Apple now allowing up to 200 test devices per iOS developer account

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2014
A change to Apple's iOS developer policies started rolling out on Friday, with the company now allowing up to 200 test devices per user account.

iOS Test

The change, news of which first circulated on Twitter, doubles the number of devices a developer can have active when testing their app. Not all accounts are showing the new feature, and Apple has yet to officially confirm the program's expansion.

Apple's rules as seen on its developer website still note only 100 unique devices may be deployed for testing per account, per year. To keep track of a developer's device count, the company records the unique device identifiers, or UDIDs, for each deployed unit. If a device is removed from testing mid-year, it counts against the total tally.

Because developers need to test their apps on multiple iPhone, iPad and iPod versions, the 100 device limit may become restrictive if units are broken or rendered unusable.

It is not currently known when Apple plans to complete the rollout, but developers can check their individual account status by visiting the online Developer Center.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13

Means developers can sell more UUID accounts!

• Reply 2 of 13

Any Developer out there, need some support, send me a shout.

I'll put her on my iPhone 5

....Looking forward to my iPhone next, shortly

• Reply 3 of 13
    Finally I can start testing on my other 100 iOS devices
    ;-)
  • Reply 4 of 13
    applguyapplguy Posts: 235member
    This is a sign Apple has many more devices coming this year. /s
  • Reply 5 of 13
    nikiloknikilok Posts: 383member
    Prolly an iWatch with a lighter dev SDK is coming too.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

This will be useful for people who need lots of beta testers.

• Reply 7 of 13
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

This is great news. 100 slots isn't enough for anyone but bedroom developers.

• Reply 8 of 13
    applguy wrote: »
    This is a sign Apple has many more devices coming this year. /s
    You don't need the sarcasm tag, because this is truer than you think.

The 100-device rule came out when Apple had 2 devices: one iPhone and one iPod touch. So you could test 80 phones and 20 iPods, for example.

Now Apple will have 3 current models of iPhone (5S, 5C, and 5), 2 models of iPod touch (with and without camera), 2 models of iPad, plus the iPad mini.

So now you're down to testing only about a dozen of each model.

If they do come out with an iWatch or TV, it's that many more variations.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    richl wrote: »
    This is great news. 100 slots isn't enough for anyone but bedroom developers.

200 isn't great either but it's a start.
  • Reply 10 of 13

It's a shame it can't be based on the number of team members you have registered in your account.  We have 45 devs.

• Reply 11 of 13
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    rob bonner wrote: »
    It's a shame it can't be based on the number of team members you have registered in your account.  We have 45 devs.

They should allow large companies to buy more device allowances subject to a perfunctory check that the company does exist and isn't just a bedroom dev.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    With currently 14 devices x OS (5 and 6), this would only become worse with iOS 7, the iPhone 5s, 5c, iPad mini 2. Read more: http://blog.mobtest.com/2012/11/time-for-apple-to-let-go-of-the-100-testing-devices-limit/
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Great... to bad the 200 device limit raise never happened. Looking in my dev control panel... i still see 100.