First 7 'Steve JobsSchools' open in Netherlands, tout education through iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by andre402 View Post

This article is not about the US. It's about Denmark. They speak Dutch.

Its actually The Netherlands were they speak Dutch and not Denmark.

In Denmark they speak Danish.

And Amsterdam is the Capital of The Netherlands.

• Reply 22 of 53
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    andre402 wrote: »

This article is about iPads with specialized apps ands settings (incl. disabled apps).

This article is not about the US.

Where did you get your education from? The US? Seems like a disaster to me.

Well, the same would be true for you. Where did you learn that they speak Dutch in Denmark?
  • Reply 23 of 53
    ezduzitezduzit Posts: 158member

first of all most dutch people speak english,  usually better than americans.  my english comes with a pedigree.

schools by apple is probably a great idea.  when the apple stores opened,  it was generally

frowned upon.  that is until it blew the cover off the ball.  we need a repeat.

• Reply 24 of 53
    Are you for real??
    :???:

As real as a heart attack, my doubting friend.
    Here, allow me to illustrate ....

[raises hand]
    HEIKE: Mr. Gijs! Mr. Gijs!

[turns to face class]
    MR. GIJS: Yes, Heike?

Mr. Gijs, I don't wish to continue today's Islamic Indoctrination Awareness lesson.
    I wanna play "Candy Crush"!
    [class murmurs in assent]

[nervously tugs on shirt collar]
    Well, Heike, as you know, the Netherlands Ministry Of Education has deemed iPads worthy of more educational per-- ....

To blazes with school work!
    I've a FaceBook status to update!

Again, Heike, I think we should better spend our time learning more about our friends of the Muslim faith,
    and, at the same time, we'd be enriching our heretofore shortsighted outlook on th--

Look, Mr. Gijs, I'll break, break, break it down for ya.
    My major premise is an iPad is primarily an entertainment device.
    My minor premise is we're all kids here -- an entertainment-loving demo if there ever was one!
    So my conclusion is, rather than engaging in more eriudite persuits like finding out the average annual bauxite production of Qa'atar,
    we're more than likely gonna end up playing "Pong With Friends". QED.

Why Heike, where'd you learn about Venn logic deconstruction?

Certainly not on this iPad, that's for sure!
    Oh, Heike -- you're incorrigible!

No, Mr. Gijs -- I'm in a classroom!
    [class laughs uproriously]
    Y' know, you're right?
    Tell ya what class -- what say we all have some waffles & oliebols and call it a day, hmm?

[classroom erupts in cheers & hoots]
    [slicks back cowlick & adjusts tie knot]
    Still got it ....

So you see, having iPads in a classroom setting is a mistake.
    When I went to school, y'know what pads we had?
    Notepads, that's what!
    And the teacher weren't no "app provider", neither!
    These kids today, with thier rock 'n roll music & thier crazy dances ....
  • Reply 25 of 53
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    richl wrote: »
    Learning the value of a dollar isn't going to help Dutch kids much.

Yeah, that would be pound-foolish ¡

andre402 wrote: »
    ipadcary wrote: »
    Ahhh, I don't like it.

First of all, how're the kids gonna understand that guy pointing at a Sharp TV?

He's speaking Dutch, right?

Danish. Dutch in The Netherlands, or Holland, as many Americans say.
    Plus, it's August.

I thought school starts in September after Labor Day?

This article is not about the US.

What has that to do with anything? Labor Day is just a day in the year, and can be used as reference to the date. Now, not everyone in The Netherlands knows when labor day is, but geez.
  • Reply 26 of 53
    Flashy site, this O4NT, but it is short on educational substance. What I would want to see is the curriculum plans, not just the technology. I'd want to see the teacher professional development material. Then, of course, I'd want to see how the process is working.

