Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer calls it quits, to retire within a year

Comments

• Reply 261 of 330
    alfiejr wrote: »
    you actually don't beleve the "party line" here, do you?

The "party line" is full of hot girls who are waiting to talk to interesting guys like me. Fees may apply. ;)
  • Reply 262 of 330
    Eric Schmidt should be in jail.

But Microsoft is too slow at copying Apple. Eric Schmidt can help.
  • Reply 263 of 330
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    alfiejr wrote: »
    you actually don't beleve the "party line" here, do you?

No, hence my closing line.

^ post

Brilliant!

But Microsoft is too slow at copying Apple. Eric Schmidt can help.

Thieves ought to go to jail.
  • Reply 264 of 330
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

Maybe they will get Phil Schiller he is a joke anyway!

• Reply 265 of 330
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    marvfox wrote: »

"Phil's a joke" "My ass!"
  • Reply 266 of 330
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    blackbook wrote: »
    Yup.

Microsoft is in no danger and they're still a highly profitable company.

As you said they aren't going anywhere and will remain a pretty large force in the market for decades to come.

Even with their open failures under Ballmer, during this time we've seen their most ingenious product yet. Office 365.

Now Microsoft will have a consistent cash cow that will keep their coffers full every month of the year.

With their strangle hold on corporations already in place I'm surprised no one else at Redmond thought of a subscription service model until now.

Microsofts profits are sure to go up with every corporation and government moving to the subscription based 365 service, so we'll see Microsoft around at least as a corporate player for decades to come.

But 365 will be good for iOS as well. Microsoft is bring 365 support to iOS devices so people no longer need to clamor for Microsoft to make a native office app.

IMO 365 for iOS also relegates iWork on iCloud to a consumer niche and not a business tool

Too many people build opinion on Ballmer based on his clowning around, stage antics and such.

Ballmer did quite a lot on top of Microsoft, or if you prefer - Microsoft did quite a lot under Ballmer. I came across this article while googling for next MS CEO:

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/08/microsoft-needs-a-new-ceo-who-probably-doesnt-exist/

Again - he did his share of mistakes, but Microsoft today is more dynamic, more versatile, less afraid to try something new than they were under last years of Gates' leadership.

Was he not not chubby, bald and keen on jumping around the stage, I'm pretty sure he would be considered much more competent CEO than he is now.
  • Reply 267 of 330
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    bobborries wrote: »
    <span style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:19px;">Ballmer said he could retire in 2018 </span>
    <span style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:19px;">after his youngest kid started college</span>
    <span style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:19px;">, and won't allow his children to use google or Apple products... poor kids. I can't understand how a father wouldn't want the best for his children. Imagine his kid going to college with a Surface, he'd be the laughing-stock on campus.</span>

I suspect they are the ones that really went to the board and begged for them to fire him … :D
  • Reply 268 of 330
    nikon133 wrote: »
    Too many people build opinion on Ballmer based on his clowning around, stage antics and such.

Ballmer did quite a lot on top of Microsoft, or if you prefer - Microsoft did quite a lot under Ballmer. I came across this article while googling for next MS CEO:

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/08/microsoft-needs-a-new-ceo-who-probably-doesnt-exist/

Again - he did his share of mistakes, but Microsoft today is more dynamic, more versatile, less afraid to try something new than they were under last years of Gates' leadership.

Was he not not chubby, bald and keen on jumping around the stage, I'm pretty sure he would be considered much more competent CEO than he is now.

You keep plugging away on his behalf. Hats off to you sir, I imagine you take in stray cats and dogs too. ;)
  • Reply 269 of 330
    marvfox wrote: »

They'd be so lucky! In your dreams. Phil is part of the bedrock of Apple, the most successful company on this planet … you think he's a joke? People laugh at Ballmer because he deserves laughing at not because he is laughable to look at, that's just a bonus.
  • Reply 270 of 330
    jragosta wrote: »
    None of that disproves the statement that iWorks can catch on based on the success of the iPad.

While there are exceptions, iPads are generally used for content consumption more than content creation. And iWorks will read most of those gigabytes or terabytes of files you're talking about. More importantly, the vast majority of those files are not something that would likely be accessed remotely, anyway. If you're at a level in the organization (CFO, perhaps) where you need access to all that data, you're probably not going to be using an iPad for your remote access. iPads will generally be used by sales people, service people, support people, and so on - and they need a much more limited set of those documents. Since iWorks can read Word and Excel and PowerPoint documents, that will be more than sufficient for most people.

Of course, one could argue that if you're simply using iWorks to read and write in Office format that it doesn't have a major impact on the MS Office monopoly, but that's a different argument.

