Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer calls it quits, to retire within a year

Comments

• Reply 61 of 330

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

What are you talking about? Microsoft is the 3rd or 4th most valuable company in the world. They basically own the enterprise. Microsoft is FAR from being run in to the ground.

7th, actually. A far cry from where it used to be.

With Ballmer at the helm where do you think it will be in another 10 years.

My guess, it wouldn't even be in the top ten.

Into the ground, maybe not... but comparatively to what it used to be... a long ways down.

• Reply 62 of 330
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    “The board is committed to the effective transformation of Microsoft to a successful [B]devices and services company[/B],” (MS Director) Thompson said.

Not really sure what that means. I'm [I]guessing[/I] that the Surface was simply a first effort and MS is committing to a lot more Microsoft-produced and sold hardware, and by extension less reliance on licensed OS manufacturers?
  • Reply 63 of 330
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

Steve- Don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you.

And take all those boxes of Surfaces with you too!

• Reply 64 of 330
    donw35donw35 Posts: 30member

Good, Microsoft needs some new fresh leadership. the same old follow what Apple is doing isn't going to work anymore.

I am all for MS doing some very cool things in the future

• Reply 65 of 330
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikilok View Post

Is this retirement forced retirement. Or Balmer just had enough ?

Neither.  This is being "let go," but more nicely worded and with a lot of lies sprinkled on top. 

It's like advertising.  You simply reverse every statement to get at the actual truth.  

Balmer saying it "makes sense" to push him out early == "The bastards won't let me stay as long as I wanted." 

Gates saying they are "fortunate" to still have Balmer around == "We need to get rid of this guy."

etc. etc. 

• Reply 66 of 330
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    That's free for the asking. 

Seems those with a guilty conscience don't think so …
  • Reply 67 of 330
    philboogie wrote: »
    Ok, I decided to not let this ruin my weekend, so I made a nice collage of him. Here it is in digital form, but I can't respond to any comments as I'm off to the print shop so I can hang it on a wall, somewhere nice, maybe replace a mirror or something. Just so I won't forget. Yeah Baller, we won't ever forget.

Dart Board!
  • Reply 68 of 330
    Send in your resume, Scott.

Maybe you can invigorate Surface sales with a little skeuomorphism.

In fact he could redo all of Windows with lots of skeuomorphism … images from land fills and dung heaps would be a good source for images …. :D
  • Reply 69 of 330

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Seems those with a guilty conscience don't think so …

True, and sad as all the money in the world won't buy entrance into Heaven. 

• Reply 70 of 330

Quote:

Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

There's someone who'll relish the job with a vengeance!

Bad choice though.  They don't need a product guy (or even to work on their product).  They need to re-organise the entire business around what they do best.  You will probably see them exiting a lot of markets, not ramping up the competition with Apple.  

They've lost and they know it.  It's irreversible.  They aren't going to come out with an iPad killer or an iPhone killer.  

That's why the line about "looking at the board" for CEO's.  They are going to be looking for an older business oriented guy to slash and burn  and refocus back on enterprise Windows products and the Cloud.  It's probably "goodbye XBox" and "goodbye living room" within about 5 years now. 

• Reply 71 of 330
    cletuscletus Posts: 54member
    Quoting Hit Girl in Kick Ass: "What a douche."
  • Reply 72 of 330
    He should work in Disneyland after retired .
  • Reply 73 of 330
    zqqmzqqm Posts: 7member

MS always was as microsh*t. And Balmer.... oh god... he's completely useless: no vision, worst manager, no charm or karma or whatever, massive ego. They speak about revolution products, innovation etc (don't care about poxy x-box). Almost in all this game they were followers (and awfully unsuccessfull ones).

As ones real-deal Steve said: "they just don't have a taste". 

• Reply 74 of 330
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    hey are going to be looking for an older business oriented guy to slash and burn  and refocus back on enterprise Windows products and the Cloud.  It's probably "goodbye XBox" and "goodbye living room" within about 5 years now. 

Not if you go by the comments from both Ballmer and the Microsoft Board. They both claim Microsoft is transitioning to a devices and services company, and they've only just started.
  • Reply 75 of 330
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

7th, actually. A far cry from where it used to be.

With Ballmer at the helm where do you think it will be in another 10 years.

My guess, it wouldn't even be in the top ten.

Into the ground, maybe not... but comparatively to what it used to be... a long ways down.

What are the other 6 besides Apple, Google and Exxon Mobile? Chinese petrol companies?
  • Reply 76 of 330
    It is odd the way they announced this...

A brief, somewhat grudging, statement by Balmer... then a statement from the board about[I] "within the next 12 months, upon the completion of a process to choose his successor."[/I]

Effectively. he has been stripped of authority (like Forstall)... he will be gone before Christmas!

Ahh... Ballmer... we won't forget you!   As seen on the wall of the Executive Washroom:

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/30251/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]
  • Reply 77 of 330
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Not if you go by the comments from both Ballmer and the Microsoft Board. They both claim Microsoft is transitioning to a devices and services company, and they've only just started.
    I see that as a mistake. Trying to mimick the Apple model won't work. We've already seen with the write down of Surface inventory that the public isn't clamoring for Microsoft devices.
  • Reply 78 of 330

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

That's free for the asking. 

I dunno, I've been asking Jesus every god-damn night for a nice house in heaven next to the Virgin Mary (she's pretty hot and I hear she hangs her delicates in the backyard to dry each morning), but he keeps putting me off! He says that I just don't have the pull to be in that neighbourhood.  Apparently only Popes and televangelists get to live on that street at all!  He wants me to live all the way out in the f*cking suburbs, on cloud 51 where the streets are only partially paved in gold.  And the utilities are a rip-off too!    

Meanwhile the *other* Christian god, Satan ... is offering me a really good deal on an apartment with free heating and built in entertainment. I know which one I'm going with. 

• Reply 79 of 330
    solomansoloman Posts: 228member
    nikilok wrote: »
    Is this retirement forced retirement. Or Balmer just had enough ?

He was volunteered.
  • Reply 80 of 330
    zqqmzqqm Posts: 7member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Ok, I decided to not let this ruin my weekend, so I made a nice collage of him. Here it is in digital form, but I can't respond to any comments as I'm off to the print shop so I can hang it on a wall, somewhere nice, maybe replace a mirror or something. Just so I won't forget. Yeah Baller, we won't ever forget.

He's just the worst.... can't laugh enough :D