Microsoft now giving away Surface RT tablets to boost Bing use in schools

Comments

• Reply 61 of 94
    djames4242 wrote: »
    That worked fairly well for Apple a decade or two ago. Many schools had Macs knowing that if that's what kids grow up learning, that's what they'll want to stick with when they buy (or ask their parents for) their own computers.
    Yep, That's what I loved, and also the fact that a 2000 version of a Mac is better than half the 2013 PCs.

Microsoft needs to accept that surface has failed, giving them away to promote there web browser required, might end them up being trashed. This is sad to see that they are practically throwing money out the door.
  • Reply 62 of 94

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"The music department needs some new percussion instruments. Why not grab a few Surfaces and keyboards to work as clackers for them?"

Don't forget the Modern Dance class!

• Reply 63 of 94

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

Ship them to poor countries, like mine, Guinea-Bissau in West Africa. It will give them Good Publicity. The Guardian ( the new Samsung Rumor site ) and The BBC will use it to bash Apple.

And just like our genetically modified crops, they'll be rejected as an unwanted product.

• Reply 64 of 94
    nikiloknikilok Posts: 383member

Ever hear of the X-Box? Not to sound snarky but that's actually the best product Microsoft makes these days and from personal experience it's HIGHLY addictive.

Xbox is successful coz the only other competitor they got is play station. Sony isn't my idea of innovative.
  • Reply 65 of 94

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

Ever hear of the X-Box? Not to sound snarky but that's actually the best product Microsoft makes these days and from personal experience it's HIGHLY addictive.

Okay, I plead guilty.  Though I didn't know X-box was addictive.  It's some kind of game system, right?  I've never even seen one.  I guess they were successful in some quarters.  (Maybe all except mine.) 

• Reply 66 of 94
    Why would they "target" LAUSD if LAUSD already inked a deal for iPads with Apple. Didn't Microsoft get the memo? What am I missing on this plan?

Trophy kill?
  • Reply 67 of 94
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

The *games* are highly addictive. If Surface had a killer function/App, they'd be selling like...hahaha. No one wants a surface but dancers who give PowerPoint presentations to their friends.
  • Reply 68 of 94

I had one loaned to me for a month; originally it was more-or-less "given" to me, so I brought it home with me.

I turned it on one time; it took forever just to figure out how to do the simplest things. Windows 8 is such an awful OS in every respect; instead of making things simpler, they slapped a new UI on top of Windows, obfuscating common things that one might do with Windows (other than putting it into the trash).

I never turned it on again, gave it back so that it could be used in a 3rd-grade class, where i have no doubt that it'll see little if any use.

The display is sharp and crisp, but that's all that I can say about it; from the weight to the badly-placed on/off switch, to the awful AC adapter plug, it's a study in bad design and even worse software.

It'll go the way of the Zune in no time.

• Reply 69 of 94

I agree, the XBox is a great device. Unfortunately, it's the *only* think coming from Microsoft for which I can heap that praise.

• Reply 70 of 94

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Okay, I plead guilty.  Though I didn't know X-box was addictive.  It's some kind of game system, right?  I've never even seen one.  I guess they were successful in some quarters.  (Maybe all except mine.) 

They're *very* successful; my son has one, and I've used it a little bit here and there. I think it's a great device, the only one from M$ that seems to have hit the target. 

• Reply 71 of 94

Quote:

Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

That worked fairly well for Apple a decade or two ago. Many schools had Macs knowing that if that's what kids grow up learning, that's what they'll want to stick with when they buy (or ask their parents for) their own computers.

That's a long view attitude.  And works when you have a quality product compared to the market (I get Better?... for FREE?) and a 5 year plan for recovery.  

MS stockholders won't buy it.

• Reply 72 of 94

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko1357 View Post

Can anyone say tax right off on a complete loss it sucks but free or at a loss like kindle

true...   You make em at 300, and write them off at 799.   The tax benefit still won't shelter the whole loss.

"Yeah, we give 'em away, but we make it up on the volume"  

• Reply 73 of 94

Quote:

Originally Posted by longterm View Post

They're *very* successful; my son has one, and I've used it a little bit here and there. I think it's a great device, the only one from M$ that seems to have hit the target. 

And it took 5 years of losses for xBox to make a profit, and another 3 years to recoup the previous losses.

8 years to break even?  Only Amazon can make that sell to Wall Street;-)

• Reply 74 of 94

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Giving them away to schools? Is that how they can get business in the educational market?

And they think that's the way to get tablet marketshare? Oh God. Microsoft doesn't get it.

I'm not so sure with your opinion that Microsoft "doesn't get it." It seems to me that Microsoft may have finally found a price point at which they can move their tablets. They tried $199 and that didn't work... let's see if FREE will get the tablets to move. If THAT doesn't work, Steve Ballmer can wander through parking lots looking for unlocked vehicles and stuff a Surface or two inside the car before scuttling away....

• Reply 75 of 94

Poor Microsoft can't even give its tablets away...

• Reply 76 of 94

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landcruiser View Post

Why would they "target" LAUSD if LAUSD already inked a deal for iPads with Apple. Didn't Microsoft get the memo? What am I missing on this plan?

Microsoft specializes in "Lost Causes." Uncle Fester is one himself... 

• Reply 77 of 94
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    BiNGO!
    (Buy None, Get One)
  • Reply 78 of 94

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"The music department needs some new percussion instruments. Why not grab a few Surfaces and keyboards to work as clackers for them?"

Already beat you to it on page 1 of comments image

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

I can see the band and dance classes using them for their neato clickety-clack sounds when attaching the keyboard.

• Reply 79 of 94

Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

Seriously, what is an 'educator' going to do with a slab that has no future, no software to speak of, and no real support?

Whatdoyamean no support? It has a free kick stand to hold it upright. Kids will get a lot of fun clacking it open and closed just to watch the teacher grit her teeth.

In not time the Surface will find its place outside the classroom window on the ledge and strewn with birdseed... 

• Reply 80 of 94

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

Let me get this straight...

This is what you call the best product Microsoft makes these days?

"My children - in many dimensions they're as poorly behaved as many other children, but at least on this dimension I've got my kids brainwashed: You don't use Google, and you don't use an iPod." Steve Ballmer 

He really wants children to suffer.