I see opinion, not statement.

Of course, my "statement" is also just an opinion... based on my work experience. I do work for IT support company and we do have various tablets among our customers. First couple of tablets that were commissioned for salesforce among our customers were Lenovo ThinkPad Tablets 2, x86 tablets with Windows 8 Pro. Sure we have more iPads, but most if not all of them are among customers' executives, and are used for what I mentioned - email, calendar, communications.

This is logical to me. Most our mid to large size (relative to NZ standards) customers with sales teams use SharePoint for sales and other documentation. Sure they can copy files locally, but it is always a bonus if you can access files from your corporate network - you cannot always be prepared for anything.

Ideal remote access setup for our customers consists of multi-layered security elements. there are variations, but we try to enforce most secure one, and usually customers agree. Requirements are:

Proper firewall. We do SonicWALL firewalls, bigger customers are encouraged to invest in Aventail SRA appliances, smaller use SSL-VPN features in firewalls.

Domain logon with password requirements (number of characters, mix of lower case/upper case/numbers/special characters with periodical changes

So far, so good.

Device is part of domain. This is where problem starts for non-Windows devices. We recommend customers that, beside correct credentials, users should be able to get full access to corporate network only from devices which are joined to the domain and have required group policies enabled, as well as management agent installed (in our case, Kaseya). This is so that we can easy remote and try to solve problem, should user call us from business trip from somewhere far away with a problem.

Additional level of authentication. Until recently those were Safeword tokens. They are quite expensive and complex, thus easy to break. We had requests for cheaper, more reliable solutions, thus we looked around and decided on Yubico tokens. Those are practically indestructible, but have one "flaw"; they require full-size USB port to plug in and generate passkey. This could be possible on iPads and Androids with USB dongle... or not. Not sure if those tablets would accept token as USB keyboard, because this is how token basically behaves. But even if they do, there is a problem of joining tablets to domain.

And then, of course, level of iOS/Android Office suites compatibility. Our customers on occasion have complex Excel sheets loaded with formulas and what not. Partial compatibility is not good enough. If there is no other option, they will go for it. But given tablets that can be as portable as iPads and as compatible as Windows PCs, with all the previous security requirements (set in the days when laptop was THE portable device) applicable, it really isn't hard for them to decide.

Selling hardware is not our bread & butter, so we don't have interest (from that angle) to push any specific device. We will configure VPN to cater for different platforms and will explain our customers what are ups and downs of having multiple solutions - setup and maintenance price, complexity, security impact etc. Our experience is that customers will look at simplest solution, which is one standard and, ideally, one that they already have configured.

Granted we have more iPads (maybe even Androids) than Windows tablets among our customers at present, but then suitable Windows tablets have started appearing here in NZ only beginning of 2013.

So that is our experience, and I think logic behind it is reasonably strong. Again, I'm not saying that other solutions can not be applied, but thinking on common focus of most corporate users, they simply don't work as well, at best.

Home users, completely different story.
  • Reply 271 of 330
    Yeah,,,

At that level, the "actual act" never needs take place...

Probably, it went something like this:

Ballmer: "Hey Bill, What's this all about?"

Gates: "The Board and I have been discussing your desire to retire -- with this new direction we're taking, we would like your commitment to stay on up to 12 months until we find a qualified replacement -- to assure an orderly transition to the benefit of Microsoft, our customers and employees and Microsoft shareholders."

Ballmer; "Retire?  12 months?  Replacement?  New direction...  Orderly Transition...  Shareholders...  Er, Ah...  Yes...  My family will understand...  And we will appreciate it if you find a replacement ASAP -- but we also understand the need for an orderly transition... 12 months?   Yes, I will commit to stay on up to 12 months until you find a qualified replacement"

Gates: "The Board and I want to thank you far all you've done for Microsft -- and especially for your continued efforts in this matter!"

Ballmer: "No, Bill...  I want to thank you (and the Board) for the support given me over the years -- and especially for honoring my request to retire -- at your earliest convenience..."

Come on admit it … you bugged the meeting … ;)

Seriously I can imagine you are 100% correct … give or take. I doubt he jumped on the table and ranted although I hope they do that when they make the movie. :D
  • Reply 272 of 330
    You are 100% correct. Poor Microsoft had little choice though. There entire history relied upon using Apple as their R&D department, right up until OS X and iOS and they were simply left outside in the rain after that.

LOL. OK. Send me a copy of that history you were reading, please - I could use some silly right now ;)
  • Reply 273 of 330
    "What people" would that be?

I read through this entire thing and I didn't see anyone refusing to accept that Microsoft cannot go down (for lack of a better term).

