First 7 'Steve JobsSchools' open in Netherlands, tout education through iPad

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Even besides the iPad the video gives me good vibes about the Dutch educational system in general. I know the French and German systems are very good.

• Reply 42 of 53
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

They can learn how one should not dig yourself into such a large hole that you're unlikely to ever get out of it ...

Then I guess one just learns to live there...below sea level. Seems like they dug themselves quite a hole.

• Reply 43 of 53
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Even besides the iPad the video gives me good vibes about the Dutch educational system in general. I know the French and German systems are very good.

The schools are funded through O4NT, a private foundation. Private schools in the US are pretty good too. American universities seem to have a solid reputation as well. It is no wonder so many foreign students want to study in the US.

• Reply 44 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Danish. Dutch in The Netherlands, or Holland, as many Americans say.

I know it is confusing, but most people in the Netherlands do not live in 'Holland'. See http://bit.ly/17396Or ;)

• Reply 45 of 53
    sidstesidste Posts: 25member
    Great! Now kids can stay glued to a screen all day and not interact with anyone so we can create a more socially disfunctional society.
  • Reply 46 of 53
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by sidste View Post

Great! Now kids can stay glued to a screen all day and not interact with anyone so we can create a more socially disfunctional society.

Yeah, that's not even relevant.

• Reply 47 of 53
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    basjhj wrote: »
    I know it is confusing, but most people in the Netherlands do not live in 'Holland'. See http://bit.ly/17396Or ;)

But Holland (north and south) is the most populous region of the Netherlands.

Actually, I hear a lot fewer people calling the country Holland then I did when I was young. Maybe it's an increase in globalization or maybe just the circles I am in, but most people seem to use the correct name now.
  • Reply 48 of 53
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Flashy site, this O4NT, but it is short on educational substance. What I would want to see is the curriculum plans, not just the technology.

Beyond the government required goals there is no curriculum. That's part of the point. Each kid has a custom plan. Based in his/her interests, skills etc. So long as they learn what they are supposed to learn how they get there is between the kid, parents and teachers.
  • Reply 49 of 53
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    sidste wrote: »
    b

Hallways between classes, lunch time, recess.

Just like they do now, when they aren't sitting with eyes on the teacher or assigned to quietly read etc
  • Reply 50 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gieske View Post

Its actually The Netherlands were they speak Dutch and not Denmark.

In Denmark they speak Danish.

And Amsterdam is the Capital of The Netherlands.

Beat me to it. It's funny when someone is "schooling" somebody else and gets it completely wrong like that. image

"Nederland" is most correct (a lot of people call it "Holland" not realizing that's just a province within the Netherlands). The capital is indeed A'dam, but the 'seat of government' is in Den Haag (The Hague)… people sometimes confuse that as the capital since the government operates there mostly...

I spent a year there back in the early 90s. It was a pretty awesome place to live. The Dutch are generally fairly forward thinking. I love their method of governance, schooling, and social perspective in general. Very hands people when it comes to those things. Not surprising then that they remain among the wealthiest (per capita) countries in Europe.

This approach to learning sounds like a fantastic way to go about it. I'll be very interested to see how their curriculum evolves.

• Reply 51 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Beyond the government required goals there is no curriculum. That's part of the point. Each kid has a custom plan. Based in his/her interests, skills etc. So long as they learn what they are supposed to learn how they get there is between the kid, parents and teachers.

I think it's an excellent regime. The children get the standardized "prerequisite" stuff needed for a core education, but then are more focused on developing their OWN talents and interests. I've always believed this is the right approach. Our 'cookie cutter' approach to purely standardized education isn't getting us ahead.

• Reply 52 of 53
    nairbnairb Posts: 253member

Use of tablets are more widespread in the Netherlands than this. My daughter got an iPad half way through last school year. Only group one (first grad of secondary school) got them, which made higher grades quite jealous.  They will continue to work with iPads for the remainder of secondary education. Next school year, which begins in 2 weeks, the new group one will also get them (school years is staggered by region in the Netheralnds so that there are times in summer holidays that not everyone is on holiday. Also the whole country is not driving or flying to and from their holiday destination at the same time - useful when you have so many people in such a small area and only one really international and two semi-international airports.)

She used to ride to school with 8 to 10 books each day. Now she just throws her iPad and a notebook in her bag and is ready to go.

• Reply 53 of 53
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    nairb wrote: »
    Use of tablets are more widespread in the Netherlands than this. My daughter got an iPad half way through last school year. Only group one (first grad of secondary school) got them, which made higher grades quite jealous.  They will continue to work with iPads for the remainder of secondary education. Next school year, which begins in 2 weeks, the new group one will also get them (school years is staggered by region in the Netheralnds so that there are times in summer holidays that not everyone is on holiday. Also the whole country is not driving or flying to and from their holiday destination at the same time - useful when you have so many people in such a small area and only one really international and two semi-international airports.)

She used to ride to school with 8 to 10 books each day. Now she just throws her iPad and a notebook in her bag and is ready to go.

Is her school part of O4NT, or located in a different city other than the 6 mentioned in the article? If not, it will be interesting to see how many more schools/cities use iPads.