Google Play gaming revenue moves ahead of Sony and Nintendo portables, still trails Apple

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Google Play-hosted games have moved into the second place spot behind iOS games in terms of revenue generated, putting the digital store ahead dedicated portable game consoles from both Nintendo and Sony.

The revenue jump happened over the past quarter, according to app industry analyst App Annie. The firm's latest Portable Gaming Report found that revenue from dedicated portable gaming devices dropped year-over-year, while revenue for Google's Play Store and iOS App Store games continued to rise.

Consumer spending on games for iOS and Android is now four times the revenue seen by dedicated gaming handhelds.

The latest figures mark the continuation of a trend that began with the debut of Apple's iOS App Store. As smartphones grow in power and popularity, it is increasingly difficult for many consumers to justify the cost of a dedicated gaming handheld.

With 225,000 units sold in July, Nintendo's 3DS was the bestselling gaming console for that month in the United States. It must compete, though, with millions of iOS and Android devices being sold in the same time span. Those devices are also often easier to develop games for, and the titles are sold at a lower price.

The pace at which mobile gaming is outstripping the traditional portable gaming may well be accelerating. A App Annie study from May found iOS and Android gaming revenue to be only three times greater than dedicated portable consoles.

Traditional game makers have taken notice of trends in the industry. Sony cut the price of its PS Vita in Japan earlier this year, and just this week the Japanese electronics giant announced that the portable would be available for $199. Nintendo, meanwhile, has taken to courting developers in hopes of bringing some of the best selling mobile OS games over to its touch-capable Wii U and portable 3DS.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19

Just wait. Remember WWDC? iOS 7 now has added support for gaming controllers. They also had a session on controllers and showed a couple reference designs for things like a snap-in controller you put your phone into. They also added a new framework for hardware accelerated animation.

If Logitech (or others) have a good gaming controller out when the new iPhone is announced then it will be game over for Nintendo. There will be no more excuses as to why gaming "sucks" on a touchscreen.

• Reply 2 of 19
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    This reminded me of Amazon's kindle, Amazon don't break out the numbers so the analysts made guesses.

Now it is google's turn, a research firm has to guess how much they are making in google play.

Well I guess it is just a guessing game when Apple is not concerned.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Just wait. Remember WWDC? iOS 7 now has added support for gaming controllers. They also had a session on controllers and showed a couple reference designs for things like a snap-in controller you put your phone into. They also added a new framework for hardware accelerated animation.

If Logitech (or others) have a good gaming controller out when the new iPhone is announced then it will be game over for Nintendo. There will be no more excuses as to why gaming "sucks" on a touchscreen.
    My son uses his Xbox controller with one of his games on the Nexus 7.

EDIT: He said the game is Shadowlands but there's a couple of other games he's used it with too. So I agree it won't be long before the dedicated game systems loose much of their advantage.

Edit2: There's actually a pretty long list of games that can make use of Xbox/PS3 controllers. I imagine there's quite a few for iOS too. Apparently there's just not a search category in the app stores to figure out which ones they are.
    http://www.droidgamers.com/index.php/game-news/android-game-news/5992-like-using-a-controller-here-s-a-huge-list-of-games-you-can-play
  • Reply 4 of 19

I guess all those free Android games add up to make revenue if there's enough of them...?

• Reply 5 of 19
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

EDIT: He said the game is Shadowlands but there's a couple of other games he's used it with too. So I agree it won't be long before the dedicated game systems loose much of their advantage.

I disagree. With the next generation gaming consoles coming out in November, they will continue to be very far ahead of portable gaming. Portable gaming can't handle games such as Battlefield 4, FIFA 14, even current generation like The Last of Us. Having said that, I am looking forward to the future of portable gaming, especially guessing what Apple has in store. With iOS7 having support for gaming controllers and the future of Apple TV, things are looking great for gamers on all platforms. 

• Reply 6 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Edit2: There's actually a pretty long list of games that can make use of Xbox/PS3 controllers. I imagine there's quite a few for iOS too. Apparently there's just not a search category in the app stores to figure out which ones they are.

http://www.droidgamers.com/index.php/game-news/android-game-news/5992-like-using-a-controller-here-s-a-huge-list-of-games-you-can-play

There's one key difference. iOS 7 now has a specific set of API's for integrating game controllers into your App. Currently an App developer would have to decide which controllers to support and then add it themselves. Android has no such equivalent (some Android users claim they do, but they're wrong - Androids method of supporting controllers is inferior to iOS 7). MOGA also has their own development kit to allow game developers to support their controllers on Android (for an example of how even game controllers are fragmented in Android).

