Study finds 20% of Apple iPhone users switched away from Android in past year

Comments

• Reply 41 of 96
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

This is understandable, Android has gotten pretty stale in the last 12 months. I'd buy one if only they'd make flagship devices that can be used comfortably with one hand. Don't they know that most human beings have human being sized hands? Everyone I know and have spoken to have human being sized hands. They used to all have Android phones but since manufacturers started pushing bigger and bigger phones, they just decided it wasn't for them any more. Plus the companies behind these devices have just started litigating and not really innovating. As JK Shin said:

"It is unfortunate that patent law can be manipulated to give one company a monopoly"

Taking that quote out of context means that just one company has a monopoly on the Android profits by abusing patent law and all they're doing is really making the same device over and over. Big deal, they stretched the S3 and now we have the S4. It's like people just buy these things because of the logo. Ohhh worship the blue oval and the little green robot. Overpriced rubbish is what they're buying. Don't they know it's all just plastic?

Android is gaining market share worldwide......not stale. If the larger screen phones are not what the customer wants then why are they selling and helping Android marketshare dominate globally? I really cannot believe the highlighted part above was written on an Apple forum. I cannot believe you say the S3 is a copy of the S4 what about the iphone 3, 4 and 5 an the S versions of the same model? What about the 3, 3Gs, 4 and 4S, 5 and 5S? Plastic is bad and cheap on a phone??? Oh until Apple releases a plastic phone then it is ok?

So larger screen phones are bad? Oh only until Apple releases one then it is ok?  Next year when Apple releases the 4.5 to 4.7 inch iPhone 6....lets see if you still share the same viewpoint. Talk about following the herd and worship of a logo....... 

• Reply 42 of 96
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    geekdad wrote: »
    Android is gaining market share worldwide......not stale. If the larger screen phones are not what the customer wants then why are they selling and helping Android marketshare dominate globally? I really cannot believe the highlighted part above was written on an Apple forum. I cannot believe you say the S3 is a copy of the S4 what about the iphone 3, 4 and 5 an the S versions of the same model? What about the 3, 3Gs, 4 and 4S, 5 and 5S? Plastic is bad and cheap on a phone??? Oh until Apple releases a plastic phone then it is ok?
    So larger screen phones are bad? Oh only until Apple releases one then it is ok?  Next year when Apple releases the 4.5 to 4.7 inch iPhone 6....lets see if you still share the same viewpoint. Talk about following the herd and worship of a logo....... 

Surely you're not stupid, right? Large market share does not equal innovation. Also consider Android 2.X controls a large number of Android devices. i guess that's innovative, right? where else can you get a 3 y.o. OS on a new phone? Many consumers buy Android because of BOGO events, they are free and they are dirt cheap.
  • Reply 43 of 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Surely you're not stupid, right? Large market share does not equal innovation. Also consider Android 2.X controls a large number of Android devices. i guess that's innovative, right? where else can you get a 3 y.o. OS on a new phone? Many consumers buy Android because of BOGO events, they are free and they are dirt cheap.

I did not say anything about innovation. I think Apple is a worldwide leader in innovation! I did not say anything about BOGO sales...but to be honest the best selling Android phones are the flagship phones like the Galaxy S4 and HTC One. Read my comments again.....

• Reply 44 of 96
    tooltalktooltalk Posts: 766member

Quote:

Those 11% of Sammy's noobs must wanted NFC or humongous screens. What about the 20% of Apple newbies? So is Apple really losing customers because of the "small" screen? Then again, are the Sammy numbers for ALL android phones or just Android smartphones?

Considering that Samsung's smartphone marketshare was in a single digit in 2011 -- and I'm guessing most smartphone buyers upgrade their phones every 2 years or so -- most Android switches probably came from HTC / Moto other than Samsung.

Yep, ironically, Apple increased the size of iPhone display from 3.5" to 4" to meet the changing needs of smartphone users during this period.

• Reply 45 of 96
    bigmac2bigmac2 Posts: 639member

Quote:

Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

The big screen gimmick got his limit, the goal for Apple and any sane mfg is to get the right product with the right screen size to fit.  I can't understand why so many is drooling over the screen size spec like a performance specs.  Samsung phones grows ridiculously big, I wonder what they will come out with after their new fatsy 6inch phone.

I suppose, some people do like talking to a brick:

• Reply 46 of 96
    tooltalktooltalk Posts: 766member

Quote:

Ever heard of BestBuy's iPhone 4 BOGO?  If Apple makes only premium products,  what's with the iPhone 5C?

No doubt, Apple's innovative marketing is second to none, but Apple is really a second-class tech company.  I have yet to see a original/breakthrough tech from Apple.

• Reply 47 of 96
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Android is gaining market share worldwide......not stale. If the larger screen phones are not what the customer wants then why are they selling and helping Android marketshare dominate globally? I really cannot believe the highlighted part above was written on an Apple forum.

I reversed the talking points Android fans use against Apple whenever there's news like this to show what it looks like from the other side. As you've realised, it looks just as ridiculous the other way, which is how it appears to us when Apple is the intended target.

Apple isn't bleeding marketshare to Android, Android is growing faster because they hit lower price points. Everyone who has their own preference always says that if Apple isn't satisfying that preference, that's why they are failing or will fail. If they start to suffer on the flagship phone sales, they'll do what is needed and if that means making a bigger model, they'll do it. I would very much doubt that they'll make the size you'd prefer but as I say, they'll do what they think is necessary.
    os2baba wrote:
    LOL! This "survey" was conducted on 500 users per quarter. Android activates 1.5 million devices a day. With a sample size this small, it's barely anecdotal!