I give the board much more credit than that.

Microsoft will be around for a long time. Without a proper mobile strategy, though, in 10 years they will be 2/3 of what they are today and 1/2 in 20 years... maybe less.

People who keep repeating that Microsoft is doomed. Quite a few around here.

Re their mobile strategy - they are late, but they do have good foundations in their existing (corporate-oriented) ecosystem. Really much deeper than iTunes/idevices one. True they could fail to monetize on that, but... it is not realistic to expect.

I think Google is aware of that perfectly well, thus their hostility toward Windows Phone 8 (and tablets outside of classic desktop).
  • Reply 274 of 330
    I hate to disagree with such a well written and argued post but I think you vastly over estimate Microsofts staying power as well as, and probably more importantly, the speed things can change. It was seemingly only months ago (in fact years now) folks were arguing on this very forum about Apple entering the phone market … tectonic shifts have occurred since. They can occur any time and do so more often these days, especially in technology.

Entire countries can undergo vast changes in what seems like the blink of an eye, look at Germany in 1930's or Russia before that and more recently, South Africa, Eastern Europe and so on … the world economy can be tanked by one country's political decisions, just check out America 2001 - 2009.

To believe one company is somehow so solid, even without taking into account its drastic demise in so many ways over the last decade, is 'head in the sand' thinking. Microsoft can become TWA, Pan Am or Kodak faster than you can say Vista or Zune and it will, my guess 10 years or so.

p.s. I was a Nikon guy, now solidly Canon … no wonder we disagree … ;)

I'm not a Nikon guy. My user name comes from first letters from my given and family name, and I mixed it back in mid '90 when only camera in my hands was Canon Prima Twin.

I have Nikon camera nowadays, but also a Sony and two Panasonics. I'm really trying to purchase what I think will work best for me, brand loyalty is in distant 2nd place.

Thus I have Windows desktop and laptop, but also an iPhone. I got Android tablet as a gift and am using it as it does the job for me, but regardless I have purchased two iPads for my mother in the last 3 years. While I'm willing to try Windows Phone 8 for my next phone, I'm also encouraging my wife to remain with Apple and grab new iPhone for herself. Best solution for each specific scenario.

I also work in IT since late '80. I have closely followed MS from DOS days. I have passionately supported alternatives, primarily Amiga platform but also Mac and ST. My opinion on MS is not based on my liking of them or not - frankly I'm quite neutral toward all of players in this game, I consider them all equally "evil", greedy on average, though different ones will spike in different periods - but on my exposure to Microsoft's strengths and weakness. Can surprises happen? Sure. But if I'd have to bet who among "big 3" - MS, Apple, Google - is likely to go down first, I doubt MS would be my first choice. Foundations that company sits on are just too strong. Granted, extra work on that foundation could go down much easier, but Microsoft's core is all but indestructible. Consumers can go from one platform to another easy, Platforms can be taken down by lawsuits, economic crisis can turn successful giant into niche brand ... but for Microsoft's legacy compliance and requirement for it among corporations and governments, you'd really need at least an average size Armageddon to take that tower down.

Could I be wrong? Sure. But I doubt it.
  • Reply 275 of 330
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    I'm not a Nikon guy. My user name comes from first letters from my given and family name, and I mixed it back in mid '90 when only camera in my hands was Canon Prima Twin.

I have Nikon camera nowadays, but also a Sony and two Panasonics. I'm really trying to purchase what I think will work best for me, brand loyalty is in distant 2nd place.

Thus I have Windows desktop and laptop, but also an iPhone. I got Android tablet as a gift and am using it as it does the job for me, but regardless I have purchased two iPads for my mother in the last 3 years. While I'm willing to try Windows Phone 8 for my next phone, I'm also encouraging my wife to remain with Apple and grab new iPhone for herself. Best solution for each specific scenario.

I also work in IT since late '80. I have closely followed MS from DOS days. I have passionately supported alternatives, primarily Amiga platform but also Mac and ST. My opinion on MS is not based on my liking of them or not - frankly I'm quite neutral toward all of players in this game, I consider them all equally "evil", greedy on average, though different ones will spike in different periods - but on my exposure to Microsoft's strengths and weakness. Can surprises happen? Sure. But if I'd have to bet who among "big 3" - MS, Apple, Google - is likely to go down first, I doubt MS would be my first choice. Foundations that company sits on are just too strong. Granted, extra work on that foundation could go down much easier, but Microsoft's core is all but indestructible. Consumers can go from one platform to another easy, Platforms can be taken down by lawsuits, economic crisis can turn successful giant into niche brand ... but for Microsoft's legacy compliance and requirement for it among corporations and governments, you'd really need at least an average size Armageddon to take that tower down.

