DOJ claims Apple's changes to in-app purchase rules were aimed at Amazon

Comments

• Reply 21 of 161

Regarding the suggestion that Apple doesn't have a consistent 30% fee...

The government clearly doesn't understand the difference/distinction between ordering something on the Amazon app to be delivered to you at your front door, versus the Kindle app that's delivered to the iPhone.

It's stuff that gets delivered to the iPhone (be it downloaded books, extra levels on a game, etc) that falls under the 30% rule, not apps that effect transactions for other stuff. They might as well argue that Apple clearly aren't asking a level playing-field price for 'in app purchases' because people who log on to their grocery store on the Safari app in order to buy something online aren't paying 30% of the price of carrots to Apple.

The argument is wholly bogus.

• Reply 22 of 161

Payback for not entering into agreement and complying with NSA/FBI data requests.....

• Reply 23 of 161
    nikiloknikilok Posts: 383member
    ealvarez wrote: »
    Apple raised the prices

Yes so why don't they drop prices to compete with Amazon ?

At one point the prices of the books can't be dropped coz they get to sell it from the publishers at a given price point. Hence there the books would end up being priced the same on all platforms , which would be cheaper than what it is today.
  • Reply 24 of 161

Quote:

Originally Posted by CogitoDexter View Post

The government clearly doesn't understand the difference/distinction between ordering something on the Amazon app to be delivered to you at your front door, versus the Kindle app that's delivered to the iPhone.

It's stuff that gets delivered to the iPhone (be it downloaded books, extra levels on a game, etc) that falls under the 30% rule, not apps that effect transactions for other stuff. They might as well argue that Apple clearly aren't asking a level playing-field price for 'in app purchases' because people who log on to their grocery store on the Safari app in order to buy something online aren't paying 30% of the price of carrots to Apple.

And if the 30% fee is so heinous why are they not going after Google who does the exact same thing Apple does with regards to in-app purchases?

• Reply 25 of 161
    alphafoxalphafox Posts: 132member
    The DOJ is so retarded I don't know where to begin. Close the ibooks app and ban the kindle app, screw them both.
  • Reply 26 of 161
    alphafox wrote: »
    The DOJ is so retarded I don't know where to begin. Close the ibooks app and ban the kindle app, screw them both.

And what makes u think they are just behind the books alone. They did mention that the practice not be done for other content aswell. Including media.
  • Reply 27 of 161
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by nikilok View Post

And what makes u think they are just behind the books alone.

Because Apple isn't "behind" anything.

• Reply 28 of 161

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

At a hearing earlier in August, Apple's counsel argued for the validity of forcing competitors' e-book apps to use the system by saying that the company receives 30 percent of the sale for any products purchased from within an iOS app, even physical goods like shoes.

The government seized on this statement as evidence that Apple "misrepresented the factual circumstances" surround in-app purchases, saying that it "simply is not true that Apple receives a 30 percent commission from all retailers for all goods." 

Quote:

Originally Posted by CogitoDexter View Post

Unfortunately, Apple's high-priced, ivy-league lawyers don't understand how their own products work.

• Reply 29 of 161
    jessijessi Posts: 302member

I love how the DoJ's paranoid fantasies have the force of law now, once rubber stamped by a confessed biased judge.

Anyone who claims that the US operates under the rule of law looks sillier by the day. 

So, how long until americans stop putting up with this?  The NSA, the TSA molesting children, pointless endless wars, etc. 

How much more will it take before people wake up? 

• Reply 30 of 161
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    nikilok wrote: »
    I don't get this part. If Amazon can drop prices of digital books, why can't Apple do the same ?

ealvarez wrote: »
    Apple raised the prices

Apple does not set the prices. They use the agency model.

Maybe next time do a little research before you make yourself look like an idiot.
  • Reply 31 of 161
    iaeen wrote: »

Apple does not set the prices. They use the agency model.

Maybe next time do a little research before you make yourself look like an idiot.

Right so say the case goes in amazons favor what happens ? Apple can't use the agency model ?
  • Reply 32 of 161

So...

Apple makes a change to their payment system. One Apple's products. Running Apple software. Using Apple servers.

And the DOJ says Apple needs to like Amazon more. That's what it amounts to. 

Heck, maybe the DOJ needs to... you know... actually be just and fair and make Amazon have iTunes available on Kindles

No excuses.  iTunes is available on Mac and PC. Easily done on Kindle.

That's really the only monopolistic, anticompetitive behavior going on. 

