Haswell-based MacBook Pros expected to ship in September - report

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The highly-anticipated MacBook Pro refresh is said to already be in production, setting the stage for a possible unveiling alongside new iPhones at Apple's rumored Sept. 10 event.

MBP

Taiwanese manufacturers have begun to ship components for new MacBook Pros based on Intel's fourth-generation Haswell processors to assembly plants, according to a Thursday report by Hong Kong-based supply chain monitor EMSOne.

The Haswell architecture, which made its Apple debut at WWDC 2013 in the MacBook Air, is designed to take advantage of improvements in transistor manufacturing processes to increase power efficiency and computational performance. Like its predecessor Ivy Bridge, Haswell chips are manufactured using a 22-nanometer process.

Apple's 2013 MacBook Air demonstrated the substantial power savings that can be realized with the new architecture. Despite maintaining the same battery capacity as their 2012 counterparts, the 2013 Airs run significantly longer on a charge - the 13-inch model gained five hours of battery life after the Haswell update, while the 11-inch model gained four hours.

Haswell-based MacBook Pros are expected to see similarly impressive gains in graphics performance. Benchmarks have revealed that we can expect to see Intel's Iris Pro 5200 GPU ? the chipmaker's top-of-the-line integrated graphics option that is intended to compete with discrete GPUs from nVidia and AMD ? in the new models.

The future of non-Retina and hard disk-based MacBook Pros remains unclear. While Apple is not expected to discontinue either model, the report does not specify which variants will benefit from the September refresh.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 138
    Good to see. I've been waiting for the Haswell Pros to upgrade - my 2010 Core2Duo-based Air is really long in the tooth.
  • Reply 2 of 138
    I pray to god for this to be true! Cannot wait.
  • Reply 3 of 138
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    I wonder if the old school MacBook pros will hang around and recieve a price drop or something if they don't get a hardware update.

Anyway I kinda doubt we'll see these announced at the iPhone event. That event is already going to be pretty packed with the iOS 7 unveil, and 2 new iPhones.
  • Reply 4 of 138
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

I wonder if the old school MacBook pros will hang around and recieve a price drop or something if they don't get a hardware update.

I'd imagine so. The rMBPs can't be priced to match yet and the uMBPs have received the last two updates alongside the retinas.

• Reply 5 of 138
    mocsegmocseg Posts: 86member

Quote:

we can expect to see Intel's Iris Pro 5200 GPU — the chipmaker's top-of-the-line integrated graphics option that is intended to compete with discrete GPUs from nVidia and AMD — in the new models.

So, no more real graphic cards in "pros". Whatever Intel benchmarks are their drivers & features & implementation were always disastrous. Can you imagine Intel graphics for OpenGL pro apps. Hilarious.

Good luck anyway :)

• Reply 6 of 138
    Finally, some news .... I've been waiting since the Spring to upgrade my 3 year Old iMac.
    Can't wait !
  • Reply 7 of 138
    alienzedalienzed Posts: 393member
    It's tough to say what Apple will do regarding dedicated video cards. The biggest real drawback is the shared RAM, so maybe a supped up Iris 5200 with dedicated memory would suffice? Otherwise let' s hope for a new better dedicated card included as well, just like now. After all, the macbook pros are some people's only machine.

I am looking forward to this anyway! Can I wish for a fingerprint sensor on these too? :D
  • Reply 8 of 138
    cashxxcashxx Posts: 114member
    Hopefully the minis get an update as well! Would love to see a 17" Macbook Pro version come back!
  • Reply 9 of 138
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    ``see Intel's Iris Pro 5200 GPU %u2014 the chipmaker's top-of-the-line integrated graphics option that is intended to compete with discrete GPUs from nVidia and AMD %u2014 in the new models.''

Just stop. Please.

Intel's GPU on-die with the CPU will never compete with AMD or Intel.
  • Reply 10 of 138
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    We can only hope that Iris Pro is as good as some of the Intel fan sites imply. Of course they can't be trusted to publish unbiased numbers so we willhave to wait for respectable reports.
    mocseg wrote: »
    So, no more real graphic cards in "pros". Whatever Intel benchmarks are their drivers & features & implementation were always disastrous. Can you imagine Intel graphics for OpenGL pro apps. Hilarious.
    Good luck anyway :)

Yes I can imagine and frankly it isn't pretty. However I'm willing to give Intel a chance. Some of the reports about OpenCL performance and the like are encouraging but again we need unbiased reports. I'm really hoping the long delays in driver updates from Apple are an indication that Apple and Intel have hammered hard on the drivers to get them to a point where they aren't an embarrassment.
  • Reply 11 of 138
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    ``see Intel's Iris Pro 5200 GPU %u2014 the chipmaker's top-of-the-line integrated graphics option that is intended to compete with discrete GPUs from nVidia and AMD %u2014 in the new models.''

Just stop. Please.

Intel's GPU on-die with the CPU will never compete with AMD or Intel.

Never is a very very long time. At this point we only need to wait for unbiased reporting, but one thing that is obvious is that Iris is a huge improvement for Intel.
  • Reply 12 of 138
    My 17" MacBook Pro is now over 30 months old. Considering I've upgraded every new 17" model for years, Apple is losing money on me. Each of my older 17" MacBook Pros either finds a home with one of my friends or makes it into my development lab. My MacPro is ready for an upgrade as well.
  • Reply 13 of 138

Hallelujah!

• Reply 14 of 138
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    About bl...y time! I hope the 15 inch rMBP continues to come with its own discrete graphics card though.
  • Reply 15 of 138
    I think the refreshed MBP and iMac will receive a silent update: a press release, some infos on the website and, that's it.
  • Reply 16 of 138
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekmorr View Post

Good to see. I've been waiting for the Haswell Pros to upgrade - my 2010 Core2Duo-based Air is really long in the tooth.

Not as long as my 2004 iBook and 2007 Vista HP desktop, LoLz.....

...Gotta buy.  Hope this update hits a a good value/guts/price point I can live with for the next 4-5 years!

(The initial rMBP's were a good engineering milestone for their tech time, but too pricey for what they deliver IMHO)

• Reply 17 of 138
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

A few days ago my Mum spilled tea all over her Dell laptop, it looks pretty 'Done' to me, have some issues now.

So I've given her my 2010 11inch air, hopefully a haswell 13 rMBP could be my replacement :D better integrated GPU, bring it on.

• Reply 18 of 138
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    Just stop. Please. Intel's GPU on-die with the CPU will never compete with AMD or [Nvidia].

Really? Because economies of scale surely suggest that it will in a few more years.

We've seen this kind of story repeat for various architectures all the time...
  • Reply 19 of 138
    They will likely have nVidia discrete GPU on the higher-end model especially if 4K graphics are part of the upgrade. 4K would also imply Thunderbolt 2. PCIe SSD and 802.11ac will definitely be part of the package. Waiting to replace my trusty 2006 15" MacBook Pro (Core 2 Duo).
  • Reply 20 of 138
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Just stop. Please. Intel's GPU on-die with the CPU will never compete with AMD or Intel.

Hate to burst your bubble, because it was my bubble up until a few months ago, too, but that's not… entirely accurate. Give it ~two years, at least on Apple products.