Photos claim to show purported gold 'iPhone 5S' next to iPhone 5

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A set of photographs from a Japanese website surfaced on Thursday, supposedly showing a widely rumored gold colored "iPhone 5S" shell in various comparison shots with two current generation iPhone 5 handsets.

Gold iPhone 5S
Source: Moumantai

The images come from cellular phone parts dealer Moumantai and were published to the blog of weekly Japanese tech magazine ASCII Plus (via Nowhereelse.fr).

From the photos, it appears that the supposed "champagne" iPhone 5S casing has no significant design variations compared to the iPhone 5, including button layout, speaker holes and SIM card lot position. Everything from the rear antenna windows to the highly polished chamfered edges are identical.

Gold iPhone 5S

Rumors are heating up with an expected launch date close at hand. The latest hot topic is a new gold color option for the next generation iPhone, which some sources have described as a more elegant "champagne" hue, not a gaudy "ingot." Parts hinting at the new color choice have been circulating for some time, but not much attention was paid until a supposed shell appeared last week.

Gold iPhone 5S

Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities, who has a reliable track record in predicting Apple product announcements, said last week that the gold case color will be offered alongside the traditional black and silver options currently seen with the iPhone 5. He also sees Apple introducing a new 128GB storage option for the 5S, which is expected to feature revamped internals and a fingerprint sensor.

Gold iPhone 5S

It is speculated that if Apple is indeed planning to introduce a gold version of the iPhone 5S, the move may be a play at the booming Chinese handset market. Recent research has shown that color preference is trending toward gold and orange in the Asia-Pacific region.

Apple is rumored to announce its next iPhone model at a special event on Sept. 10, with a rollout to follow shortly thereafter.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 81
    erioerio Posts: 28member
    Looks great!
  • Reply 2 of 81
    From the looks of it this is just the current iPhone 5 v2. My expectations for the 2014 line up:

iPhone 5s (better camera, more sensors, fingerprint recognition) in black, white, champagne
    iPhone 5e (global LTE support) in black, white, champagne
    iPhone 5c (plastic shell, no LTE) in multiple colors
  • Reply 3 of 81
    OMG Earth shattering!!
  • Reply 4 of 81

Very nice but what color are the missing top and bottom parts?

They could actually be black, white or champagne.

• Reply 5 of 81

That color looks exactly like my car which is billed as "champagne gold". It doesn't look blingy or tacky at all, in fact the car is very forgettable because a lot of things in Southern California are the dry tan color.

• Reply 6 of 81
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Secrecy. Doubled down.

Yeeaaaahhhh...
  • Reply 7 of 81
    albedoalbedo Posts: 11member

"Champagne" can look nice. I remember the Marantz gear in the early 00s. As long as it's not "gold".

• Reply 8 of 81
    doxxicdoxxic Posts: 100member
    I think this would look better with black bezels than white ones
  • Reply 9 of 81
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    Looks very classy and subtle. This will likely be the most popular model this time around simply because its "new"
  • Reply 10 of 81
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    doxxic wrote: »

I agree.

It's such a subtle tone it could look good in black but I think it'll still be better in white.
  • Reply 11 of 81
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    doxxic wrote: »

I disagree.

Besides, you can see by the antenna lines they'll be white.
  • Reply 12 of 81
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    blackbook wrote: »
    Looks very classy and subtle. This will likely be the most popular model this time around simply because its "new"

If this is the real part it looks great, but I doubt it'll be the most popular iPhone 5S colour.
  • Reply 13 of 81
    john f.john f. Posts: 111member

That looks like a great color. No doubt it will be a popular. And mark my words: other manufacturers will follow suit. I hate that people go crazy, saying Apple has lost its touch over a color.

• Reply 14 of 81

If only it were scratch resistant, so I wouldn't have to hide it inside a case... :(

• Reply 15 of 81
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Ok someone help me out....where's the bling exactly?
  • Reply 16 of 81
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Here's another leaked photo of the colored iPhones via 9to5Mac. The person who leaked it claims there won't be a black one but I have my doubts about that. Especially since we've seen black case leak. I'm starting to warm to these...I think they'll be huge with young people and women.

[img]http://9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/screen-shot-2013-08-22-at-9-22-10-am.png?w=1232&h=788[/img]
  • Reply 17 of 81
    pizdecpizdec Posts: 23member
    If you notice that ever since pictures of 5s and 5c started to leak there is never a front picture of it, which means Apple is still has its image of keeping at least something behind its gates
  • Reply 18 of 81
    pizdecpizdec Posts: 23member
    I really want to see that home button
  • Reply 19 of 81
    And you guys would believe lightsabers are real if I showed you a photo of a Jedi using one. As long as some website claimed it was real.
  • Reply 20 of 81
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    The champagne color looks really good. Now I'm kind of hoping my wife chooses that instead of the white again.

Couldn't help but chuckle seeing the Marantz amp earlier in the thread! So distinctive, reminds me of the 80s.