Apple reaffirmed to debut two new iPhone models in early Sept.

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
While it doesn't offer any new information, a report from The Wall Street Journal published Monday reaffirms what most observers already expect: Apple is planning to launch two iPhone models in early September, including an entirely new low-cost option.

Render

Apple is said to have asked its primary assembly partner Foxconn to begin shipping both new models in early September. They will be a "standard iPhone" in a "metal casing" much like the current iPhone 5, as well as a "lower-cost version," reporters Lorraine Luk and Ian Sherr said.

The company is expected to hold a media event on Sept. 10 where it will likely introduce both new products. In years past, Apple has made its new iPhones available to the public the second Friday after the announcement. This year, that would peg a launch for Friday, Sept. 20.

Availability of the so-called "iPhone 5S," the expected name of Apple's next flagship handset, may be limited at launch. That device is expected to feature a fingerprint scanner embedded within its home button ? a technical achievement that could restrict initial production, according to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities.

As for the so-called "iPhone 5C," that model may be in greater supply at launch, as the device is expected to feature largely the same components as the current iPhone 5. Apple is expected to be able to cut costs on that model and also offer a variety of new color options by utilizing a plastic back instead of glass and metal.

While the "iPhone 5C" is likely to follow the way of the iPod and come in a variety of colors, the "iPhone 5S" is rumored to receive just one new color option: a champagne shade of gold that's been described as "elegant." That color is expected to join the current black and white options Apple offers with the iPhone 5.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Mmmm, I don't know... I think we could use a few more 'reaffirmation' articles to be doubley sure. /s Geesh.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Yep, it's gonna be good stuff.
  • Reply 3 of 32
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    And here I am, thinking this was a rumour site.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    This would never have happened when Steve Jobs was around. I guess the Apple manufacturers aren't that afraid of Tim Cook. If anyone had leaked real information, Jobs would have dealt with them severely. Of course, maybe the WSJ just doesn't care anymore (if they ever did) about spreading gossip. The only way to stop Foxconn from having verbal diarrhea is to stop using them but that doesn't appear possible.
  • Reply 5 of 32
    Great... Because Wall Street just reaffirms what Appleinsider, Macrumors, 9to5Mac, and The Verge cover through part leaks and community speculation.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    hydrhydr Posts: 146member

Mark my words: 5C will have a higher margin % than 5S. More $$ for aapl.

• Reply 7 of 32
    gprovidagprovida Posts: 258member
    Well Apple needs to deny these rumors if not true. This is getting way too much publicity to be allowed to stand until 10 Sept and then have it crash. If it is patently false, then someone needs to speak up, therefore, I suspect this is probably or something very much like going to happen. Details on color, fingerprint, etc. is less assured.

It would be nice if there was better independent sources, although daringfireball.net seems to be in general agreement. Again caution regarding details.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    So many rumors makes it hard to figure out if there's any truth to what they say. Don't expect to much and you won't be disappointed
  • Reply 9 of 32
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    Any word on Haswell refresh for Retina MBP's? That's all I care about.
  • Reply 10 of 32
    I think that this is a clear indication that Apple is aggressively moving into Asia and other emerging markets. Wouldn't be surprised if a deal with China Mobile is also announced soon. Hundreds of millions of new consumers will have a chance to enter the Apple ecosystem and that can only have a great affect on the stock and profits!
  • Reply 11 of 32
    thx607thx607 Posts: 14member
    rob53 wrote: »
    This would never have happened when Steve Jobs was around. I guess the Apple manufacturers aren't that afraid of Tim Cook. If anyone had leaked real information, Jobs would have dealt with them severely. Of course, maybe the WSJ just doesn't care anymore (if they ever did) about spreading gossip. The only way to stop Foxconn from having verbal diarrhea is to stop using them but that doesn't appear possible.

You mean like when the wireless keyboard, original atv, etc were leaked? Leaks happened under his watch too and other then Think Secret people got away with it. Also apple is a much higher profile company with many more suppliers.
  • Reply 12 of 32
    jacodbjacodb Posts: 23member
    I wish Foxconn would start shutting up. The rumors are hurting Apple more than it is helping them. Each year iPhone sales plummet just before the next iPhone is announced. Even Samsung is paying attention to the Apple rumors. Is it just coincidence they are rushing a smart watch to market?
  • Reply 13 of 32
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by jacodb View Post

Even Samsung is paying attention to the Apple rumors. Is it just coincidence they are rushing a smart watch to market?