An iPhone with a controller dock and new API's would be a killer setup for handheld gaming. You only need to make a couple of docks to support hundreds of millions of users and with consistent screen sizes/resolutions it'll be easy to develop for.

• Reply 7 of 19
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

So if Google play revenues eventually surpass those of Apple does that also mean Apple has failed? Every time we see one these comparison articles there is the implication that if someone else catches up with Apple that immediately means Apple is a failed company. Why is this attitude fostered by the media and why do the faithful start wringing their hands in anxiety?

• Reply 8 of 19
    lkrupp wrote: »
    So if Google play revenues eventually surpass those of Apple does that also mean Apple has failed? Every time we see one these comparison articles there is the implication that if someone else catches up with Apple that immediately means Apple is a failed company. Why is this attitude fostered by the media and why do the faithful start wringing their hands in anxiety?

Apparently if you're not first... you're last.

It's kinda weird though... it seems like you can be a successful profitable company in a billion dollar industry even at #2
  • Reply 9 of 19
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    Out with the old in with the new.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    If apple comes out with Apple TV App Store apple could also compete with game consoles. Still there main use is gaming and Apple TV is entertainment, but both have the same potentials (except for apple does not use DVD drive).
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Until I can actually [B]SAVE[/B] a game and not have it completely wiped out by a restore/reboot then I'll consider playing games on my iPhone. I can't begin to tell just how many games I've had to restart from scratch because of it.

Til then I'll pass on iPhone gaming and use my DS & PSP
  • Reply 12 of 19

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

Until I can actually SAVE a game and not have it completely wiped out by a restore/reboot then I'll consider playing games on my iPhone. I can't begin to tell just how many games I've had to restart from scratch because of it.

iCloud backups have been around since, what, iOS 5.

• Reply 13 of 19
    iCloud backups have been around since, what, iOS 5.

I've used iCloud back-ups and I still have to start from the very begining of a given game. As an example I've had to restart GTA: Vice City a number of times from the very start when I've beaten the game and been doing side-missions.

For me, the iPhone isn't a gaming device for the more hard-core gamers.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    I've used iCloud back-ups and I still have to start from the very begining of a given game. As an example I've had to restart GTA: Vice City a number of times from the very start when I've beaten the game and been doing side-missions.

If you've beaten the game, isn't there any other option than to start from the beginning again? I mean, if there are no more levels to finish...
  • Reply 15 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

There's one key difference. iOS 7 now has a specific set of API's for integrating game controllers into your App. Currently an App developer would have to decide which controllers to support and then add it themselves. Android has no such equivalent (some Android users claim they do, but they're wrong - Androids method of supporting controllers is inferior to iOS 7). MOGA also has their own development kit to allow game developers to support their controllers on Android (for an example of how even game controllers are fragmented in Android).

An iPhone with a controller dock and new API's would be a killer setup for handheld gaming. You only need to make a couple of docks to support hundreds of millions of users and with consistent screen sizes/resolutions it'll be easy to develop for.

I can't find the explicit APIs for Apple's integration.  Here is how Android's APIs work: http://developer.android.com/about/versions/android-3.1.html

These APIs have been in place for about 3 years now.

• Reply 16 of 19

Quote:

If Logitech (or others) have a good gaming controller out when the new iPhone is announced then it will be game over for Nintendo. 

That would be a sad day.

• Reply 17 of 19
    philboogie wrote: »
    If you've beaten the game, isn't there any other option than to start from the beginning again? I mean, if there are no more levels to finish...
    No offense intended Phil but I can tell you've never played a GTA game as there is PLENTY to do after beating the main portion of the game. Side missions, asset properties, robbery, hidden packages, firefighter, paramedic and so forth.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    If Logitech (or others) have a good gaming controller out when the new iPhone is announced then it will be game over for Nintendo.
    Hardly
  • Reply 19 of 19

Well, that's wrong.