Apple's 'iPhone 5S' and 'iPhone 5C' to launch in Japan on Sept. 20

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Japanese publication Nikkei reported Wednesday that Apple is set to release both a next-generation "iPhone 5S," as well as a less-expensive "iPhone 5C," in the country on Sept. 20 through cellular carriers SoftBank and KDDI.

Lite
Rendering of "iPhone 5C" based on reportedly leaked schematics.

According to the business focused publication (via CNET), Apple will release the two handsets simultaneously on Sept. 20, a date that jibes with a rumor that claimed the company is planning to announce the devices at a special Sept. 10 iPhone event.

In addition to the supposed release date, the publication said Apple will debut a new gold color option for the iPhone 5S, a rumor that has quickly gained traction over the past week.

Apple's current partner carriers SoftBank and KDDI are expected to have both the iPhone 5S and 5C available on launch, while NTT DoCoMo will once again go without.

Beyond a purported launch date, not much else was provided in the way of device details. The newspaper echoed rumors and speculation regarding the inclusion of a fingerprint reader and upgraded internals for the 5S, while little was said about the 5C.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    Never mind.
  • Reply 2 of 45
    I dont think we will see Retina on C model, otherwise we may see canibalzation
  • Reply 3 of 45
    Nilkkei?! The Nikkei that has reported three times over that Docomo had signed on with Apple to sell iPhone and never admitted to being wrong later?

Yes that Nikkei.

Even Huff Post has a better Apple reporting hit average than these guys.
  • Reply 4 of 45
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    pizdec wrote: »
    Don't mean to be rude, but that's the dumbest thing I've heard. This phone would be replacing iPhone 4, 4S and possibly 5, all of which have a retina display. If Apple was against cannibalization they wouldn't be selling the 4 and 4S right now.
  • Reply 5 of 45
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Don't mean to be rude, but that's the dumbest thing I've heard. This phone would be replacing iPhone 4, 4S and possibly 5, all of which have a retina display. If Apple was against cannibalization they wouldn't be selling the 4 and 4S right now.

I'm pretty sure pizdec was yanking your chain.

• Reply 6 of 45
    dunks wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure pizdec was yanking your chain.
    Huh? Some people are stupid enough to believe this. Heck Gene Munster thinks Apple will leave Siri off this phone.
  • Reply 7 of 45
    applguyapplguy Posts: 235member
    Cannibalization is fine if you are moving them to a higher margin product. It's also fine if the other option is lost sales. Better to get something than nothing.
  • Reply 8 of 45

Well, looks like we already know what Apple was waiting for for their new iphone line with a bigger screen (please, don't say that it isn't needed when all other premium smartphones have a bigger screen, and together they easely outsell the iphone, especially out of the US. So a new iphone line, together with the current 4" line could easely see iphone sales doubling on the premium segment!)

http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/21/4642900/lg-announces-5-5-inch-smartphone-lcd-with-record-pixel-density

• Reply 9 of 45
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    Well, looks like we already know what Apple was waiting for for their new iphone line with a bigger screen (please, don't say that it isn't needed when all other premium smartphones have a bigger screen, and together they easely outsell the iphone, especially out of the US. So a new iphone line, together with the current 4" line could easely see iphone sales doubling on the premium segment!)

http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/21/4642900/lg-announces-5-5-inch-smartphone-lcd-with-record-pixel-density

I don't get your fascination with larger screens. The iPhone 5 screen is perfect for 90% of mobile task users need.

For the other 10% of tasks a device like an iPad or MacBook would be better suited than a 5 inch smartphone anyway.

Anyway I don't think Apple will have a bigger screen iPhone unless they completely reimagine the form factor, which may happen next year or may not happen for a few years.
  • Reply 10 of 45
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Sure...

Nilkkei?! The Nikkei that has reported three times over that Docomo had signed on with Apple to sell iPhone and never admitted to being wrong later?

Yes that Nikkei.

Even Huff Post has a better Apple reporting hit average than these guys.

I remember when they reported that. Maybe Apple did have talks with DoMoCo and they fell through again. Or maybe DoMoCo is signed in and the Nikkei is wrong this time?
  • Reply 11 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by pizdec View Post

While I disagree with this in that a non-retina screen would mean another screen resolution the developers would have to support as there is no 4" non-retina screen in the iOS world, but what I do agree with is the sentiment that the 5C and 5S at this point seem too similar (some we know, but many are assumptions this community makes). Apple would never sell similar (appearing to the masses) products at different price points (actually, most companies would never do this) because they'd risk losing sales of the higher priced phone as well as entrenching in the minds of the masses that the price of the iPhone is the price of the 5C, and once that price is decreased in the minds of the public, you can't raise it again. Apples knows this, and so I think we don't have all the facts about these 2 phones, despite the certainty of some that we do, I think the announce event could be very surprising, certainly enlightening.