Yes, given that we've no proof Apple is actually doing anything remotely similar, just like when everyone in the industry panicked and made "better" TVs after Apple was rumored to be (wasting their time) making one.

• Reply 14 of 32
    Makes you wonder if they'll update the "C" model annually. Next year would be the 6C, but would a year after be the 6SC, or just maintain the standard "C" despite incremental updates....
  • Reply 15 of 32
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

I still HATE this idea.

Then again, Tim Cook is CEO of a nearly half-trillion market cap company, and I'm a guy typing on his iMac at home, because he doesn't have a job.  *shrug*  But I still hate the idea.

• Reply 16 of 32
    Your weasel word of the day: "Reaffirm"
    Not exactly the same as [I]confirm.[/I] The two words have overlap, but different shades of meaning and authority over establishing truth. A more accurate substitute for "reaffirm" would be "reassert."

Only Apple, Inc. can [I]confirm[/I] something about their products.
  • Reply 17 of 32
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

And while we're at it, are there any reaffirmations of the Disney-buys-Apple rumors?

It's been a long time.

• Reply 18 of 32
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yes, given that we've no proof Apple is actually doing anything remotely similar, just like when everyone in the industry panicked and made "better" TVs after Apple was rumored to be (wasting their time) making one.

This is true, we can't honestly be surprised by these rumors tho, on All things D, Tim Cook said that 'Wearable Devices & TV'  "continues to be an area of great interest for us".

Apple (under SJ) danced around the iPhone the same way for a few years, I'm not saying that Apple is bringing a TV & Watch, out, just wouldn't be too shocked.

It's sparked some public interest, so this could be apples way of testing the waters before a major launch?.

When whenever there is a leak part of me still thinks its apple doing it, to build hype.

• Reply 19 of 32
    I had a thought about the "iPhone 5C". I'm going to guess that if it is indeed the new multi-colored plastic iPhone that is expected, it will be the cheapest model, and come in one storage size, most likely 16GB? (possibly 32GB?)

I thought of that for this reason:
    If it's being released in at least 5 colors (as seems to be the case based on earlier rumors), then let's imagine for a moment the logistical nightmare of 3 'sizes' (16gb, 32gb, 64gb) times five colors, times multiple carrier versions (take the current 2 for example's sake).

5 colors x 3 sizes x 2 carriers. That's at least 30 different 'models'?? Add a TDD-LTE version and that climbs to 45 different models (unless a new Qualcomm 'all-in-one' chip turns up)?

For a "cheap iPhone", I think it's possible they'll do something like the 'cheap iPod Touch', in that they'll limit the size to one choice. Say 16 or 32GB.

That narrows the number of models to 10 or 15. Much more manageable.

Just a thought. Then again, in this era of 'instant manufacturing fulfillment' of custom orders and low standing inventories, it's possible they'll offer those 45 variants, and just roll with it.

PS: When I say 'cheapest model' I mean at the bottom of the price range. I see the following line up as pretty possible: iPhone 5S (3 colors, 3 sizes 32 ~ 128GB, 2 carriers incl TDD-LTE) at the high end, iPhone 5 (at today's configurations) at the mid-range, iPhone 5C (at the single storage size) at the low-end.

Warning: extremely speculative hypothesis alert! :))
  • Reply 20 of 32
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by xjyamaha View Post

Makes you wonder if they'll update the "C" model annually. Next year would be the 6C, but would a year after be the 6SC, or just maintain the standard "C" despite incremental updates....

How about this:

2013: iPhone 5S, iPhone 5C

2014 to heat death of universe: "the new iPhone" and "the new iPhone C"

Why would Apple want to still call this year's models the 5S and 5C?  To firmly establish the "C" model as the lower cost iPhone by giving it the same "version number" as the high-end model.  But only for this year.  After that, all they'll really need is the "C."

And why would Apple want to drop the numbering scheme at some point?  Because the iPhone is the only numbered Apple product left, and the numbering scheme has been a source of confusion and controversy.  And, as you say, xjyamaha, Apple would be forced to call this year's low-end model the "iPhone 5CS," and the 2015 model the "iPhone 6CS," which is unacceptably dorky-sounding.  

Dropping the number keeps it simple, and also instantly obsoletes the previous years' models.  There would just be "the new iPhone" and "the new iPhone C," and production of older models completely stops.