Plastic shell purportedly for Apple's 'iPhone 5C' shines in durability test

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A plastic rear shell, alleged to be a production part destined for Apple's rumored low-cost "iPhone 5C," has appeared in a new video report out of Taiwan, where it was measured and even put through a scratch resistance test.

The shell, procured by Taiwanese blog Apple Daily (via MacRumors), is subjected to a cursory durability test by shaking it in a plastic bag alongside coins and car keys, then forcefully scratching at the surface with the tip of a key. The shell comes out of the test mostly unscathed, a good sign for the durability of the "iPhone 5C" if the part is indeed legitimate.

The report indicates that the shell sports a hardness equivalent to an "8H" grade on the pencil hardness test, the second-hardest grade given. The pencil hardness test is a standard measure of a material's scratch resistance.

While it is plausible that the shell in the report could be a legitimate Apple part, there are some inconsistencies ? such as the lack of regulatory markings below the "iPhone" name ? that could indicate it may be a well-made fake. Schematics for the "iPhone 5C" have been circulating among the Chinese accessory manufacturers since at least early June.

A purported "iPhone 5S" back plate also makes an appearance in the report, sporting a redesigned flash enclosure for the rumored dual LED flash. But that part features a blue back, suggesting it may not be authentic.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 121
    Heh heh, he said "pencil hardness test."
  • Reply 2 of 121
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    OK let me see if I got this right. The rumored case for the rumored iPhone 5C is rumored to be highly scratch resistant.
  • Reply 3 of 121
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

I am still against this idea.

• Reply 4 of 121
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member

Realistic nailed it.

• Reply 5 of 121

What's next, benchmarks? 

• Reply 6 of 121

Notice again how there is not FCC labeling? 

• Reply 7 of 121

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

I am still against this idea.

What idea? Any idea? All ideas?

• Reply 8 of 121

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

Notice again how there is not FCC labeling? 

Notice how the article specifically discusses the lack of regulatory labeling?

• Reply 9 of 121

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

I'm against a plastic, cheap iPhone.

• Reply 10 of 121
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

I have a solution for you... dont buy it.

• Reply 11 of 121

Quote:

Notice how the article specifically discusses the lack of regulatory labeling?

Nope, did not get down that far. image

• Reply 12 of 121

Quote:

Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

OK let me see if I got this right. The rumored case for the rumored iPhone 5C is rumored to be highly scratch resistant.

More like "The rumored case for the rumored iPhone 5C is highly scratch resistant."  If its a fake then maybe Apple should consider using that fake.

• Reply 13 of 121

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I have a solution for you... dont buy it.

I understand that, and I won't buy it.

But I think it's a bad move for Apple.  It's sucking into a race to the bottom.  Apple is trying to be Samsung.  What's the point?

• Reply 14 of 121

Quote:

Being as only two concepts were in the article, first the plastic cover, the other its durability, it should not take much to discern which he was against. 

• Reply 15 of 121
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Simple. Then don't buy it.

I think it will be the best selling iPhone by a very wide margin. It will be far more affordable but not cheaply built. It will likely have the same internals as the 5 which is a fast phone and no need to buy a case which can also be a selling point for many. 

And since when was aluminum consider to be a premium or expensive material? 

• Reply 16 of 121

Quote:

But I think it's a bad move for Apple.  It's sucking into a race to the bottom.  Apple is trying to be Samsung.  What's the point?

I dont think Apple is racing to the bottom with this, its the opposite. They are adapting the old models to the mid range market segment and they will probably have better margins than just selling old models.

Its not going to be a wow product, but its very clever for there revenue and profits. The 5C will do fine, its the 5S that worries me.

• Reply 17 of 121

Quote:

Aaron, just stop now. I tried and tried for the longest time to share exact ideas as yourself and I have only received flames for it. 

I agree that moving back into plastic products will reduce the image of Apple (as the only plastic products Apple has is the Airport), and that an alternative would be best. Such as metal, but not as highly finished as the current line thus reducing manufacturing cost more so than material cost. 

But you will only get hate for such dissenting opinions. 

• Reply 18 of 121

Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Its not made for you.  Not everyone on the planet can afford a $700 phone.

A $400 phone made out of plastic with an outstanding OS, fast CPU, retna screen is an awesome combo. Dont be a snob.

Sorry, but I don't see that way.  Apple has an appreciation of accomplishment.  Making a cheap, plastic phone is not filling that.

• Reply 19 of 121
    But will it blend?
  • Reply 20 of 121

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

Aaron, just stop now. I tried and tried for the longest time to share exact ideas as yourself and I have only received flames for it. 

I agree that moving back into plastic products will reduce the image of Apple (as the only plastic products Apple has is the Airport), and that an alternative would be best. Such as metal, but not as highly finished as the current line thus reducing manufacturing cost more so than material cost. 

But you will only get hate for such dissenting opinions. 

Fair enough.