Apple's new gold option for 'iPhone 5S' described as an 'elegant' shade of champagne

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The shade of gold expected to be used in a new color option for Apple's next iPhone has been described as having an "elegant" look, not a bright and flashy yellow.

iMore
Gold "iPhone 5S" mockup by Rene Ritchie of iMore.

The new "iPhone 5S" will be available with a gold back plate, chamfered edging, and a white face, according to sources who spoke with AllThingsD. One person reportedly described the color as "champagne, not ingot."

The report appears to confirm claims made by well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities last week. The new gold casing will be offered alongside the traditional black and white options Apple already offers with the iPhone 5.

Gold parts purportedly for the "iPhone 5S" have appeared online numerous times in recent months. But a new color isn't the only thing coming to the next iPhone, according to Kuo.

He also revealed that Apple will add a 128-gigabyte option to the iPhone lineup, while the "iPhone 5S" is expected to feature a larger f2.0 aperture camera lens and dual LED flash for better pictures in low-light situations. The device is also expected to sport a new A7 chip that could improve battery life with efficiency improved by 20 percent.

And the "iPhone 5S" is widely expected to feature a new fingerprint scanner hidden underneath the device's home button. That would allow the device to securely identify a user without the need to enter or memorize a password or unique code.

As for the new gold iPhone color, MG Siegler of TechCrunch has speculated that a such a device could perform particularly well in China and India, where the color is very popular. In that sense, a gold iPhone could encourage some users to choose Apple's latest high-end smartphone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 112
    nikiloknikilok Posts: 383member
    Still looks to me like a lady gaga color. Might sell well in some countries like Dubai maybe were gold relates to glamour & glitz :)
  • Reply 2 of 112

I'll celebrate with a bubbly, if true.

• Reply 3 of 112
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    nikilok wrote: »
    Still looks to me like a lady gaga color. Might sell well in some countries like Dubai maybe were gold relates to glamour & glitz :)

Some people claim that the gold color is particularly attractive in China.
  • Reply 4 of 112
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    Champagne Supernova.
  • Reply 5 of 112
    nikilok wrote: »

What still looks like a lady gaga color? You haven't even seen it yet.

Once again, hooray for Ming chi Kuo. He was right before everyone.
  • Reply 6 of 112
    jetlawjetlaw Posts: 156member
    If this is true, I would make it "Exhibit A" in the case that Apple is losing is its design sensibilities.
  • Reply 7 of 112
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member

If true, this is going to fuel more of the "iPhone owners are shallow/sheep/brand wh*res" arguments.  Not that I care, but it's such a tiresome stereotype when you're someone who actually knows a lot about technology and still prefers an iPhone.

• Reply 8 of 112
    It also makes sense if they're dumping the iPhone 5 in favor of the 5C. Better margins at that price, although those leaked casings don't look the price of an iPhone 5.
  • Reply 9 of 112
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    jetlaw wrote: »
    If this is true, I would make it "Exhibit A" in the case that Apple is losing is its design sensibilities.
    I have a sister who would buy this in a heartbeat. I have a nephew who has an iPhone and uses a gold case. MG Siegler said gold is one of the most popular after market color options for the iPhone. If Apple is releasing a gold/champagne iPhone there's a reason behind it and they've done their homework on it. All the people that think this is going to be some cheap gaudy looking device obviously don't know Apple.

9to5Mac has a nice mockup of what a champagne colored iPhone might look like. I think it looks very classy.

gold.jpg
  • Reply 10 of 112
    if you need to go out of your way to call it 'elegant' - - - - we have a problem Houston!
  • Reply 11 of 112
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetlaw View Post

Looking forward to seeing a site showing your personal design genius that's already produced more income than anything except for oil companies.

Waiting with baited breath.

FWIW, gold is a tricky color to pull off. It can indeed be garish, but it can also be absolutely gorgeous.

How's about we see what it looks like before getting all superior?

• Reply 12 of 112
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    This will swiftly become the most stolen iPhone. Looks like Lil' Wayne's mouth.

;-)
  • Reply 13 of 112
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Here's most likely what the color of the device will be:

NewImage3.png
  • Reply 13 of 112
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

If they want to go with a champagne gold color then go all the way. I don't like the white face. While using the phone all you would see is the white on the front which defeats the purpose of offering a new color. 

• Reply 15 of 112

Gold? No, thanks! LOL

• Reply 16 of 112
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

A lot of people will pick that color of the 3 options. I might not, but a lot of people will.

• Reply 17 of 112

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

If they want to go with a champagne gold color then go all the way. I don't like the white face. While using the phone all you would see is the white on the front which defeats the purpose of offering a new color. 

Having seen mockups of both (and they both look good), I'd have to say -- obviously only one data point -- that the one with the contrasting white looks classier. To quote Ireland, it looks exquisite.

• Reply 18 of 112
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Not really, the color choice gets old really fast when you have to stare at in the background of everything you look at on the screen. 

The face of the device should always maintain a black or white background to the screen. Color is nice on the sides and back.

• Reply 19 of 112
    kkqd1337 wrote: »
    if you need to go out of your way to call it 'elegant' - - - - we have a problem Houston!

Apple hasn't said ANYTHING. This is just the rumor mill circle jerking and photoshopping pics.
  • Reply 20 of 112

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disturbia View Post

Gold? No, thanks! LOL

Um... I am sure they'll have it in your color of choice.