Mac sales on pace to slide 5% in Apple's September quarter

Comments

• Reply 21 of 68

Might have something to do with the tragic state of Mac OS X since the iPad gained popularity. Its slow, painfully slow, unintutive thanks to porting over UI features from iOS such as scrollbars which dont appear unless you mouse over where they 'might be'. I could go on.

I used to think the Mac was great. Now wont touch one.

• Reply 22 of 68
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    I never understood Apple's anorexic obsession! As for me, I look at the front of my iMac and never, ever, see how thin it is. If they can continue this without sacrificing features, then I don't care, but there comes a point where it does not make sense. 

It's not simply aesthetics. Yes, it's a huge aspect- but the new 27" iMacs run substantially cooler than its predecessor. That was one complaint I had on my office 27" from 2010- even just being. And running simple apps a FileMaker, safari, mail, calendar- it would cook an egg. As would my iMac at home. The new ones run significantly cooler to the touch. That is a great thing about the design of the fan system. But people overlook that just to complain about something that is much less significant (like an optical drive) than heat.

Might have something to do with the tragic state of Mac OS X since the iPad gained popularity. Its slow, painfully slow, unintutive thanks to porting over UI features from iOS such as scrollbars which dont appear unless you mouse over where they 'might be'. I could go on.

So you use windows 8? Or 7? Or do you just not use a desktop/laptop because the iPad covers any tasks you need to do?

This thread is very annoying to read. Could Mac sales be down because, I don't know, they aren't needed as much anymore? In fact, I'm selling our rMBP tonight because we never use it- ever.
    You people are flat out obnoxious.
  • Reply 23 of 68
    Declining is the global trend and 5% is excellent in comparison to -20 to -30 for the entire market. Apple is one of the best performing ones beside Lenovo.
  • Reply 24 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

It's not simply aesthetics. Yes, it's a huge aspect- but the new 27" iMacs run substantially cooler than its predecessor. That was one complaint I had on my office 27" from 2010- even just being. And running simple apps a FileMaker, safari, mail, calendar- it would cook an egg. As would my iMac at home. The new ones run significantly cooler to the touch. That is a great thing about the design of the fan system. But people overlook that just to complain about something that is much less significant (like an optical drive) than heat.

A thinner product is not in and of itself aesthetic, and it could be argued that beauty not seen is beauty not appreciated. However as that is the nature of one's opinion, we'll put that aside.

Cooler would not be due to a thinner enclosure but the airflow and fan design, but more importantly, the CPU and whether it runs cooler, ironically in part due to its shrinking size. 

Again, I don't really care until such point that features suffer. One could argue the speakers have. I simply don't understand the anorexic obsession. 

• Reply 25 of 68
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluedalmatian View Post

Huh? 10.7 through 10.9 beta are, by any means, the fastest OS X releases. The scrollbar behaviour can be set as you wish in System Preferences and absolutely everything can be set to behave just as it was in 10.0 (no idea why anybody would want that, but what do I know), including one-button mousing, no gestures etc. I could go on...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Which is why they need to stop screwing around, and release the Haswell updates already. This is just beyond ridiculous at this point. Mavericks is perfectly stable, stop stalling and release them. Not every product needs fanfare and a huge event for Pete's sake.

So, you claim internal knowledge of the current yield of highest-end Haswell CPUs (keep in mind that other PC makers are selling low-end and mid-tier chips almost exclusively) and Thunderbolt-2 capable chipsets? Or do you just insist on Apple repeating the 2011 débâcle of announcing a new iMac and then not shipping it for many months?

• Reply 26 of 68
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Why is it that every time we get some analyst data about Mac sales declining people come up with all these stories about why when really it's pretty plain to see (and is visible in the Windows market as well)? Mobile products are cannibalizing laptops and in some cases desktops. Also computers last longer so people don't feel the need to upgrade. I don't think it has anything to do with bad strategy on Apple's part otherwise they'd be declining with everyone else going up. But most of the data we see is Mac sales declining less than the overall Windows market.
  • Reply 27 of 68
    sumergosumergo Posts: 215member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Do you have any clue WHY they've made it the shape it is? 

Obviously not enough to matter. Why would you even say that?

A larger case wouldn't make it cheaper. Stop trying to speak for "most people" when the claim is the opposite of reality.

Hey TS,

Are you the "Head Prefect" for AI, forever wagging your finger at all the naughty, naughty juniors in school?  Pardon me, I can't help but ask - on many topics and discussion issues - there you are - either ranting or lecturing, pointing fingers and poking people.  How about a little humor here or there, a little lightness, occasional satire perhaps (without any venom), some "nudge, nudge" insider joke and asides?

But you know: with your 26K+ posts, always on-line commitment, wild and whacky comments, I guess I finally got it.  You don't actually exist do you?  There's actually nobody with just one hand on the keyboard, as it looks - you're just a collaborative effort of the AI crew feeding posters on the forum - just trying to give us a laugh - at our expense.

Please tell me I'm wrong by providing some evidence of your true identity and some rational discussion now and again.  Or more particularly, I'd like "the AI crew" to step up and discredit my thesis regarding your existence and/or disown you.

S

• Reply 28 of 68
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,645member

Update, innovate and differentiate, Apple.   I've been waiting for several months now for iMacs and MacBook Pro updates!

• Reply 29 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sumergo View Post

Quote:

Do you have any clue WHY they've made it the shape it is? 