The media is trying to drive the AAPL stock up again now that the wealthy people who pay them have loaded up on low-priced shares. Prepare to be inundated with positive Apple news for the foreseeable future. Also pretty much every survey uses low samples, they pick whatever sample gives them the news they want.
    philboogie wrote:
    Maybe double, as they're returning customers

:lol: That would explain the disparity between usage and activations.

Customer walks in the store - activation.
    Customer walks out the store - activation.
    Customer loiters outside for more than 10 minutes - activation.
    Delivery driver drops off a batch of devices - all activations.
  • Reply 48 of 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

The big screen gimmick got his limit, the goal for Apple and any sane mfg is to get the right product with the right screen size to fit.  I can't understand why so many is drooling over the screen size spec like a performance specs.  Samsung phones grows ridiculously big, I wonder what they will come out with after their new fatsy 6inch phone.

I suppose, some people do like talking to a brick:

LOL...those are funny! So when Apple releases a 4.5 to 4.7 inch IP6 next year you will be the first one to admit you were wrong?

• Reply 49 of 96

Quote:

Android is gaining market share worldwide......not stale. 

Yeah, among low-income customers in low-income countries, by selling low-end smartphones. You can have that share.

(Btw, I note that the tooltalk is your friend now! Careful, you might get typecast by the company you keep..... image)

• Reply 50 of 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

Considering that Samsung's smartphone marketshare was in a single digit in 2011 .....

Considering poor countries like China and India did not know what a smartphone was then, and large segments could not afford an iPhone in 2011....

• Reply 51 of 96
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    fechhelm wrote: »
    Apple is the only phone that runs iOS, Samsung is one of very many that runs android. These charts seem kind of pointless.
    There are 16 000 different Android phones. Lord knows how many back yard hacks are pounding out how many brands . Squeezing thousands of itsy bitsy little divider lines on a graphs is a might difficult and would cause eye strain. Kind AI has concerns for our health. ;)
  • Reply 52 of 96

Quote:

LOL...those are funny! So when Apple releases a 4.5 to 4.7 inch IP6 next year you will be the first one to admit you were wrong?

You see Apple got their own route, with the iPhone 5, they made the screen bigger only in one dimension to keep the width identical to the previous iPhones.  I can be wrong, but the screen size of the next iPhone should be define by the product design and not the other way around like Samsung is doing. 

• Reply 53 of 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yeah, among low-income customers in low-income countries, by selling low-end smartphones. You can have that share.

(Btw, I note that the tooltalk is your friend now! Careful, you might get typecast by the company you keep..... image)

It would seem with the lower end plastic iPhone 5C rumored to be released in a few weeks Apple is going after this market full force in large markets like China and Asia.......

• Reply 54 of 96

Quote:

You see Apple got their own route, with the iPhone 5, they made the screen bigger only in one dimension to keep the width identical to the previous iPhones.  I can be wrong, but the screen size of the next iPhone should by define by the product design and not the other way around like Samsung is doing. 

How is Samsung defining screen size by any other means than by product design?

• Reply 55 of 96
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

I think the point he is making is that screen size should be selected by the design team on the basis of usability, availability, quality, and so on as part of the design process. The appearance is that Samsung does it differently. Some executive says "we need a 5" phone" and then simply hands that off to the design team as a requirement rather than as a variable.
  • Reply 56 of 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I think the point he is making is that screen size should be selected by the design team on the basis of usability, availability, quality, and so on as part of the design process. The appearance is that Samsung does it differently. Some executive says "we need a 5" phone" and then simply hands that off to the design team as a requirement rather than as a variable.

That is a great point.....but why say lets make a 5 inch phone? They produced a phone that rivals the iphone 5 in sales. Clearly they had the customer and and the market space in mind. If it was not what the consumer wanted then it would not have sold......

• Reply 57 of 96

Quote:

Samsung got no clue of what is the right size for a phone. Beside the growing size of their devices I found very little design change between their Galaxy line of products the screen size is the only differentiation from a model to another.   Apple in another hands have constantly keeps the same format of the iPhone with 4 radicals design.

• Reply 58 of 96

Quote:

Samsung got no clue of what is the right size for a phone. Beside the growing size of their devices I found very little design change between their Galaxy line of products like Apple is doing across the iPhone evolution. 

Some of that I completely agree with you. Too many different sizes kinda dilutes the space and fragments the brand. But TBH are all those Samsung phones?

I see the IP5 and S4 and One and not sure about the rest but maybe an Note 2 at the end.

• Reply 59 of 96

Quote:

Some of that I completely agree with you. Too many different sizes kinda dilutes the space and fragments the brand. But TBH are all those Samsung phones?

I see the IP5 and S4 and One and not sure about the rest but maybe an Note 2 at the end.

Not all of those was Samsung phones, there is a HTC and LG phone in that pictures.  The last one at the right is the new Galaxy Mega, another phablet from Samsung,

http://www.technobuffalo.com/reviews/samsung-galaxy-mega-6-3-review/

• Reply 60 of 96
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,884member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALUOp View Post

Samsung is the largest Android manufacturer, so it's expected that the majority of previous Android owners who switched to iPhone were Samsung owners.

The same logic works on the reverse too, since Apple only has a small market share overall, the majority of people who switched to Samsung is again expected not from Apple.

You don't seem to understand the point of the article.  You're referencing chart 5 which is interesting but not significant for the reason you gave.  Chart 4 is where the action is.  And seeing as developments in the smart phone market in the U.S. run ahead of the rest of the world (iOS, Android, BB and WinPhone OSes were all invented here, the most developed ecosystems are here), what happens here is important because it gives us an idea of what will be happening out there.  Not an iron clad prediction, just an idea.

And what seems to be happening here is that a lot of people who were introduced to smart phones through Android move on to iOS but the reverse isn't happening as much.