Seems like some serious lobbying at work here.

Souldn't it be up to AMAZON to file suit? Why the heck is the DOJ being the plaintiff? Serious communism at work here.

One of the great things about the Apple ecosystem is that consumers don't have to get shoved around by all these different schemes from third parties.  They sign up with the Apple ID and click "buy" and its a known quantity every time.  No surprises. That's a good thing. DOJ should take note. 

I think it's time the DOJ is investigated for their interesting agendas.

• Reply 32 of 161
    I don't support that idea. digital books can be priced lower than physical books causing them to go obsolete, but that's what the tech allowed it to do. Old ways get toppled as time goes on. If your so keen about the physical book u could get a print out and read.

The end user benefits from this , don't u realize that ?

I read the OP's comment as pointing out that ebooks under amazon were a threat to the publishing industry, not just physical books.

With amazons predatory prices, the publishers were not able to recuperate their costs for bringing a book to print. If they can't recuperate their costs, they go out of business. If they go out of business, quality books disappear. End user suffers.
  • Reply 34 of 161
    ochymingochyming Posts: 474member
    So, you still think that Obama's men are not in the Amazon's pocket?
    Amazon needs not to pay them, just convince them that their strategy is the best for the middle class.

Nowadays German firms go for high quality, in the USA cheap is cherrished.
  • Reply 35 of 161
    iaeen wrote: »
    I read the OP's comment as pointing out that ebooks under amazon were a threat to the publishing industry, not just physical books.

With amazons predatory prices, the publishers were not able to recuperate their costs for bringing a book to print. If they can't recuperate their costs, they go out of business. If they go out of business, quality books disappear. End user suffers.

How would quality books disappear ?
    They would all be available on tablets to consume. Just that the print industry goes dead. Yeah so big deal. Will save more trees and help the planet. I don't understand how end users suffer ?
  • Reply 36 of 161
    Right so say the case goes in amazons favor what happens ? Apple can't use the agency model ?

I really couldn't tell you. With all the bizaare horse shit coming from the DOJ and the judge in charge of the case I would say the result could be anything up to and including nationalization of iOS.
  • Reply 37 of 161
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikilok View Post

I don't get this part. If Amazon can drop prices of digital books, why can't Apple do the same ?

Theoretically Apple could, if it had the appropriate agreements in place with publishers. But would Apple want to get into the tedious, boring business of monitoring the market and adjusting prices on hundreds, thousands or even tens of thousands of items, and risk or choose to take a loss? I don't think so.

• Reply 38 of 161
    How would quality books disappear ?
    They would all be available on tablets to consume. Just that the print industry goes dead. Yeah so big deal. Will save more trees and help the planet. I don't understand how end users suffer ?

Publishing is about more than just printing books. If the publishers can't make enough money to pay the authors and editors, quality will suffer.
  • Reply 39 of 161
    ochymingochyming Posts: 474member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

So...

Apple makes a change to their payment system. One Apple's products. Running Apple software. Using Apple servers.

And the DOJ says Apple needs to like Amazon more. That's what it amounts to. 

Heck, maybe the DOJ needs to... you know... actually be just and fair and make Amazon have iTunes available on Kindles

No excuses.  iTunes is available on Mac and PC. Easily done on Kindle.

That's really the only monopolistic, anticompetitive behavior going on. 

Seems like some serious lobbying at work here.

Souldn't it be up to AMAZON to file suit? Why the heck is the DOJ being the plaintiff? Serious communism at work here.

One of the great things about the Apple ecosystem is that consumers don't have to get shoved around by all these different schemes from third parties.  They sign up with the Apple ID and click "buy" and its a known quantity every time.  No surprises. That's a good thing. DOJ should take note. 

I think it's time the DOJ is investigated for their interesting agendas.

No.
    You know nothing about communist.

Communism has no trade/economic system, communism should be compared with religious/Feudal systems, where the party is the feudal master.
    Couldn't this be the working of lobbying?

• Reply 40 of 161

Quote:

Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

Publishing is about more than just printing books. If the publishers can't make enough money to pay the authors and editors, quality will suffer.

The publishers can make up for that , by demanding there requirements to companies digitally distributing books.. Like Apple and Amazon right ?

Ah I see the picture now.. Why would Publishers have to be middle men, between the author and the digital book store.

The Author can go directly to Apple , like App developers publish apps to the app store.

If that happened, the Publishers go out business. Great so why not adopt that model, authors publish there books themselves on digital stores without the need for a publisher :)