However much some would like to see this approach work, the development of full educational curriculum based on ipad apps would be a big challenge and long term project. Though it now seems forever that we've been using iPads, it's been less than 4 years, and that is a minuscule timeframe in which to implement such a change.
  • Reply 27 of 53
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,258member

Yikes...

I love my iPad, and I think it is certainly possible that the iPad could be a great educational tool. 

But they should really conduct a rigorous evaluation of this before they scale it up. (maybe they did, but I doubt it -- Europeans are surprisingly hostile towards rigorous evaluations of social/educational programs). 

• Reply 28 of 53
    ... and not only that, but Apple really really needs to upgrade the "fit & finish" of an iPad.
    That more-slippery-than-oil aluminium back has simply got to go!
    A build somiliar to a Kindle -- and in Kindle graphite color, too! -- would be ideal.

And instead of that glass that breaks if you sneeze too hard, how about some milspec hardened plastic?
    What about that, huh?
  • Reply 29 of 53
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    blastdoor wrote: »
    Yikes...

I love my iPad, and I think it is certainly possible that the iPad could be a great educational tool. 

But they should really conduct a rigorous evaluation of this before they scale it up. (maybe they did, but I doubt it -- Europeans are surprisingly hostile towards rigorous evaluations of social/educational programs). 

Yes, "rigorous evaluations" of educational programs are an American specialty. Education, on the other hand . . .
  • Reply 30 of 53
    I would have liked to know something about the involvement of Jobs (his wife or estate) in all this. They can't have just appropriated his name without at least permission--buying a bunch of iPads doesn't confer naming rights. Is Laurene actively involved, or do they just have her blessing? Incomplete story.

I also wonder if the fact that his yacht was built there factors into the connection. And by the way, what happened to the yacht?
  • Reply 31 of 53
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    I saw a variation of this on set over the past couple of days. School here in LA has already started for a couple of tracks and we have three kids filming on the show I'm working on. One of them is part of an iPad pilot program and was able to FaceTime with his class during part of his school hours to meet his classmates etc. The producers are even going to let him do a little 'how a TV show is filmed' interactive with his class over the next few days. This will help him to socially join with the class and not just be the kid that is sometimes there and then disappears.

And since the lessons are on the iPad he is following right along with his classmates and can ask questions from his real teacher and not the studio teacher who might be different each day and is working with all three of them.
  • Reply 32 of 53
    I do hope iPadCary is wisecracking, otherwise it's another case of an American who doesn't know that there are any other countries in the world. This idea maybe unusual it maybe far-reaching but isn't that the same thinking behind the Pilgrim Fathers to found the "Greatest Nation in the World"?
  • Reply 33 of 53
    I wonder if they're going to open a Steve Jobs School in ShenZhen China, and maybe offer a gym class where the kids [B]leap off buildings into nets.[/B]
  • Reply 34 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnd0ps View Post

But Android!

.... is full of malware.

http://www.informationweek.com/mobility/security/android-malware-continues-to-surge/232601868

• Reply 35 of 53
    narnio wrote: »
    I wonder if they're going to open a Steve Jobs School in ShenZhen China, and maybe offer a gym class where the kids leap off buildings into nets.

• Reply 36 of 53
    pazuzu wrote: »
    I wish Nanny Bloomberg with his billions would donate these to NYC schools to up their grade testing scores- they're abysmal.

Ahh... My Dad attended HS in NYC -- Peter Styvesant High School

Alma Mater:

? By the shores
           of stinky Harlem,
        There she sits
           disgustingly ?

To the tune of Cornell University Alma Mater:

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=cayugas+waters+singing+cornell+alma+mater&mid=01DBC98C1E4DE91B3EDF01DBC98C1E4DE91B3EDF&view=detail&FORM=VIRE1
  • Reply 37 of 53
    Ahh... Nirvana:

Cruising down the Brahmaputra...  Studying the Kama sutra...  on a 12" iPad :smokey:
  • Reply 38 of 53

Hay, whassup with all the reference to The Netherlands today ¿

(PS: Stuyvesant)
  • Reply 39 of 53
    philboogie wrote: »

Hay, whassup with all the reference to The Netherlands today ¿

(PS: Stuyvesant)

Just an opportunity to be a smartass...