Could I be wrong? Sure. But I doubt it.

Interesting analysis and it seems to even echo some of the more grounded tech press.

Of the big 3 tech companies MS, Google, and Apple many believe Apple to be the weakest link.

Although I don't personally agree their reasoning and yours as well makes sense.

MS has a strong enterprise presence and don't stand a chance at being replaced there.

Google's bread and butter is search and in that they don't stand a chance at being replaced. Android, Chrome, and all of their other initiatives make them no money and they could survive and thrive without them. Of course Google's biggest challenge would be Baidu.com, but even without China, Google is pretty set regardless of Glass or there other initiates taking off. Of course what the tech press doesn't take into account is if consumers and businesses change their behavior and no longer rely on Google for search. But it seems no one considers that possibility.

Apple on the other hand is fueled by consumers of whom are fickle. Apple's growth and success comes from having the latest must have product and without that they have less stability than MS or Google in the mind of the tech press. And of course people think Apple's ecosystem is replaceable with Amazon's or even Google's but that's still far from true. Apple has proven over the past decades that they are more than just a flash in the pan fad as well.

Anyway, I don't agree with the pundits that write Apple off, but I can at least understand why they would feel that Apple is in a weaker position than even MS.
  • Reply 276 of 330
    Yup.

Microsoft is in no danger and they're still a highly profitable company.

As you said they aren't going anywhere and will remain a pretty large force in the market for decades to come.

Even with their open failures under Ballmer, during this time we've seen their most ingenious product yet. Office 365.

Now Microsoft will have a consistent cash cow that will keep their coffers full every month of the year.

With their strangle hold on corporations already in place I'm surprised no one else at Redmond thought of a subscription service model until now.

Microsofts profits are sure to go up with every corporation and government moving to the subscription based 365 service, so we'll see Microsoft around at least as a corporate player for decades to come.

But 365 will be good for iOS as well. Microsoft is bring 365 support to iOS devices so people no longer need to clamor for Microsoft to make a native office app.

IMO 365 for iOS also relegates iWork on iCloud to a consumer niche and not a business tool

We have been Microsoft-free for years now (slange) -- so I must rely on others' hands-on experiences. Not knowing what Office 365 comprises, I surfed for some reviews. I found a 4.5 star review at PCWorld:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2383731,00.asp

But that didn't give much detail -- then I found:

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Office-Premium-Subscription-Download/product-reviews/B00B1TEIRU

There are some real horror stories here if you read the individual reviews...

Apparently, Office 365 is the same-old-same-old bloated Office 2013 (on Windows) and Office 2011 (on the Mac). But it has been repackaged with cloud storage and is installable on up to 5 devices * for an annual subscription of $99.

* Somewhere I read (can't find a link) that the T&C of using Office 365 on 5 devices is that none of the devices can be use for business or business-like (non-profit) activities.

Based on the sub-thread about iWorks beta on iCloud, I was particularly interested in the online Office 365 apps running from a browser... In particular, their feature set, file compatibility and performance. I couldn't find any reviews, articles or tutorials -- and get the impression that the "cloud" part of Office 365 is just used for storing and synching files accessible from PCs, Macs and a the few Surface tablets in use.

What am I missing?
  • Reply 277 of 330
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Apologies if this has already been highlighted. 

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9241867/Ballmer_forced_out_after_900M_Surface_RT_debacle

Ballmer forced out after $900M Surface RT debacle

Steve Ballmer was forced out of his CEO chair by Microsoft's board of directors, who hit the roof when the company took a $900 million write-off to account for an oversupply of the firm's struggling Surface RT tablet, an analyst argued today.

"He was definitely pushed out by the board," said Patrick Moorhead, principal analyst with Moor Insights & Strategy, in an interview Friday. "They either drove him out, or put him in a situation where he felt he had to leave to save face."

The biggest clue that Ballmer was pushed and didn't leave of his own free will was the 12-month timetable Microsoft said it would use to find a CEO successor. "Typically, a board will be working behind the scenes for a replacement, but they've given themselves 12 months," said Moorhead. "I think this went down very quickly."