• Reply 12 of 45
    I'm still curious how Apple positions the 5C or whatever the call it. If its not cheap enough will it solve the issues in emerging markets? And if Apple does go cheaper will there be enough differentiation for people to buy the flagship model? Or will it be no different than today with the 4 and 4S? I think if Apple gimps the 5C (no Siri, non retina, etc) just to protect the 5S that could be a disaster. Unless the 5C is for a specific market and wouldn't be sold in North America or Europe. But I have a hard time believing Apple would restrict where it's sold. September 10 will be interesting.
  • Reply 13 of 45
    While I disagree with this in that a non-retina screen would mean another screen resolution the developers would have to support as there is no 4" non-retina screen in the iOS world, but what I do agree with is the sentiment that the 5C and 5S at this point seem too similar (some we know, but many are assumptions this community makes). Apple would never sell similar (appearing to the masses) products at different price points (actually, most companies would never do this) because they'd risk losing sales of the higher priced phone as well as entrenching in the minds of the masses that the price of the iPhone is the price of the 5C, and once that price is decreased in the minds of the public, you can't raise it again. Apples knows this, and so I think we don't have all the facts about these 2 phones, despite the certainty of some that we do, I think the announce event could be very surprising, certainly enlightening.
    Yeah I have some of the same thoughts as you. If you look at the iPad mini Apple didn't purposely make an inferior product to try and protect the full size iPad.. Not having retina I think was more a technical issue (battery life, thickness and weight, availability of the right displays etc.) than purposely leaving it out for cannibalization fears. And not having a retina display meant they didn't need to use the latest CPU/GPU inside. Alwo many of the design features of the mini are coming to the full size iPad.

So the question with the flagship and lower cost phone is which one gets the most differentiation? Obviously the lower cost model has a different casing. But aside from that will the flagship be a big improvement over iPhone 5 or will the lower cost model have some features left out or the internals much inferior to the flagship?
  • Reply 14 of 45
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    applguy wrote: »
    Cannibalization is fine if you are moving them to a higher margin product. It's also fine if the other option is lost sales. Better to get something than nothing.

Exactly. I wonder why people are so quick to forget one of the key lessons that Jobs taught. Cannibalize your own products or someone else will.
    http://socialfloss.com/28/steve-job’s-lesson-cannibalize-your-own-products
  • Reply 15 of 45
    The 5C will only be available in a 16GB model with less RAM, CPU and GPU performance.

The 5S will come in 32, 64 and 128GB capacities.

Both will have the same camera and finger scanning tech.
  • Reply 16 of 45
    The 5C is aimed at people who are not techies. The specs are not what they are concerned with. They want an iPhone in pretty colors, takes great selfies and has that new finger scanner everyone is talking about.
  • Reply 17 of 45
    The 5S is the premium/flagship/prestige product.
    This will be reflected in the build quality, specs and price.
    This is the iPhone aimed at those who care about RAM, CPU, GPU and those that can afford luxury goods.
    They may not know what a GPU is but they have the money and only want the best.
    While both models appeal to the fashionable through the use of color, the 5S is for those willing to pay a premium for style.
  • Reply 18 of 45
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I'm still curious how Apple positions the 5C or whatever the call it. If its not cheap enough will it solve the issues in emerging markets? And if Apple does go cheaper will there be enough differentiation for people to buy the flagship model? Or will it be no different than today with the 4 and 4S? I think if Apple gimps the 5C (no Siri, non retina, etc) just to protect the 5S that could be a disaster. Unless the 5C is for a specific market and wouldn't be sold in North America or Europe. But I have a hard time believing Apple would restrict where it's sold. September 10 will be interesting.
    I think it's just a calculation on their part, but one that we don't have the numbers to guess at right now. It seems clear to me that this isn't a phone for a particular market like non-North American markets or specifically China markets, but instead a replacement for the "old" way of selling the previous years models at a discount. It will sell world-wide and replace those products and that strategy.

It also seems clear (to me at least) that they are at the tipping point right now of a decline in market share, and also that an increase in market share at exactly this juncture would tie up the entire market for them with a bow and consolidate their future prospects. So while Apple traditionally doesn't care about market share, I think this is the historical point at which they change that perception and do just that. When you add in the fact that they have been trying to crack the prepaid market for years now with only limited success, I think the iPhone 5c has to be an answer for all three of those things.

For that reason, it should be priced as dirt cheap as they can possibly make it, probably in the $350 or even $300 range. Whether they can achieve that or not, only they know. Whether they have the bravery to do it, even if its possible, who knows? I think if its priced higher than that, then it's a fail, and it will be either too little too late, or you will see the iPhone 6c try to achieve that price the following year. It also makes sense that once they go cheap, and the market responds, that they will have strong competition at that price point and we may see a sort of race to the bottom or at least towards ever lower prices and ever lower margins.
  • Reply 19 of 45
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member

I am going to laugh so hard when the 5C is more expensive than the 5S rather than less as so many seem to be predicting. 

• Reply 20 of 45

I'm looking fwd to the 5c. Perhaps a bit nostalgic on my part. I remember back in the day coveting the 30' Apple monitor and the Apple Aluminum Tower. Had to get the orig. 20" intel iMac. (Still running btw) Really liked the MBP's but had to get the white intel MB. Love the Extreme, had to get the Express. 

I did order an original iPhone for myself and my daughter, though.

I could really dig on a white 5c, a white iPad Mini, and an MBA, a new TimeCapsule and a new ATV. I'll get all that for the less than half of my tech kit of just 5 years ago.

Bring on the 5c!

P.S. Real quick: I remember when Apple first entered Japan with the iPhone and now they are the primo product there. Good for Apple! :)