I, Actually, think that iPads in education at all levels is a fantastic use of technology... When done right!

The real biggie is supposed to be the Fatih Project in Turkey:

http://fatihproject.com/?p=27

I wonder what is happening... the $4.5 Billion contract was supposed to be awarded by now???
  • Reply 40 of 53
    passat2.1 wrote: »
    I do hope iPadCary is wisecracking, otherwise it's another case of an American who doesn't know that there are any other countries in the world. This idea maybe unusual it maybe far-reaching but isn't that the same thinking behind the Pilgrim Fathers to found the "Greatest Nation in the World"?

Mmmm.......

There are many who would challenge that the Pilgrims founded the US:

The following is list of the 15 oldest continuously inhabited cities in the United States.

1) Saint Augustine, Florida
    • Year of Founding: 1565

1) Jamestown, Virginia
    • Year of Founding: 1607

2) Santa Fe, New Mexico
    • Year of Founding: 1607

3) Hampton, Virginia
    • Year of Founding: 1610

4) Kecoughtan, Virginia
    • Year of Founding: 1610

5) Newport News, Virginia
    • Year of Founding: 1613

6) Albany, New York
    • Year of Founding: 1614

7) Jersey City, New Jersey
    • Year of Founding: 1617

8) Plymouth, Massachusetts
    • Year of Founding: 1620

9) Weymouth, Massachusetts
    • Year of Founding: 1622

10) Dover, New Hampshire
    • Year of Founding: 1623

11) Gloucester, Massachusetts
    • Year of Founding: 1623

12) New Amsterdam, New York
    • Year of Founding: 1625

13) Salem, Massachusetts
    • Year of Founding: 1626

14) Lynn, Massachusetts
    • Year of Founding: 1629

15) Charleston, Massachusetts
    • Year of Founding: 1629

http://geography.about.com/od/unitedstatesofamerica/a/oldest-cities-united-states.htm

And, Let's not forget the Huguenots:

Early emigration[edit source | editbeta]
    See also: France Antarctique and French Florida

Etching of Fort Caroline.

The first Huguenots to leave France sought freedom from persecution in Switzerland and the Netherlands.[citation needed] A group of Huguenots was part of the French colonisers who arrived in Brazil in 1555 to found France Antarctique. A couple of ships with around 500 people arrived at the Guanabara Bay, present-day Rio de Janeiro, and settled in a small island. A fort, named Fort Coligny, was built to protect them from attack from the Portuguese troops and Brazilian Native Americans. It was an attempt to establish a French colony in South America. The fort was destroyed in 1560 by the Portuguese, who captured part of the Huguenots. The Portuguese threatened the prisoners with death if they did not convert to Catholicism. The Huguenots of Guanabara, as they are now known, produced a declaration of faith to express their beliefs to the Portuguese. This was their death sentence. This document, the Guanabara Confession of Faith, became the first Protestant confession of faith in the whole of the Americas.[citation needed]

A group of Norman Huguenots under the leadership of Jean Ribault in 1562 established the small colony of Fort Caroline in 1564, on the banks of the St. Johns River, in what is today Jacksonville, Florida. The colony was the first attempt at any permanent European settlement in the present-day continental United States, but the group survived only a short time. In September 1565, an attack against the new Spanish colony at St. Augustine backfired when the French ships were hit by a hurricane on their way to the Spanish encampment at Fort Matanzas. Hundreds of French soldiers were stranded and surrendered to the numerically inferior Spanish forces led by Pedro Menendez. Menendez proceeded to massacre the defenseless Huguenots, and the Spanish wiped out the Fort Caroline garrison.[37]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huguenot

It appears that religious persecution has some unintended consequences.