Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer calls it quits, to retire within a year

Comments

• Reply 41 of 330
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member

I think this isn't good news at all for Apple. If anything, Microsoft, and especially Steve Ballmer was partly what made Apple succeed and turn around from a near Bankrupt company to the most valuable company in just 15 years. They fail to compete! Or They haven't even try to compete.

But Microsoft still have lots of engineering talents. Even more so then Google, their management just fail to unlock them.

It would still take 3 - 4 years at least in the best case scenerio for Microsoft to comeback, and they definately need someone from Outside to tears down Microsoft and rebuilt it as quickly as possible.

• Reply 42 of 330
    oldmacguy wrote: »
    Another Microsoft winner to go up on the shelf, right next to Clippy, Ribbon, Zune and Surface.

"What about Bob?" :)
  • Reply 43 of 330

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave MacLachlan View Post

"What about Bob?" image

Bob was my favorite.

Really. Could Microsoft be taken seriously after that. By anyone.

• Reply 44 of 330
    jmc54jmc54 Posts: 207member

Time to buy MSFT!!

• Reply 44 of 330

This is a very sad day.  Best comedian ever.  He brought laughter with word he said.  I will miss him greatly.

• Reply 46 of 330

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

buying himself a place in heaven with philanthropy.

That's free for the asking. 

• Reply 47 of 330
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    Now Microsoft can get back to the kinds of core software that made it popular: solitaire.

But seriously maybe now MS can give up making tablets and instead focus on making fully functional Windows Office for iOS and Android.
  • Reply 48 of 330
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    There. Fixed that for you.

What are you talking about? Microsoft is the 3rd or 4th most valuable company in the world. They basically own the enterprise. Microsoft is FAR from being run in to the ground.
  • Reply 49 of 330
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 698member
    See, that second video puts the issue on point. "Perfectly capable" vs. "insanely great".
  • Reply 50 of 330
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

Now Microsoft can get back to the kinds of core software that made it popular: solitaire.

But seriously maybe now MS can give up making tablets and instead focus on making fully functional Windows Office for iOS and Android.

All we're ever going to see are 365 subscription services. That's where the money is anyway.

• Reply 51 of 330
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Microsoft should spin off Xbox and focus on enterprise and cloud. Right now they're a mess trying to be both horizontal and vertical. One of Microsoft's biggest worries should be Google and Chrome OS/Google Docs and instead they're running ads knocking iPad. If cheap laptops running Chrome take off what does that do to Windows? Plus non enterprise consumers are finding that cheaper options to Office work just fine for what they need.
  • Reply 52 of 330
    jessijessi Posts: 302member
    Terrible news. Nothing better for Apple than Ballmer at the helm.

On the other hand, given the culture at Microsoft (I worked there in the past) we can be assured that if they hire from within, we're guaranteed to get someone worse for the company. (and thus good for Apple.)

On the other hand, maybe they'll hire Scott Forstall!
  • Reply 53 of 330
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Thanks for ruining the weekend Baller ¡

Ok, I decided to not let this ruin my weekend, so I made a nice collage of him. Here it is in digital form, but I can't respond to any comments as I'm off to the print shop so I can hang it on a wall, somewhere nice, maybe replace a mirror or something. Just so I won't forget. Yeah Baller, we won't ever forget.

• Reply 54 of 330
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

The new Adams Family sequel starts production- he can't do both at once. 

• Reply 55 of 330
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    It's the end of an "error"
  • Reply 56 of 330
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    damn - I was expecting him to run the company even more into the ground. I'm glad he will be involved in the new hire - lets see if he can hire a new clown
  • Reply 57 of 330
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Meanwhile the Ballmer family rejoice … at last they can buy iPhones, iPads and MacBook Pros.

• Reply 58 of 330

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

It's the end of an "error"

Not so much 'blue screen of death' as 'ballmer scream of death'...

• Reply 59 of 330
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member

does the xbox make a profit?

• Reply 60 of 330
    ochymingochyming Posts: 474member

Shelved?!