Obviously not enough to matter. Why would you even say that?

A larger case wouldn't make it cheaper. Stop trying to speak for "most people" when the claim is the opposite of reality.

Hey TS,

Are you the "Head Prefect" for AI, forever wagging your finger at all the naughty, naughty juniors in school?  Pardon me, I can't help but ask - on many topics and discussion issues - there you are - either ranting or lecturing, pointing fingers and poking people.  How about a little humor here or there, a little lightness, occasional satire perhaps (without any venom), some "nudge, nudge" insider joke and asides?

But you know: with your 26K+ posts, always on-line commitment, wild and whacky comments, I guess I finally got it.  You don't actually exist do you?  There's actually nobody with just one hand on the keyboard, as it looks - you're just a collaborative effort of the AI crew feeding posters on the forum - just trying to give us a laugh - at our expense.

Please tell me I'm wrong by providing some evidence of your true identity and some rational discussion now and again.  Or more particularly, I'd like "the AI crew" to step up and discredit my thesis regarding your existence and/or disown you.

S

LOL 

• Reply 30 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Update, innovate and differentiate, Apple.   I've been waiting for several months now for iMacs and MacBook Pro updates!

Innovate they did with the new Mac Pro. Differentiate is extremely hard when everyone is trying to copy your designs. Updates? Well, yeah, I'm always impatient for updates too : ) 

• Reply 31 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Why is it that every time we get some analyst data about Mac sales declining people come up with all these stories about why when really it's pretty plain to see (and is visible in the Windows market as well)? Mobile products are cannibalizing laptops and in some cases desktops. Also computers last longer so people don't feel the need to upgrade. I don't think it has anything to do with bad strategy on Apple's part otherwise they'd be declining with everyone else going up. But most of the data we see is Mac sales declining less than the overall Windows market.

Exactly.  Thank you.

• Reply 32 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teamracer View Post

LOL 

LOL?  Is that a good, bad or ugly comment, Teamracer.  Agree, dissent, just laugh?  Any words?  Talk to me.

• Reply 33 of 68
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Its slow, painfully slow, unintutive thanks to porting over UI features from iOS such as scrollbars which dont appear unless you mouse over where they 'might be'. I could go on.

But you won't, because you don't have any valid complaints in the first place.

Originally Posted by Sumergo View Post

Is that a good, bad or ugly comment, Teamracer.  Agree, dissent, just laugh?  Any words?  Talk to me.

You'd think the thumbs up would give you a clue. image

• Reply 34 of 68
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    TS=Tallest Skill = TekStud
    Hmmmmmmm?
  • Reply 35 of 68

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

TS=Tallest Skill = TekStud

Hmmmmmmm?

That deserves a thumbs up. How did I miss that?! image

• Reply 36 of 68

The only Apple products I've purchased in the last couple of years were an ATV3 and a T-Mobile iPhone 5 for the wife.  Everything else we have - 24" iMac, MacBook Air, Mac mini, Cinema Display, iPhone 4, iPad, iPod, Airport Extreme, Time Capsule ...yikes! - have all been humming along quite nicely.  

That said this Q3 and/or Q4 (depending on the refresh date) I plan on buying a new 27" iMac, an iPad mini and and iPhone 5s.  I'll be selling some of the Apple products that they'll replace (for far more money than any other brand could ever hope for BTW) and handing down the rest to family members...because they still work quite well (the Apple products that is image ).  I'd wager there are a lot of folks in similar circumstances.

In the long run I know that we've saved far more than my poor friends that are convinced that they're getting a "good deal" by not paying the mythical "Apple tax" and settling for the hardware (and software) du jour...only to have to replace it again and again and again.

• Reply 37 of 68

Quote:

But you won't, because you don't have any valid complaints in the first place.

You'd think the thumbs up would give you a clue. image

Hmm.

1.  You seem to be replying to a different thread.  I didn't see any "thumbs" in Teamracer's comments.

2.  I'll say it again, since you don't seem to be capable of taking part in a content specific dialogue.

Start quote:

"Hey TS,

S

End quote:

Hey TS, do you really have anything, of any relevance, to anyone, to say?  Or are you just the sad wanker you appear to be?

• Reply 38 of 68

Originally Posted by Sumergo

1.  You seem to be replying to a different thread.

No, your insulting comments were just deleted.

2.  I'll say it again

And it will be deleted again. My stars.

• Reply 39 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

All Macs need retina fast.

Where's the next big thing?

Everything is getting stale.

hahaha forgot your /s at the end there….

• Reply 40 of 68

Quote:

oh my. this was rich.

ok then!! go limping back to WINDOWS 8. Have fun there!   BWAAAA-hahahahahahaaa!

An anecdotal caution however: I have a colleague who is using Windows primarily. He curses and thrashes constantly over Microsoft's new OS.

After watching me comfortably and happily glide through my days on my Mac (and iPad), he has decided to buy a Macbook Air at the end of the month, and is tossing his miserable HP laptop out a window. You may have complaints about OS X, but I challenge you to seriously claim ANY alternative is more elegant and useable.

Guess I should mention he also recently trash-canned his Galaxy SII phone and picked up an iPhone 4S. Is so enamored with it, and glad he switched that he's bought an iPad Mini AND is dropping for the Air in a couple of weeks….

I think his real life experiences better reflect the fiction you invented here. But, if it really IS your lot, then… best of luck to you!