Photo claims to show dozens of 'iPhone 5C 'units passing through QA testing

Comments

• Reply 41 of 121

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

it can't be all coincidence that so many people agree.

What, four? So it's fine to gang up on users now, eh?

• Reply 42 of 121
    Since when have you seen a computer monitor or TV with a White bezel?
    [/quote]

iMac G4 until the aluminum iMacs
  • Reply 43 of 121

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

I hope this isn't how iPhones are tested. This is a mess! Some of the power/interface connectors look too big. Of course, this photo isn't clear enough to show what's on the screens.

These tests are likely being done on pre-production product that will never leave the plant. 

• Reply 44 of 121
    Some of these phones are MUCH LARGER than the current 5...
  • Reply 45 of 121
    nikiloknikilok Posts: 383member
    There are 58 iPhones in there.

And it appears the software running on the iPhones is a custom firmware / app designed for QA testing alone. I doubt those phones are flashed with iOS 7 already.
  • Reply 46 of 121
    slurpy wrote: »
    It's because of people like this bitch that took the photo that security measures increase, leading to more inefficiency, difficulty, monitoring, and inconvenience for employees who don't take illegal pics like this and post them online. And she just got hired in mid-July. Hope it was worth her ass being fired. 

I wonder how he or she managed sneaking a camera in. Prolly those button sized cameras.
    That however needs sophistication to make.

I need to try and see if I can trace device information off that pic. If I see Samsung manufactured the devices we know who hired the spy.

If that's the case the spy would have been highly paid off.
  • Reply 47 of 121
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Black front makes sense..the Apple logo and typeface on the back are all black.

That's what I was thinking too.

• Reply 48 of 121

Whoever took that snap, has taken more closeup snaps for sure.

Dint post it online, that's all. It's very unlikely that the person dint take more pictures if he / she had the oppurtunity to take one of these.

• Reply 49 of 121
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    Not in an industrial elevator so I'm calling fake.
  • Reply 50 of 121
    iDoS ;)
  • Reply 51 of 121
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    entropys wrote: »
    Not in an industrial elevator so I'm calling fake.

I image-Bing-ed that, but came up with heavy duty stuff. What should that look like, what you're referring to?
  • Reply 52 of 121
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    nikilok wrote: »
    I wonder how he or she managed sneaking a camera in. Prolly those button sized cameras.
    That however needs sophistication to make.

I need to try and see if I can trace device information off that pic. If I see Samsung manufactured the devices we know who hired the spy.

If that's the case the spy would have been highly paid off.

Considering her statement about the Xiaoma smartphone from the Chinese tech company Xiaoma Technologies, it was likely them that paid her off for the detailed images she didnt post as well as the public photo featuring a name drop for their company she DID post.
  • Reply 53 of 121
    antkm1 wrote: »
    5. (For) but to make this product stand out as something different or less expensive, the standard black front could be a ways to do this.  Look that the "budget" model of the iPod touch.  Alum. back and Black front.

I've thought that as well.

Not sure if I like that its going to be

Black glass = cheap

White glass = expensive.

(not racist obviously)

But as far as Apple's other products it makes some sense I guess.

It'd be interesting if this will make less people use cases for their black/slate iPhone 5/5S because in a case they're going to look identical to the 5Cs. No one paying twice as much wants their phone associated with the "cheap" model.

gazoobee wrote: »
    Yeah, my initial instinct was just "black fronts? … makes sense" but in writing it out in detail, there are some reasons to go with white.  I still think on balance that black wins out though.  

Maybe they will make both, but for production simplicity and given that they are already making multicoloured back pieces, I think they will go with the rest of the phone being identical. It makes it far easier to switch volumes on the SKU's. Like if lime green isn't selling and they have a warehouse full of them, they could easily pull out the guts and put it in white backs and save the majority of their costs on that inventory.  If they are going for cheap production, they should also be going for flexible production.  

I think the picture seems real enough though and that alone is a convincing argument that they are going with all black fronts.  

As with all of this kind of rumour and speculation, I could of course be completely wrong. :)

Interesting idea.

It actually adds that much more credence to black fronts for the 5C.
  • Reply 54 of 121
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    slurpy wrote: »
    It's because of people like this bitch that took the photo that security measures increase, leading to more inefficiency, difficulty, monitoring, and inconvenience for employees who don't take illegal pics like this and post them online. And she just got hired in mid-July. Hope it was worth her ass being fired. 

But she got a promotion from her other job - at Samsung.

These tests are likely being done on pre-production product that will never leave the plant. 

It doesn't matter. Modern manufacturing and quality methods rely on Lean principles (Toyota Production System) and that jumbled mess would not be acceptable. If it's real, someone's doing a terrible job.
  • Reply 55 of 121
    dbtincdbtinc Posts: 134member
    will it make phone calls?
  • Reply 56 of 121
    The phones themselves -- if these are not fake -- look mediocre.

Troubling.
  • Reply 57 of 121

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

The phones themselves -- if these are not fake -- look mediocre.

Troubling.

Agreed.

I'm hoping there's still something special in the 5C yet to be revealed. It needs a "cool" factor that sets it apart from the competition.

Maybe instead of polycarbonate it will utilize a special bio-plastic for its colorful back panel? That would appease Greenpeace and help Apple's "cool" "eco-friendly" image. 

Something along those lines would make the ugliness of the phones more forgivable and help Apple continue on with their green environmental goals; the same goals that led them to move away from environmentally damaging plastics in the first place...

• Reply 58 of 121
    murmanmurman Posts: 159member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotScott View Post

Thanks for saying what the article already said.

Lol sorry didn't read, happens half the time at least, anyway, the black front plate looks nicer I think, nice black and white look. The original source, the female worker mentions how much this looks like a Xiomi phone, funny that, because Xiomi looks exactly like a iPhone to begin with.

• Reply 59 of 121
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,178member
    jragosta wrote: »

It doesn't matter. Modern manufacturing and quality methods rely on Lean principles (Toyota Production System) and that jumbled mess would not be acceptable. If it's real, someone's doing a terrible job.

For those that don't know what JR is referring to here's a plain English description:
    http://www.biztechreport.com/story/1365-lean-transformations-asian-organizations

JR, correct me if I'm wrong please.

In essence I think "lean manufacturing" methods move the manufacturer's focus to achieving cost savings/efficiencies from planning by actual customer orders instead of old traditional market forecasts and projections that require inventory gambles and build-out for possible future orders. In the simplest terms if it's not a real order you don't expend company resources on it, which saves effort and increases profit.

If I'm correct Toyota's "TPS" (a marriage of "lean" and SixSigma quality guidelines perhaps?) adds a necessary level of product quality checks and balances so that excessive focus on cost savings from "lean manufacturing" doesn't result in product flaws and defects for the customer. JR no doubt knows much more about it but I don't see the details as all that important to the discussion anyway.

So this particular picture kinda leaves the impression they may be paying too much attention to the "lean" cost savings and not enough focus on the other elements of TPS. :\
  • Reply 60 of 121

This is how the apple section at Fry's electronics looks! I'm not kidding, it's a mess! :)

Looking fwd to the iPhone 5c