Shift in Chinese color preference occurring as Apple readies new gold option for 'iPhone 5S'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

And for those wondering about a black 5S, another image has leaked (5S is on the left, 5 on the right). Not sure if its just the lighting but the 5S back looks darker. I don't get why the logo and lettering would be silver though. Unless its an unfinished design, or is some Chinese knockoff or something.

3_0.jpg

This black colour, if legit might indicate that the black iPhone 5S might come as standard with a scratch resistant PVD or CLD coating...or it might not.

• Reply 22 of 52
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

This solid black colour, if legit might indicate that the black iPhone 5S might come as standard with a scratch resistant PVD or CLD coating which is that shade...or it might not.

I wonder if the front of it is white like an ice cream sandwich? Then the white Apple makes perfect sense.

iOS7 is always shown on a white front- just wondering? 

• Reply 23 of 52
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member

My initial reaction (thinking 'bullion' gold) was along the 'ick' lines.

But after seeing the champagne gold with white mock ups floating around, I've completely switched sides and am really leaning towards this color.

Just goes to show that taste and style are totally fluid.

• Reply 24 of 52
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    I think I'd prefer Gold/Black vs Gold/White as pictured.
  • Reply 25 of 52
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Can't find a "but but but you isheep are wrong about Google again" angle for this story?

I don't think I've ever used the term, nor would I. ;)
  • Reply 26 of 52
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I think I'd prefer Gold/Black vs Gold/White as pictured.

Gold all around FTW

• Reply 27 of 52
    Anodized 'Champagne' aluminum with matching colored plastic inserts on the back as well as the matching colored class on the front (champagne all over) would have a more cohesive design than the champagne and white mock up, IMO.
  • Reply 28 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

I wonder if the front of it is white like an ice cream sandwich? Then the white Apple makes perfect sense.

iOS7 is always shown on a white front- just wondering? 

Don't think so, the glass bits at the top and bottom of this casing are black...they usually match the front panel glass for colour.

• Reply 29 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by repressthis View Post

Anodized 'Champagne' aluminum with matching colored plastic inserts on the back as well as the matching colored class on the front (champagne all over) would have a more cohesive design than the champagne and white mock up, IMO.

As I mentioned in a previous post on this website, ivory coloured glass on the front and back would give it that cohesive look (its closer in tonality to champagne gold) the white doesn't. 

• Reply 30 of 52
    China's demand for Buicks also kept GM from cutting the brand.

Nah!

Thirty days has September,
    April, June and no wonder,
    All the rest eat Peanut Butter,
    Except for Grandma who drives a Buick.
  • Reply 31 of 52
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Champagne colored plastic inserts? Eww...no thanks.
  • Reply 32 of 52
    Nah!

Thirty days has September,
    April, June and no wonder,
    All the rest eat Peanut Butter,
    Except for Grandma who drives a Buick.

It's like a prestigious brand in China. Apparently old school Communist Party officials would drive around in Buicks.
    The brand is pretty washed up in the USA under GM's management.
  • Reply 33 of 52
    Who gives a F**K
  • Reply 34 of 52
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    It's like a prestigious brand in China. Apparently old school Communist Party officials would drive around in Buicks.
    The brand is pretty washed up in the USA under GM's management.

Have you driven one? I have - two, in fact.

Today's Buick's are great vehicles. My Enclave was comparable to the Lexus RX I replaced it with. In fact, the Buick was quieter and had fewer obvious quality issues, not to mention considerably more space and, to my mind, more comfort.
  • Reply 35 of 52
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    If anyone gets a chance, listen to Rene Ritche's podcast called Vector. The guest on the show is Ben Bajarin from Tech.pinions. Overall it's really good discussion of Apple, Google, Amazon, Samsung in the current marketplace. But towards the end they discussed the new iPhones and bring up a good point around why Apple might introduce a gold/champagne phone. Supposedly internally at Apple they refered to the iPhone 5 as a jewel and in some ways thought of it as jewelry or a fashion item. With the lower cost phone it seems Apple is attempting to segment the iPhone market and position the 5S as more of an affordable luxury item, and the 5C would be the fun, colorful, cheaper sibling. I think it makes sense. And I think for a lot of people (well maybe not tech geeks) a phone is in many ways a fashion item. That's where I see women and possibly teens being all over a champagne jewel like iPhone. And at the same time I can see young people really digging the brightly colored cheaper iPhones. Especially if Apple chooses iPod styled advertising.

Anyway I think it's smart for Apple to present the 5S as more up market and luxurious, and the 5C as playful, colorful and fun. Two distinct segments/product portfolios that at the end of the day will drive more iPhone sales (IMO).
  • Reply 36 of 52
    I don't believe the glass inserts will be black or white. They should be a similar shade of gold.
  • Reply 37 of 52
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Quote:

Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

They've been thinking about it for a long time, they vetted it thoroughly, they did focus group testing and surveys, and they felt it was worthy of their brand.

Yep...

• Reply 38 of 52
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    That green is similar in tone to Chevy's famous 50s green, Volkswagen's most desirable 60s bus and bug color, and Fiat's present 500 light green, one of the most popular, judging by the mix on the streets of L.A.

So you are still as wrong as you ever are, and just as smug about it.
  • Reply 39 of 52
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

There's more articles and comments here on a possible gold-tone iPhone than any anything else iPhone related the past couple of days. Is a possible color option really that newsworthy? image

I was thinking the same thing.....

• Reply 40 of 52
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

That green is similar in tone to Chevy's famous 50s green, Volkswagen's most desirable 60s bus and bug color, and Fiat's present 500 light green, one of the most popular, judging by the mix on the streets of L.A.

So you are still as wrong as you ever are, and just as smug about it.

Yeah except that's supposed to be the yellow. Here's the green:

BTW, black has now been spotted