could not afford to sell a Retina iPad for $400, they cannot afford to sell an aluminum iPhone for $550.

woody_looking_around_while_buzz_chokes.gif

No aluminium iPhone has ever been sold as the year old cheap model.

iPhone 4. iPhone 4S.

Just like no Retina iPad has ever been sold as the year old cheap model.

Yet.

No, but I am saying that you seem to be incapable of building a sentence without the use of a strawman fallacy.

Might want to read up on what a strawman is. Asking for someone to explain how they know something ? strawman.

• Reply 48 of 110
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Totally agreed.

And then you go and do this, leaving me wondering.

And when it becomes reality, will you still be wondering?

I don't understand one bit of the confusion. Apple has a model in place that allows for 3 iPhones at 3 price points. The coming refresh is a bit more expansive this time, as Apple (for the first time ever) plans to launch more than one brand new iPhone, to fill all 3 price points.

$199 iPhone 5S 16 GB

$99 iPhone 5C 16 GB

$0 Phone 5C 8 GB

There's no room for anything else. The 5 has NO place in the world after this launch, and the 4 and 4S are seeing a higher quality, newer, and cheaper phone replace them.

This article is simply referring to the plans Apple has to continue producing the 4S through the end of 2013 to satisfied general iPhone demand. There simply won't be enough 5C to go around, you know that to be a fact. This is a big turn around that Apple is planning, and it won't be possible to just flip the switch over night. The 4S will have to remain sellable for some distributors so that they have ANYTHING to sell at all. Joe Shmoe's Radio Shack won't be getting inventory right of the bat, as per usual. They likewise can't have nothing to sell.

• Reply 49 of 110
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The cost of the shell is peanuts compared to the total cost of the phone. If everything else in the 4S is cheap (and it would be since it's 2 year old technology), then the phone would be cheap, even if the case costs a dollar or two more than the 5C.

The cost of the shell is something Apple wants to get rid of, hence the iPhone5C. So the cost is real and big enough to act upon. If Apples advertising is to be believed (and why not) the part is 'machined' into existence and this is time consuming and thus costly.

The iPhone5C is probably almost as cheap as the iPhone4S because it uses last years components (if rumors are to be believed) and components for the iPhone4S will be more expensive in the future because no one will make them. 

This makes it very likely that the iPhone4S is discontinued, but as someone mentioned, it could be that it is continued as long as it takes to fill the gap with 5C's. 

• Reply 50 of 110
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I'm not arguing whether its accurate or not, just fairness in reporting.

Oh, well I agree with that. FWIW I found several references to the report already this morning across various websites.

EDIT: and another Forbes article today quotes Juniper Research. It claims that "the smartphone market is moving away from the ultra-premium to the ultra-economy." and that several competing OS's are set to impact iOS and Android share in developing countries.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2013/08/19/in-emerging-markets-new-competition-for-apple-android/

Perhaps Apple agrees and already sees the writing on the wall. Price is becoming more important than premium build?
  • Reply 51 of 110

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Yes. Why would you complain about people taking rumor as fact and then immediately do the same?

• Reply 52 of 110
    I can see some logic in this story. The "5C" could sensibly gain from sharing components and internal design with the "5S" (same screen, same radios etc) for economies of scale, next year as well as this. It is also the case that iPhone family's LTE offering is very weak* and that's becoming a headline feature for a top-end phone: would it be sensible to produce a new "5C" phone without LTE (not least, would it be a sensible use of scarce design effort)? The "5S" can retain its superiority through construction and, assuming it happens, the fingerprint sensor.

Once the "5C" has big screen and LTE, it inevitably looks superior to a 4S. So the rumoured ranking follows. I still don't follow the lack of Lightning though; I doubt it's worth re-engineering the 4S to include it so perhaps it will be aimed at specific markets (maybe where the lack of LTE might not be an issue either?)?

