Study finds 20% of Apple iPhone users switched away from Android in past year

Comments

• Reply 21 of 96
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by dnd0ps View Post

why does that sound so familiar

Replace "Android" with "iPhone" and "Apple", where applicable.

• Reply 22 of 96
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Another one of those US centric surveys.
  • Reply 23 of 96
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Many of those basic->Samsung customers were likely uninterested in obtaining a smartphone but the device was pushed on them by a sales rep.

Just one reason Android owners don't use their aDevices as much as iOS owners.

• Reply 24 of 96
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

this survey is so biased.. they should state what kind of phones people buy who make over 150,000.

• Reply 25 of 96
    aluopaluop Posts: 57member
    This is a typical AI's feel-good-about-yourself article. Only talked about percentage. Samsung is the largest Android manufacturer, so it's expected that the majority of previous Android owners who switched to iPhone were Samsung owners.

The same logic works on the reverse too, since Apple only has a small market share overall, the majority of people who switched to Samsung is again expected not from Apple.

Apple is doing relatively well in the US, but still, look around a lot of people I know have switched. Of course, there are people who regrets switching. I do know a few of them, but they are the absolute minority, I would say only one out of ten. Outside the US, this number is even smaller.
  • Reply 26 of 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALUOp View Post

This is a typical AI's feel-good-about-yourself article. 

I agree.  AI needs to post more feel-bad-about-yourself articles. 

• Reply 27 of 96
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

What percentage of Apple and Samsung owners know which OS is more secure?

• Reply 28 of 96
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Solid ### if a reality.
  • Reply 29 of 96
    os2babaos2baba Posts: 262member

LOL!  This "survey" was conducted on 500 users per quarter.  Android activates 1.5 million devices a day.  With a sample size this small, it's barely anecdotal!

• Reply 30 of 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by fechhelm View Post

Apple is the only phone that runs iOS, Samsung is one of very many that runs android. These charts seem kind of pointless.

...until you READ the article text instead of looking at the pretty pictures.

• Reply 31 of 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by os2baba View Post

LOL!  This "survey" was conducted on 500 users per quarter.  Android activates 1.5 million devices a day.  With a sample size this small, it's barely anecdotal!

I didn't try to run a T-test on the numbers, but with a surprisingly small sample you can make some pretty accurate conclusions. 

• Reply 32 of 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

What percentage of Apple and Samsung owners know which OS is more secure?

I think some of the Android users got an expensive lesson in security recently. I think a lot more will get smarter over the next year. 

I sold an Android user some smart pills a while back. He came to me after a month or so and said, "Dang, these smart pills taste like rabbit turds." I told him, "See, you're getting smarter!"

• Reply 33 of 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by snova View Post

I agree.  AI needs to post more feel-bad-about-yourself articles. 

We have some forum posters who try to put things in balance.

Did you read the post about the likelihood Apple's new server farm near Reno was built on a possible flood plain? Or that Apple missed the boat by not making a touch sensitive stylus that could double as an ear reamer? Or that the word "colorway" was a term that should be stricken from the English language?

• Reply 34 of 96
    We should be aware of fact that a survey released last week Apple%u2019s share of the smartphone market worldwide fell to 14.2 percent in the second quarter, while Samsung's share rose to 31.7 percent. http://tiny.cc/m5v31w
  • Reply 35 of 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by pixelstuff View Post

"The study also found that buyers of Apple devices tended to have higher overall incomes than Samsung buyers. More than 60 percent of Apple buyers had incomes between $50,000 and $150,000 per year, compared to roughly 50 percent in the same range for Samsung."

I hate it when people use percentages this way.

So how many total buyers is 60% of Apple buyers? Then how many total buyers is 50% of Samsung buyers?

Also, as at least one other has mentioned, Samsung is only a portion of the Android market. I wonder how many total people (not percentages) in the $50,000 to $150,000 income bracket buy Android phones of any manufacturer. This would be much more useful information.

wait a little.

Samsung is morethan 60% of the android market. 20 % are no name chinese brands. then you have the rest, wich is irrelevant.

• Reply 36 of 96
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Mmm... Does Google count de-activations?

Maybe double, as they're returning customers ¡
  • Reply 37 of 96
    The problem being is that the upfront cost of an iPhone is too much for most people and you can get a brand new S4 with no upfront cost, that's why apple is losing it's customers to upgrade albeit a small amount. I personally wouldn't stray from apple devices from now on but I can see why people may be persuaded.
  • Reply 38 of 96
    lukemoss wrote: »
    The problem being is that the upfront cost of an iPhone is too much for most people and you can get a brand new S4 with no upfront cost, that's why apple is losing it's customers to upgrade albeit a small amount. I personally wouldn't stray from apple devices from now on but I can see why people may be persuaded.

Normally the iPhone 5 would have been $99 and 5s would be $199. Figure 5C is cheaper to build than 5. Maybe 5C will be free or $50? 4S will be for non contract $350?
  • Reply 39 of 96

I'm one of the 11%, and I'd highly recommend it.

• Reply 40 of 96
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    lukemoss wrote: »

"No upfront cost" is a silly issue. If you're paying $100 per month for your phone service, $200 every 2 years is hardly a deal-breaker for most people. But if you're really cheap, there are no-upfront-cost iPhones.
    os2baba wrote: »

Wrong. For a random sample, a survey size of 500 users per quarter yields an error margin of about 4% - so these differences are significant. If they actually combine the quarterly results to an annual result, the error margin is 2%.
    http://www.isixsigma.com/tools-templates/sampling-data/margin-error-and-confidence-levels-made-simple/

The real issue on surveys like this is not sample size. It doesn't take a very large sample to get meaningful results. The issue is ensuring that the sample is truly random. THAT is where most of them fall down.