• Reply 278 of 330
    LOL. OK. Send me a copy of that history you were reading, please - I could use some silly right now ;)

Oh, you haven't been following DED's features then? :)

By the way, my camera choice isn't about 'brand loyalty' … as with my computer choices, it's about quality, performance and how they empower me to do my thing … hence Canon for DSLRs (got to love those L lenses!) , and Apple for computing and Sony for HD pro video cameras and I am seriously thinking Tesla for next car … Obviously all just my personal opinions in all cases but also based on 35+ years in the tech field mainly as a CEO of various tech based companies in UK and USA. Now semi retired and playing with most of these things :)

edit I had to add the + to 35 :(
  • Reply 279 of 330
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

[/COLOR][/I][/B]

We have been Microsoft-free for years now (slange) -- so I must rely on others' hands-on experiences. Not knowing what Office 365 comprises, I surfed for some reviews. I found a 4.5 star review at PCWorld:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2383731,00.asp

But that didn't give much detail -- then I found:

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Office-Premium-Subscription-Download/product-reviews/B00B1TEIRU

There are some real horror stories here if you read the individual reviews...

Apparently, Office 365 is the same-old-same-old bloated Office 2013 (on Windows) and Office 2011 (on the Mac). But it has been repackaged with cloud storage and is installable on up to 5 devices * for an annual subscription of $99.

* Somewhere I read (can't find a link) that the T&C of using Office 365 on 5 devices is that none of the devices can be use for business or business-like (non-profit) activities.

Based on the sub-thread about iWorks beta on iCloud, I was particularly interested in the online Office 365 apps running from a browser... In particular, their feature set, file compatibility and performance. I couldn't find any reviews, articles or tutorials -- and get the impression that the "cloud" part of Office 365 is just used for storing and synching files accessible from PCs, Macs and a the few Surface tablets in use.

What am I missing?

You're not missing anything I don't think and the low reviews don't surprise me.

Microsoft did not have consumer's best interest in mind when they moved to Office 365. 

Most people that I knew that would use Office would only upgrade once every 5 or more years anyway, so what Microsoft is trying to do is get more money from these people that probably wouldn't be upgrading anyway.

Well on the consumer side this is going to fail woefully, and most people will probably shun Office 365 unless it is given to them by their employer for at home use.

Where 365 is going to do well for Microsoft is businesses. Businesses already have to deal with renewing licenses with Microsoft and now MS is going to make it more straight forward. They're giving businesses the ease of paying $99 per employee per year for the full Office suite plus new cloud storage solutions.

It's a win for Microsoft because they'll be collecting more money from businesses than before, and it's a win for businesses in the small sense that it simplifies the licensing process and gives employees access to some files via the cloud at home.

But all that to say for the consumer space I'm starting to think Office Suites and the like may be dying. People are probably content with putting together quick docs on Google or other free alternatives. Steve was right that the idea of documents and even a file system are all dying and will soon be dinosaur concepts. But regardless this won't affect Microsoft's bread and butter in the enterprise which won't be leaving Office anytime in the near future.

• Reply 280 of 330
    You're not missing anything I don't think and the low reviews don't surprise me.

Microsoft did not have consumer's best interest in mind when they moved to Office 365. 

Most people that I knew that would use Office would only upgrade once every 5 or more years anyway, so what Microsoft is trying to do is get more money from these people that probably wouldn't be upgrading anyway.

Well on the consumer side this is going to fail woefully, and most people will probably shun Office 365 unless it is given to them by their employer for at home use.

Where 365 is going to do well for Microsoft is businesses. Businesses already have to deal with renewing licenses with Microsoft and now MS is going to make it more straight forward. They're giving businesses the ease of paying $99 per employee per year for the full Office suite plus new cloud storage solutions.

It's a win for Microsoft because they'll be collecting more money from businesses than before, and it's a win for businesses in the small sense that it simplifies the licensing process and gives employees access to some files via the cloud at home.

But all that to say for the consumer space I'm starting to think Office Suites and the like may be dying. People are probably content with putting together quick docs on Google or other free alternatives. Steve was right that the idea of documents and even a file system are all dying and will soon be dinosaur concepts. But regardless this won't affect Microsoft's bread and butter in the enterprise which won't be leaving Office anytime in the near future.

Agreed. I went Microsoft free a few years back other than Netflix requiring SilverLight but I'm one guy these days. Many Corporates and especially their IT departments will hang on for grim death to what they know. It is one of IT's last islands to make a stand on for control. The answer to this, I think, is giving them a way out. The Mac itself and more so iOS devices have seen a huge increase in acceptance by these bastions of self interest and Office is about all many still cling to. If Apple were to seriously look at a Pro version of iWorks, even if it means very few sales in their core market, it may be a trojan horse and a life boat to IT as Windows sinks slowly in the west. I wonder if Apple could get a jump start by adopting one of the better open source Office Suites and licensing it and developing it to be genuinely OS X and iOS.

What cracks me up in this and many threads are those folks posting and citing 'many years in IT' as a basis for their 'expert', pro Microsoft opinions! Ha!