*Last year's iPhone 5 was the only iPhone that could claim LTE in its headline specification but the networks were very immature so it didn't matter too much in the real world. Now it's getting more serious, people will notice an absence of LTE in the phone. At least on this side of the pond, they will also notice that iPhone 5's LTE is in the wrong radio bands so reusing iPhone 5 as a low-range offering is not an attractive option - hence strengthening the argument for common radios in "5S" and "5C".
  • Reply 53 of 110
    I won't be buying any of them in the future. I am tired of having to buy new accessories such as, docking speakers, alarm clocks, and just regular sync cables everytime Apple wants to make money. I already had to repurchase everything when they switched from the 30-pin dock in Firewire to 30-pin USB only, not doing it again with the lightning. And not to mention how far behind in technology they are lagging, the 5S is still only going to have a 4" screen, NFC doesn't sound like it. Sticking with the 30-pin dock connector would never have been a deal breaker for me and I'm guessing not for the millions of other people who had tons of them lying around their homes, cars, offices, and bags. Not keeping up with actual technology that matters is a deal breaker.
  • Reply 54 of 110
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    pmz wrote: »

I don't understand one bit of the confusion. Apple has a model in place that allows for 3 iPhones at 3 price points. The coming refresh is a bit more expansive this time, as Apple (for the first time ever) plans to launch more than one brand new iPhone, to fill all 3 price points.

$199 iPhone 5S 16 GB
    $99 iPhone 5C 16 GB
    $0 Phone 5C 8 GB

There's no room for anything else. The 5 has NO place in the world after this launch, and the 4 and 4S are seeing a higher quality, newer, and cheaper phone replace them.
    I don't think they will release two versions of this 5C.

5S 128/64/32, 5 w 16, 5C w 8 GB ( if its replacing the 4S)
  • Reply 55 of 110
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I won't be buying any of them in the future. I am tired of having to buy new accessories such as, docking speakers, alarm clocks, and just regular sync cables everytime Apple wants to make money. I already had to repurchase everything when they switched from the 30-pin dock in Firewire to 30-pin USB only, not doing it again with the lightning. And not to mention how far behind in technology they are lagging, the 5S is still only going to have a 4" screen, NFC doesn't sound like it. Sticking with the 30-pin dock connector would never have been a deal breaker for me and I'm guessing not for the millions of other people who had tons of them lying around their homes, cars, offices, and bags. Not keeping up with actual technology that matters is a deal breaker.

Cry me a river. If it's "actual tech" that matters, get an Android with its half assed implementation and spec list bragging rights. Oh and you'll have to get all new comparable android accessories to match.

And if the last change was FireWire to USB, why'd you have to replace your clock, speakers, etc. FireWire is only on the Mac in the first place.
  • Reply 56 of 110

Originally Posted by Cullen Riggs View Post

I am tired of having to buy new accessories such as, docking speakers, alarm clocks, and just regular sync cables everytime Apple wants to make money. 

Oh, no! You have to buy new things once every twelve years! What a nightmare!

It has nothing to do with money. Shut up and go away, you worthless troll.

And not to mention how far behind in technology they are lagging…

How pathetic can you people get?

• Reply 57 of 110
    gatorguy wrote: »
    That of course assumes that the analytics are correct. Many here have a stated distrust of surveys and analysts.

Analysts' analysis is speculative conjecture

Surveys are historical fact, but the sample population determines the legitimacy of the findings

I don't think anyone here is comparing this analysis with that survey and finding them equally probable. Calling the survey "analytics" does not reinforce your point, it makes you look foolish.
  • Reply 58 of 110
    5S is just the stop gap 2012 looking phone to the all new 2014 iphone6 that people are really wanting. The 5C with its new fresh look will be the best selling of the 2013 models.
  • Reply 59 of 110

5S 699          vs  5s 699

5   599               5   499

5c 499               5c 399

4s 399

4   249

If they keep the 4s, then there's no reason for not keeping the 4. if they eliminate those 2 models, the 5c most likely will bring the price to iphone 4 unlocked levels, with 4s internals, most likely another process shrink (22mm) a5, in preparation for the iwatch, similar to what was done with the ipad 2.

• Reply 60 of 110
    The S models are just the guinea pig technology testers for what will be implemented into the all new designed iphones.